Author Topic: A few ideas for SFCO  (Read 1957 times)

Offline The Bloody-Nine

• View Profile
A few ideas for SFCO
« on: August 23, 2013, 08:50:15 AM »
We had a bit of brainstorming and came up with a few ideas for SFCO to spark some discussion:

1.  Ability to trade our items, this could give another use to the Charon as a transport for items. Case in point: if I win a Lunar architect, but have all my moons it would seem to make sense that I could trade it to someone who could actually use it.

2.Fewer NPC's. make it more profitable to hit other players. A quarter of the amount of points or maybe even no DSP for NPC hits.

3.  Make the Lucky Draw prizes worth a damn:
-30 day P marker
-Planet Moves
-50k in credits
-Any kind of credits for that matter
-10x trade merchant
-1 permanent tech upgrade
-1k of a ship
Not asking for these every time, but even to have a .01% to get a high value prize would be nice and make the lucky draw exciting and relevant.  I don't think it would necesarily level the playing field to include every item and aspect BFG has to offer in the Lucky Draw, but at least it gives someone a chance to use them and a chance to get them even as a non-paying player.

4. Improve the war system:
-Give sides who choose to go to war more options for rules
-ability for multi-alliance wars such as 2vs2 or even 4vs4

5.  I know that it's not in the BFG books, but a compression would be nice, get us all in closer together. 

6.  More Badges (I know, I know, we don't need no stinking badges).  I think if we had more badges indicating the types of players we are:
-100 active player attacks, 1000 active player attacks, ect.
-50 million debris field on active player attack, 100 million debris field, ect.
-attacked 1000 NPC consecutively, 5000 NPC consecutively, ect.
-War badges

7.  Have the Hephaestus as a singularly upgradable unit, and when destroyed the upgrades are lost as well.  Example:
-Go from Hephaestus Attack Platform, upgrade to Hephaestus Colossus platform (slower and larger trade cap), and finally upgrade to Hephaestus Flagship much faster then either, holds less, small cap on trade). 
-if the Hephaestus flagship is taken out, then you have to build a new Hephaestus and start from scratch.

8.  Limit the amount of players to an alliance, say 50 or even 25. 

9.  eliminate NAP's altogether.

10.  DSP calculation from Nova

11.  Fleet escape to help with new players learning the game

12.  Advertise on Facebook, even a short campaign could bring a lot of new blood in with the cost per click on advertising likely having a great return.

Offline Pantin

• View Profile
Re: A few ideas for SFCO
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »
1. I suggested that to Matt a while ago, I actually proposed it so that it would only be in alliance trades so to promote alliance play, but they don't seem interested in applying it. Bottom line is it's a marginal add-on gameplay wise, and it takes away some profits from BFG, so they prefer to spend their R&D time on new, more "fun", game improvements (new ships, territories, etc).

2. SFC Nova, Conquest and SDE Nova are all unis that already don't give DSP for NPCs. Admittedly Conquest is brooo-khun but the other two are okay. BFG isn't going to get rid of NPC DSP in existing unis.

3. 30 day P, TMs, and other Credit-like items are already winnable in the lucky draw. I think your beef is more with the amount of utter crap we get compared to the amount of decent stuff, because some/most of the items you listed are already winnable. You gotta remember though that we didn't have any of this before, the LD is intended to be a marginal bonus to nromal account building. I think a bunch of people would get pissed if the game was dumbed down to whoever gets the luckiest in teh LD, not to mention all uni starts would be utterly plagues with LD warriors like Nova was at the beginning.

6. I asked for new badges back in SDE too, the impression I got from the answer was "Meh". See argument #1.

7. Not sure about this, if you want a heph that trades more, build a big WH on a planet; if you want a faster heph, tech warp more or MAC around...6 Granted those aren't great solutions but they do exist game wise.

10. Most people hate the DSP calc from Nova (I love it). I think if you want Nopva's DSP calc... and no DSP for NPCs... maybe you should just move to Nova ;)

11. Fleet escape was another thing people hated in Nova, plus it only applies at the very start of an account's development. If you want to protect noobs more, you should just push for Npva's perma noob protection, which would make people hate you even more than they already do for proposing to implement Nova's fleet escape and DSP calc :p

Offline Xsel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 02:10:28 PM »
That's what I did in conquest built a big hydro warehouse it at 30 I trade up to 66 billion

Vastet

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 02:59:19 PM »
1: +1
2: +1
3: +1
4: +1
5: No comment
6: +1
7: +1. Even 5 levels of Warp don't significantly change Heph speed because the base is so low. It would be awesome to be able to increase the speed by an actually significant amount. And having it be a 1-time upgrade makes perfect sense.
8: +1
9: No.
10: DSP should be calculated based on what involved ships can do damage and divided by involved fleet rsp. There should not be any other mitigating factors. You should not be able to get DSP by sending probes, nor attacking NPCs. Attacking (i) should give DSP. Rank should not affect aquired DSP.
11: No. It could merely allow noobs to think they'll always have a chance at dodging even if they are offline, leading to a much nastier surprise when they have a decent fleet instead of scraps.
12: +1

Offline Dr NoLove

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 02:54:09 AM »
I love a few of the suggestions but realize they are unlikely to happen because of monetization issues. E.g trading items.

