contact
November 20, 2017, 03:44:14 AM

Author Topic: Is this right?  (Read 1074 times)

Offline INAPPROPRIATE

• View Profile
Is this right?
« on: June 06, 2012, 06:50:32 PM »
I tried to launch 110 Ares Bombers at a target 19 systems away it required just shy of 57k Hydrogen.. Was like 56,688.. I couldn't send the bombers solo due them not having enough storage?!?

Seriously you can't send bombers 19 systems? With out having to attach some cargos? Damn things are expensive to operate but very effective vs fodder defense. I'm thinking the storage capacity should bumped so that you can at least attack w/ in 20 systems.

Morat

Re: Is this right?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 11:31:26 PM »
Yup, that gobsmacked me when I first tried Ares solo. They're a very powerful ship, so the short range makes sense to balance out some of its other goodness :)

Offline INAPPROPRIATE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 01:04:58 AM »
Yeah they are very effective against defensive fodder. A lot of players under estimate their value and don't build them due to their hydrogen consumption. 500 bombers can make an attsck turtle profitable.

Nice part is hercs are fairly durable so they can fill the fuel consumption issues.

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 03:24:03 PM »
I usually use Ares and Proms together, particularly against a target with significant Gauss and/or Plasma cannons.  The Ares help clear out the fodder during the first round of attack, the Proms help screen the Ares from the Plasmas, and, with the fodder gone on the first round or two, the Proms then can pound the Plasmas more effectively.  With this combo, I've never run across the range limitation of the Ares.

Morat

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 04:56:28 PM »
Exactly, it rarely comes up for just the reason you said, which is why it's so surprising when it does. I must have been playing about a year when I first sent Ares out solo (I haven't a clue why now, but it was probably a target with a lot of fodder defence and no Gauss/Plasmas, so Proms weren't needed) and I was very surprised by how short their range is solo.

Offline INAPPROPRIATE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 11:47:58 PM »
Well the ares are fairly close to the proms. Main difference is the hull and attack rating. I do typically pair them with proms. But when a player goes i i calc it to see if just ares can clear the defenses.

I do know if it's heavily defended hercs are a better option over atlas. The hercs are a little meatier and hold up better.

Offline the enforcer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 08:37:40 AM »
Well I rarely use hercs cause they are slower than my proms ares. 2k atlas vs 400 hercs behind 3.5k proms 1k ares isn't a big difference in replacement cost.