contact
November 19, 2017, 02:16:08 PM

Author Topic: Excellent uni  (Read 984 times)

Offline arbitraryfrog

• View Profile
Excellent uni
« on: August 27, 2014, 01:22:35 AM »
We'll done. This seems to be the best universe I've played so far and I am surprised it didn't have more success. The territories make it more tactical and interactive so what happened? I enjoyed having a tussle with another player over one of them earlier and it is the best bit of sfc fun I have had for a while.
Competing in conquest is like competing in the special Olympics. Even if you win...

kru

Re: Excellent uni
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 04:48:38 PM »

Territories in conquest were the dumbest feature to ever be implemented in a sfc universe.

you have evidentally have no clue either....this BS uni was doomed to fail even sooner than any other...Territories held for hundreds of hours, horded by the top players.....meaning no ability for new or smaller players to make progression....oh yes, and not to mention inflation by npcs beyond belief

Offline Zarchne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 04:49:36 PM »
Well... personally, to my shame, I lost some interest when I realized that I could have done a lot better if I had paid attention to Missions.  But I had other things going on, so I also never started Uni 3 and did long FRS in Nova and Conquest.

Probably the thing that caused the most annoyance overall is the inability to build “alien” ships in quantity.  The Triton can be used to capture ships from NPCs, but not very efficiently.

I think when I went v they had only just implemented continuation of interrupted builds.

There are some tricks you can play with Territories... like, you can't build a warp gate, but (I think) if you deploy ships to a nearby territory that you own by a distant planet, then start to deploy those ships elsewhere, then abandon the territory, the ships return to the distant planet.  You can see that as cool, or as irritatingly complicated (I probably left something out... like, you need to recall the ships, then abandon the territory, or vice-versa).

Offline commander abаб

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 05:09:23 PM »
Well... personally, to my shame, I lost some interest when I realized that I could have done a lot better if I had paid attention to Missions.  But I had other things going on, so I also never started Uni 3 and did long FRS in Nova and Conquest.

Probably the thing that caused the most annoyance overall is the inability to build “alien” ships in quantity.  The Triton can be used to capture ships from NPCs, but not very efficiently.

I think when I went v they had only just implemented continuation of interrupted builds.

There are some tricks you can play with Territories... like, you can't build a warp gate, but (I think) if you deploy ships to a nearby territory that you own by a distant planet, then start to deploy those ships elsewhere, then abandon the territory, the ships return to the distant planet.  You can see that as cool, or as irritatingly complicated (I probably left something out... like, you need to recall the ships, then abandon the territory, or vice-versa).

There aren't warp gates but... it is possible to send ships AND resources in less time and with less hydrogen than a straight deploy. How? Send a probe from the destination (unterritoried) planet to grab a territory away from Hostile Force#0. Send desired ships and resources with enough hydrogen for a return trip to this territory. Once there, deploy back to the origin planet. Then abandon the territory. Now recall that deploy. In about a minute your ships are at their final destination!

Offline Zarchne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 05:20:39 PM »
it is possible to send ships AND resources in less time and with less hydrogen than a straight deploy.

Yeah, that.  Obviously you've grasped it and think it's a good thing.

Offline jc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 06:04:20 PM »
you dont even need to deploy back to the origin planet. you can deploy on the territory if you change the drop down box to territory

it's a cool uni but not for everyone. p mode is defunct as you have to drop your territories and cant build any ships except at non labor/foundry speed

Offline commander abаб

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 06:11:59 PM »
If I logged in more than once a week it would be great!  I find Hired Guns too time consuming for casual play.  There os a continial need to search for needed territories which requires constant play.

Offline commander abаб

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 06:16:15 PM »
you dont even need to deploy back to the origin planet. you can deploy on the territory if you change the drop down box to territory

it's a cool uni but not for everyone. p mode is defunct as you have to drop your territories and cant build any ships except at non labor/foundry speed

True, but if you run into internet lag in the abandoning process, your ships will be gone.

Offline jc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 07:58:10 PM »
30 second attack from an attached territory means you need to keep a close eye on your planets

The need to buy a heph. Without credits the build time is 300+ hours

You cant build alien ships in meaningful numbers so its basically an Athena universe

It's hard for lower ranked players to grow as you need to constantly search out and hold onto Labors. Terris were meant to encourage pvp but it's just tit for tat Labor snatching and nobody cares about RVs/docks/silos/AEs.

Plenty of fixes suggested but not implemented

Offline commander abаб

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 01:40:10 AM »
The heph takes so long because it can only be built on an alien space dock.  Since it is on a territory, there are no foundries to hasten the build time.

Offline Caterine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 01:58:32 AM »
I have to agree that Guns is one of the best of all the universes.

The territories in Guns (very different from Conquest) offer great challenge and interest.
The expanded research on both terran and alien ships add more depth to the game.

As in all uni's, there are always the needed tweaks to the game mechanics and yes, they did fix it so that when you lose a territory, the build or research automatically pauses.

Using territories as jump gates is tricky, but quick and requires no cool down to do it again.

Not being able to control a territory while in Pmode is a plus, because the territories cannot be locked up by those players.

So if you are looking for a challenging universe, try Hired Guns.
Caterine - SFCO
Mosquito - Extreme
Witchblade - Hired Guns

Offline jc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 06:38:42 AM »
I haven't even unlocked zeus and thans take a day to build. The best way to get the alien ships if with tritons but when npcs are loaded with fodder you're picking up mostly arties.

You don't need a heph you can territory jump with 2 colonies but the fleetsave is cheaper with a heph and you only need 1 colony slot.  You still use it in the same way. Land it on a territory and jump fleet from there.