One idea that could possibly happen is heph upgrades. Perhaps we could flesh that idea out.

Offline the red emperor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 09:01:03 PM »
thank you for the constructive feedback on how to fix a boring game. hopefully bfg will participate in discussion on some of these good ideas. 

Offline Audacious

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 06:29:36 AM »
2. I suggest a return to the static npc's in the beginning of nova but with space mines and curetes. They should only be to help build up in the first few months, not replace pvp, in most cases hitting npc's is more economical than hitting players.

4. This is a good one, i recommend an option that would require a minimal amount of dsp or resources plundered the attacker obtains to count towards the war effort, this could prevent sat bashing and nuking/raiding for overnight res.

5. I am personally against it, i prefer a spacious uni over a cramped one, to hunt it would require more skill than simply probing everything within 100 system radious and launching at whatever fleet just happens to be unattended.

7. I don't think anyone would just choose the colusses upgrade over the fast one, particularily since you can merchant more on hydro storages than hephs. Maybe the fast one could have a base speed of 400 and the big one a built in warpgate.

9. I see no reason for this.

11. It would just make new players lazy, they need to learn how to frs. I suggest an improved tutorial instead.

I agree with everything else.

Offline ushio_kun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 01:57:31 AM »
1.  Ability to trade our items, this could give another use to the Charon as a transport for items. Case in point: if I win a Lunar architect, but have all my moons it would seem to make sense that I could trade it to someone who could actually use it. +1,000,000

2.Fewer NPC's. make it more profitable to hit other players. A quarter of the amount of points or maybe even no DSP for NPC hits. hell no we need more to hit there aren't enough people near me as it is

3.  Make the Lucky Draw prizes worth a damn: +1,000,000
-30 day P marker
-Planet Moves
-50k in credits
-Any kind of credits for that matter
-10x trade merchant
-1 permanent tech upgrade
-1k of a ship
Not asking for these every time, but even to have a .01% to get a high value prize would be nice and make the lucky draw exciting and relevant.  I don't think it would necesarily level the playing field to include every item and aspect BFG has to offer in the Lucky Draw, but at least it gives someone a chance to use them and a chance to get them even as a non-paying player.

4. Improve the war system: +1
-Give sides who choose to go to war more options for rules
-ability for multi-alliance wars such as 2vs2 or even 4vs4

5.  I know that it's not in the BFG books, but a compression would be nice, get us all in closer together. 

6.  More Badges (I know, I know, we don't need no stinking badges).  I think if we had more badges indicating the types of players we are:
-100 active player attacks, 1000 active player attacks, ect.
-50 million debris field on active player attack, 100 million debris field, ect.
-attacked 1000 NPC consecutively, 5000 NPC consecutively, ect.
-War badges +1

7.  Have the Hephaestus as a singularly upgradable unit, and when destroyed the upgrades are lost as well.  Example:
-Go from Hephaestus Attack Platform, upgrade to Hephaestus Colossus platform (slower and larger trade cap), and finally upgrade to Hephaestus Flagship much faster then either, holds less, small cap on trade). 
-if the Hephaestus flagship is taken out, then you have to build a new Hephaestus and start from scratch. maybe

8.  Limit the amount of players to an alliance, say 50 or even 25. ummmm, no

9.  eliminate NAP's altogether. don't care

10.  DSP calculation from Nova don't care

11.  Fleet escape to help with new players learning the game hell yes if I had 10 ships and 1000 rolled up on me I'd be getting the hell outta dodge, simple logic

12.  Advertise on Facebook, even a short campaign could bring a lot of new blood in with the cost per click on advertising likely having a great return. +1000

Offline The Bloody-Nine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 01:23:21 AM »
A few more ideas for SFC:

1.   Take away the restriction with the amount of players attacking another player.  There are such large gaps between players that it would level the playing field in many ways, increase player communication, and increase quality of game play.
2.   My understanding was that a Heph could be part of an NPC fleet (never seen that myself).  I thought it would be a good idea to have an NPC unit that was a Heph, loaded with ships representing the Hephs out there.  The NPC would be around for 12-24 hours and would jump ever 2-4 hours in the galaxy from 1-25 systems over.
3.   Allow for formation when traveling in groups with Hephs.  It would be nice to launch a Heph and have your buddies jump and land about the same time as you.
4.   Increased Newbie protection: it would appear that when players get out of newbie protection and they’re instantly assailed by a certain class of players who enjoy attacking players who are still learning and growing.   
5.   Increased options for war rules: No players using P, No dropping alliance tags during war, group attacks count for more points, ect.
6.   Include chat function from Darkfire to be used in SFC.
7.   Have NPC with O AWS for all levels or not have them at all. 
8.  Lucky Draw Prizes that are worth a damn.
9.   Separate DSP for live player attacks.  I don’t know a single player who would object to that and if there are some that do, I would love to hear as to why.

