contact
November 20, 2017, 03:50:44 AM

Author Topic: be wery quiet, we be wabbit hunting. (matt strategy)  (Read 1666 times)

Offline toffeecrisp

• View Profile
be wery quiet, we be wabbit hunting. (matt strategy)
« on: April 11, 2012, 11:56:33 AM »
ok here is a guide on trapping, there are 2 options i'll be explaining depending on whether you are using gated moons or planets and i'll make the distinction once the ground work has been laid...

so, we have a universe entirely mapped thanks to the diligent (grrrrrr) scripts out there which map all of your recent locations whenever local users scan the galaxy page.. this is probably the most important part of the trap...

the day you decide to trap, send out a colony (preferably to a quiet region in space and time) with a small amount of hydrogen onboard. This allows you to circumvent the scripts in use and gives u a place to watch fleet and galaxy pages without fear of spoiling your traps....

next, consider your available targets... you want to consider your entire fleet against that of your local foes, this is because if you leave to much, when the fleet 3 times your superior comes and tries to take your bait, your entire fleet wont make a profit from engaging and you'll have to show activity and/or jump your fleet which defeats the purpose of this exercise.

so, using the right bait is essential to any good trap. a good rule of thumb is to consider (bait)*3(x)*3(y) where x is your opponent and y is the bulk of your fleet.

after the bait is set you'll have to conceal your main fleet

this is reasonably easily done with warp gates, leaving your fleet on a far away gate and jumping in the last seconds to leave little room for even the most attentive of attackers.

however, trapping on a planet can be done in 2 ways, probe hopping, or recalling harvest missions..

probe hopping is only as good as the attention you pay to your trap, and leaves little room for error, it involves keeping notes on hydrogen levels and lifting hydrogen with the fleet every time a probe is about to contact your planet. (usually leaving this til 10 seconds out is good enough) you need to recall just before the probe lands, so that your fleet returns in time to leave galaxy screen timers with the correct time and you must move back to your new colony in order to let the activity die.

recalling harvest mission, can be hit and miss, however with friends help you can "cover" a returning fleet with a probe splash. Probe splashs are when you are attacked by probes in order to leave debris, this can give the impression to would be attackers that you were probed and as long as their upcoming probe shows no changes that its ok to proceed with the hit. a good rule of thumb to consider here is the average player scans 50 galaxies but will rarely send any sizeable attack over 25 due to hydrogen restrictions, so work out the time it takes and double it..this sets the basis for your harvest mission length...u may have to cast out several times, but usually you'll get a bite at some point.

both probe jumping and recall harvest mission, require you to lift hydrogen with your fleets, in order to mask that there has been any used, remember to keep a count and replace the planets store with what u took.

with warp gate ninja's you only get one bite of the cherry, you should have all operations set out in tabs BEFORE you attempt to trap, so that you may just change tab and execute actions almost instantaneously, this includes harvesters on the planet u are trapping, as u will have 5 seconds maximum to lift them off, and u dont need lag taking your profit in dio losses.

these methods are for the patient hunters, if you expect a quick kill go mac around and take your chances, if you want to use your opponents aggressive nature to your benefit, trap them with there own ability, what they see makes their mind up and you can control it.

Morat

Re: be wery quiet, we be wabbit hunting. (matt strategy)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 02:31:25 PM »
Only thing I'd say about that is that the last 5 times I tried sending out a hideout colony in SFCO it was on a parser within 2 hours of landing. And that's with picking out of the way spots and scanning the system and surroundings myself first.

Otherwise, good post.

Offline Jasonb_03

• me Scrotus, you DSP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:28:18 PM »
oh wow, isn't there still 20 or 35 g's or something there? I guess seeing the new NPCs or inactives is all the rage.
I AM SCROTUS   HEAR ME ROAR lol

Offline 2$Bill

• CONVERT TO ISLAM!!!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.suckitoklahoma.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 03:27:05 AM »
Only thing I'd say about that is that the last 5 times I tried sending out a hideout colony in SFCO it was on a parser within 2 hours of landing. And that's with picking out of the way spots and scanning the system and surroundings myself first.

Otherwise, good post.
\

The firefly parser will find your planet in roughly a day.  That other one will go so damn quick, it's not even funny.  The funny thing is I have 6 Mac slots.  And the parsers have picked up so many planets now, that some people think I have 16 planets.
Inventor of the "Support Rulings Forum"
Survivor of a direct confrontation with the Google [bot]
Winner of an argument with myself!

Quote from: \"Admiral Firebringer\"
I hate you people

Morat

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 03:41:52 AM »
LOL! Allah is beneficent ;)

Offline Chekkin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
What parser are you talking about 2$bill?
Broseidon, bropollo, brometheus...

On the first day god created bros. On the second day god created hos.

Offline Matt H

• Blue Frog Gaming
  • Community Manager
    • Facebook - matt.hirschfelt
    • LinkedIn - matthirschfelt
    • Skype - MattH_BFG
    • Twitter - MattHirschfelt
    • View Profile
    • Blue Frog Gaming
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 02:06:19 PM »
He was likely talking about BANG! at the time of his post. BANG! is now run by Quinn Dexter, I believe, and is called Astrospy.
Connect with BFG:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Official Website
  |
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
Connect with me:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
LinkedIn
Offline Chekkin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 02:13:16 PM »
Automated with one click?
Broseidon, bropollo, brometheus...

On the first day god created bros. On the second day god created hos.

birthmark-ant