contact
September 21, 2017, 12:24:54 PM

Author Topic: False advertisement and sweeping it under the rug!  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Zarchne

• View Profile
Re: False advertisement and sweeping it under the rug!
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 09:03:06 AM »
Did some work on the Neutrality Marker writeup... not completely satisfied...

Okay, modified Hepha's page, too.

Still not completely satisfied (won't be... can't be), but I think this issue is pretty well covered now.

Offline Ali Baba

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 09:16:15 AM »
OMG that made me Laugh i needed that Laugh...

Offline -

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 07:20:54 AM »
In theory this could lead to potential law suite

Just my two cents, anyone who feels he needs to start a law suite cuz he lost his fleet should spent a dime on a lawyer, you need that money to pay your alienist, cuz seriously, if you are actually thinking of starting a law suite over a game, you have a serious problem.

Offline Zarchne

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 09:13:54 PM »
That's right... law suites are like, well over $20/sq ft per month.

Offline lazoputz

• we shall never surrender. Winston Churchill
    • Skype - lazoputz1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 11:24:43 PM »
Ya but for that money, they come furnished

Offline commander abаб

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 12:28:59 AM »
Lol

Offline Mazian

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2014, 11:42:30 PM »
Well, I'm glad I saw this (and the related) thread.  It's a very clever tactic.  It's perfectly legal.  However, it really does take someone with a nuanced understanding of and experience with the game to be able to figure this one out w/out being told about it.

The updated statement in the wiki is *better* than the description that unequivocally stated safety from "All Attacks" - which is just misleading. 

"A Neutrality Marker is an item that, when activated, will protect your account from new attacks and espionage (but not Oracle scans) for a period of time."

The argument that the attack was launched originally on a not-the-player-in-p-mode target doesn't obviate the fact that the p-moded player's heph is ... well ... part of the account/assets that were under protection from "all" attacks. Even the descriptor "new" isn't quite accurate either since - however rare it might be - the tactic would still exist, and a "new" attack could still be launched after the p-marker was deployed.

Frankly, I'd make such an attack bounce, but - having said that - it's still an exploitable tactic, and until it changes (which looks unlikely) it is what it is.

Besides, it's not so much as an attack as it is like getting hit by a train that comes out of nowhere when you just happen to be crossing the tracks.

Where it really feels unfair is that you have no idea that train is coming.  Even with an o-lock or a blind timed attack, you see'em rushing at you head on.  Might not be able to do jack about it ... but you do see it coming.

Nasty.  Clever, but nasty. :)

Offline Mazian

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2014, 11:44:14 PM »
I wonder if the suite has a full-on kitchen.  Is there a jacuzzi maybe?  Cuz then, I'll want to join that class action suite.  :P

Offline sgt tj hooker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 03:48:10 AM »
simple fix is put a triangle on the hef when the mac pops

easy

its a bug if you cant see the attack to recall.

you should have just stated the issue clearly.

otherwise deployment from planet is no go.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 06:42:30 AM by sgt tj hooker »

Offline Wargasm

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2014, 12:36:34 PM »
If you're stupid enough to deploy a heph from a planet (in an oracle universe), you deserve to have it destroyed.  If you can afford to build a heph, you can afford to build a moon to hide the deployment.

But for the idiots that insist on going against the grain... deploy a colony to the same spot the heph is going.  Launch the gaia, wait about 30 seconds before it will colonize and then deploy the heph.  No one can lock you, and if they did manage to see it in that 30 second window, they have to slow their attack down to 1.5 hours (or whatever your universe speed is) and you have plenty of time to send zeus, call for support, or even recall the heph deploy if you have to.

Offline lazoputz

• we shall never surrender. Winston Churchill
    • Skype - lazoputz1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 04:16:31 PM »
Ya, I think the key here is too stay alert to the Hephs destination. Tough one, but it is a ploy that I would use if the opportunity arose. simply because of the satisfaction gained by pulling a very complex maneuver out of the bag.

birthmark-ant