Offline lazoputz

• we shall never surrender. Winston Churchill
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 04:57:21 AM »
I will try to respond to some of your ides, Bloody 9.
1: Sure, why not? The group efforts available in the game are a large part of the enjoyment, allowing larger GA's would serve to enhance this.
2: Apparently, NPCs CAN include a Heph, although it is my experience that this is so rare as to be effectively non-existent.
3: any good wolfpack already does that by timing their launches so they land about the same time. Why make it easier by taking some of the math and strategy out?
4:When a new player appears within my targeting area, I generally buddy up with them on a temporary basis, so I can sorta watch over them while they learn to swim. If I have little or no interaction with them during this period, I usually cut the apron strings once they learn the ropes.
5: There should be far more variables available when setting up war parameters.
6: Dont care, I use Skype for all group planning. It doesnt take up any screen space, and also have the facility for voice and/or video communications.
7: Again, this is theoretically possible, although I havent personally seen it. But I have seen zerotechs so large that it takes my entire fleet multiple hits to take them out. This doesnt make a lot of sense, since without techs, there should be very few ships and defenses available to build, no?
8: can I get an AMEN!!!
9: Separating DSP in any existing game would be pointless now, unless the records are sufficiently accessible to back date it to the advent of the NPCs. Not a bad idea for those that are looking forward to future games though.

Offline The Bloody-Nine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 12:43:37 AM »
Thanks Lazoputz!  Wanted to add a bit more in response to your comments and a few more ideas.

2. I was thinking that there would be a new dynamic when it comes to NPCs; that BFG would include a roaming NPC Heph to add a wrinkle to the game.  I think with the limited amount of one time in a single spot before it moved to a new one and the profitability inducing people to launch on an elusive target would increase competition, place value on strategic approach, and add more risk to attacking an NPC (such as if it lifted before you landed, or someone beat you to it).
4.  I think that there are a portion of players, such as yourself, who help new players in the game.  I think a majority of people are dismissive of new players neither helping nor hindering their time in the game.  I was thinking of friends that I've gotten to join the game and were set upon by the same group of players with attacks, IBMs, and even planet moves for quick attacks and intimidation.  In the end they left SFC and I honestly don't blame them.  I wish there was more in place to protect new players as I think the current system to be antiquated with how much growth there has been since those rules were put in place.
7.  If it were up to me there would be no more zero tech NPC.  They offer such large amounts of profits to top players or groups of upper mid players that it creates further separation on a playing field that is far from level. 
9.  For me separating the DSp wouldn't be pointless, but do wonder if that is even possible for BFG as other Unis have it set up so DSP is given for all ships or DSP given for active players only.

____
10.  New war badges: I think that there should be heck of a lot more war badges and badges in general (Yes, we do need some stinking badges!).  Examples: 1.  Checkmate-scoring the winning hit in a war.  2.  First Blood-scoring the first hit in a war. Ect..

Offline occuli imperator

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 05:49:44 AM »
When BFG actualy did anything we ask for ???
mainly in Original..
seriously, how difficult to bring a few new ships in original ??
or even getting an answer from Matt....
very frustrating, but taking our payement is always quickly taking in consideration....

a more customer service would be nice .
My enemy’s enemy is a problem for later: In the meantime, they might be useful.

Offline Pantin

• View Profile

Offline Like 43 Ninjas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 09:15:43 AM »
Why would you want to limit the very thing that is keeping this game together? Limiting NPC is not they way to go to make SFCO more competitive. If you take the NPC out of the game you will end up losing a major part of the original universe.  If you are looking for a more competitive universe join hired guns or nova. No npc dsp just recourse. The npc has become such a major part of this universe. Without it the original will crumble away. Every single person in the SFCO relies on the NPC for one thing or another weather they would like to admit it or not. Its a fun way to play the game and yet still get some pvp. Blue Frog doesn't make you hunt NPC thats your choice. I would vote to leave the npc alone but add the roaming heph. Then again thats just my two cents.  ;D
A nuclear war can ruin your whole day.

Offline arbitraryfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 01:41:29 PM »
Agree with everything you listed except maybe 10 and 11

10 dsp is dsp so shouldn't matter whose ships they are

11 I think this would be counter-productive. Better if someone gets their ships smashed when they don't yet have alot of them rather than when they do so it doesn't hurt as much
Competing in conquest is like competing in the special Olympics. Even if you win...