contact
November 20, 2017, 03:45:55 AM

Author Topic: Moonshot advice  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Pure Intension

• In game name: Pure Intension
    • View Profile
Moonshot advice
« on: May 17, 2014, 01:30:47 AM »
Any advice for moonshots

Offline Zarchne

• View Profile
Re: Moonshot advice
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 01:36:43 AM »
Most important thing is knowing that there is no trick, it's just blowing up 10,000,000 crystal and/or ore over your planet(s) an average of 5 (but usually more or less than that) times for each moon.  The easiest way to do it is to build several hundred Arties and have a player who can afford it attack them with probes, 10,000 at a time.

Offline millsman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 07:31:25 PM »
If you can afford the 10,000 credits, a lunar architect doubles the maximum probability of a moon forming from 20% to 40%. 

Always send enough ships for the maximum probability (for example 10,000 probes).  The moon size is also dependent on the amount of debris.  The larger the moon, the harder it is to destroy in a moon destruction attempt. 
Nova - Predator
SFCO - Admiral Lightyear (retired)
To Infinity...and Beyond!!!

Offline yrx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 10:01:39 AM »
All it takes is a battle where a ton of debris is created.  Any battle which generates 150,000 debris has a 1% chance at a moon shot... but you want the battle to generate exactly 3,000,000 debris, and a 20% chance at creating a moon.  Also, in NOVA, moons can be destroyed.  Smaller diameter moons are easier to destroy.  Bigger moon shots make bigger diameter moons which are harder to destroy.  Use that full 20%!  Your moon will be safer.  If you can use a lunar architect, it will double your chance, so that 3,000,000 debris gives you a 40% chance.  Be sure to have that full value if you use the lunar architect.

When a ship is destroyed in battle, 30% of the ore and crystal spent to build it becomes debris.  Obviously, any hydrogen you spent to build ships for a moon shot will be a waste.  You want ships that cost ore and crystal.  Ships built for the purpose of creating a moon are "the moonshot fleet."

Now, there are three basic ways to destroy the moonshot fleet:  Park it yourself, and let someone else come by to destroy it.  Build up a ton of defenses, or park powerful ships, and let someone attack you with the moonshot fleet, OR, have someone group defend your planet when someone else attacks you with the moonshot fleet..

Obviously, if you park a moonshot fleet on your planet, anyone can come attack it... or they might mistake it for bait, and leave it alone.  Also obviously, they will have to destroy all your ships, so they will also probably chew up any defenses you built, and very likely, they will win the attack, and plunder some resources from you.  Also, it will be YOUR moonshot fleet that gets destroyed.  Not so much fun when you're already a little fish.  This method is possible even if you have no friends.  However, it is obviously not ideal.

I recommend you get friends to help.  The same person can actually group defend and launch the moonshot fleet at you, and there are a few alliances with the word "moon" in their title.  Often they will be very eager to help you out there.  Having someone else launch the moon shot fleet means A:  It's not YOUR fleet getting destroyed.  B:  The attack will have to fail, so no resources will be plundered from your planet.  C: They will probably not destroy all your defenses.

BUILDING A MOON SHOT FLEET:  As I mentioned, hydrogen will be lost.  Thus, unless your moonshot fleet does something really great with the hydrogen while it is waiting to be destroyed, you should avoid this.

There is only one ship which costs hydrogen that I would ever suggest for a moonshot fleet:  Helios.  Destroying 5,000 Helios class solar satellites will create a crystal debris field large enough for a 20% moon shot.  Depending on planet slot, each Helios generates between 4-40 energy, meaning that a helios moonshot fleet will net you 20,000-200,000 energy for resource production while you wait.  Of course, nobody can send a fleet of helios to attack you, so, there's that...

A better moonshot fleet is 10,000 Hermes.  They have NO attack score, so it just takes the right number of defenders to wipe them out with no damage.  They are also super fast, so you can have several rounds of Hermes in just a few minutes, and you can also launch them from ridiculous distances.  (reduce speeds to 10% and they'll damn near fly across the whole universe.)  The drawback is that they cost all crystal.  Crystal is valuable for creating all sorts of things.

It might be preferred to create a fleet with more ore.  Any cargo ship is half ore and half crystal, with little attack power.  2,500 Atlas will do the trick.

If you really want to maximize ore, 2,500 Artemis will also be sufficient for a moon shot.  However, they pack some bite, so keep that in mind.  Poseidon can RF against arties, so i suggest using Group Defense with those.

In general, if you join a nice alliance, they'll just ask for coordinates, and start making moons for you.  It's a real no-brainer then.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 10:04:01 AM by yrx »

Offline Wingman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 05:58:41 PM »
You don't need that big of a fleet.  About 5k Posie's to kill 6k probes and probably not that many posiedon's.  6k probes will give you the maximum percentage without the moon commander to create the moon.  It may take multiple shots but only need 6k at a time.  Basically 6 Million crystal per shot.  You do not need any ore at all.  But be ready to spend the crystal to build the probes.  Each shot is maxed out at I believe 21% chance.  If you use the moon commander it increases to I believe 40%.  But make sure that if you do spend the credits on the commander you buy it while you are on the planet you want the moon because it only works on 1 planet.  If you buy it when you are on a planet already with a moon you just blow the credits. 

Offline Gamma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 10:03:42 PM »
No. You need 10 000 Probes for the full 20%, like yrx said.

Offline Mr. Potato Head

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 10:25:22 PM »
Wingman, your post should be dragged outside and shot.  You don't need 5k Posei's to kill 6k probes.  Sure, you can send that many if you really wanted to, but why?  What battle probes have you been hunting? You need a little more than 500 Poseidon's to kill the 10,000 probes needed for the full 20% moonshot. Yes, I said the max is 20%.  Check  http://battlementat.com for further proof.  You said 21%?  Must be because of the battle probes?  This Moon Commander you're referring to is called the Lunar Architect which does double your chances of a moon, but by your math that would be 42% and not the doubled 20% that it should be.   20%X2=40%

I Hope this clears the air for the newer players confused by the earlier post.  Happy hunting!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 10:46:29 PM by Mr. Potato Head »

Offline Zarchne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 08:15:52 PM »
The amount of debris required for each 20% (or 40% with LA, which I agree is a good use of credits if it's a new player's own ships being destroyed) moon shot is the same in every universe: 3,000,000 per shot.  In Nova (as in most of the universes), battles leave behind 30% of ships’ Ore and Crystal as debris, so ships costing 10,000,000 Ore and Crystal in total are required. However, in Conquest battles produce more debris (50% of ships build and 20% of defenses), so only 6,000 probes are required in that universe.

Offline yrx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 05:32:56 AM »
Wow...

I didn't realize my advice... culled straight from the wiki pages was so controversial.

Wingman...  Your advice, although workable, is probably not the best solution, and it may have some factual errors... unless the numbers relate to some universe I don't play in.  Here's some good wiki pages.

http://wiki.playstarfleet.com/index.php/Moon

http://wiki.playstarfleet.com/index.php/Ships

http://wiki.playstarfleet.com/index.php/Debris

http://wiki.playstarfleet.com/index.php/Commanders

Mr. Potato Head, thanks for having my back on what I assumed would not be a controversial subject.