contact
September 21, 2017, 12:27:54 PM

Author Topic: Just a thought  (Read 644 times)

Offline Gershwyn

• View Profile
Just a thought
« on: March 17, 2012, 10:24:43 PM »
I don't know if this has been suggested and I doubt it would work but here it is for the sake of anyone who wants it:

Player X wants to attack Player Y's Moon Fleet but Player Y has a Warp Gate so Player X doesn't want to get ninja'd since he doesn't know what Player Y has. At the same time, he doesn't want to wait. Player X has the ability to Buddy Lock Player Y's Fleet if so desired.

So Player X hopes that Player Y is stupid and launches a MAC with Poseidon and/or Hades and Athena to land next to Player Y's Moon. When the MAC is timed out XX:XX:XX, Player X launches an attack with the bulk of his fleet at the moon. Player Y sees the attack incoming and warps in a fleet large enough to destroy Player X's fleet. The gate is effectively shut down for an hour.

Mid-Attack: Player X's MAC lands and his (or more) Hades, Poseidons and Athena join the attack to influence the attack. Player X then uses speed augments (from lucky draw) to alter the speed of the attack and when the attack lands, Player Y's fleet is destroyed.

I would ask if this is a plausible scenario, but in typing realized simply that I'd just frs my fleet from my moon in said scenario if I were online and watching. I suppose if someone warped their fleet and then thought the battle was over, they might not stay online but I think you'd have to be either pretty stupid or in a real life emergency for that to occur.

Still, any thoughts, modifications or opinions???
--Gershwyn

Offline the enforcer

• View Profile
Re: Just a thought
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 10:50:46 PM »
you can't use speed boosts on fleets already in motion.

Morat

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 02:01:16 AM »
Yet to be definitively proven whether the speed change DOESN'T take effect at the turnaround point ;) , but that'd only affect return locks anyway.

In the original situation, I'd stay off the moon, watch what was happening and either last minute FRS or ninja the lot. I think I see what you were saying, but even if the speed augments worked mid-flight they wouldn't make enough difference to be noticeable. Chances are if a target is smart enough to gate-ninja you, the tactics suggested wouldn't help, although you *could* trap his fleet on the moon until the gate opened up again, but unless there's no H there at all that won't help you.

Offline INAPPROPRIATE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 06:00:48 AM »
Two major flaws with this theory.

1. It's going to take your hades at least what 25 minutes to hit the planet?!? Players with warp gAtes do not warp in until the last 5 seconds or so i typically wait for around 4 seconds so it wont matter what you add.

The only way to defeat a gate is to.. Look at their profile and fleet rank and use their fleet score to estimate the potential ships. I always assume it is hades/proms/athena always best to over estimate.

You then launch a fleet that can take whats on the other side of the gate. How ever if they are on line they will just frs.