contact
November 24, 2017, 07:43:04 AM

Author Topic: Bring back the tournament series...  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Grace

• View Profile
Bring back the tournament series...
« on: April 12, 2015, 07:23:43 PM »
This was originally a post on an already existing thread. However, I am giving it its own thread because I want to see what others think about it and I would like BFG to reconsider it.

After discussing Tournaments with the team today we've opted to discontinue them moving forward. Unfortunately, while we believe the Tournaments were fun, due to the low participation rate we are unable to bear the cost of planning, building, and running them. If you are a player that had purchased credits remaining in the Universe, you may submit a ticket to the support desk and I will move those to another Universe for you as soon as possible.

Hi, Matt. from a players point of view, I would say the low participation is more to do with tournament overkill than player interest. Players needed a break. Launching one season after another was probably a bit too much... at least it was for me.

I would like to see the tournament series back but with more reasonable implementation. If you ran a standard annual tournament which began on a fixed date every year, and concluded within 2 to 4 months and that was it until the next season the following year, I am sure the interest would return.

Please put this forward to the team. The tournaments were great. There just wasn;t enough of a break inbetween each season and some of them went on for too long.

a 3 month season once per year is likely the best way to go from a players point of view. It is something we could gear  ourselves up for and look forward to.

edit: also, it would be nice if there were some prizes to be had, which would encourage players remaining in it for the duration rather than jumping out half way through. Give a credit prize to every player in the top 100... or top 50 or whatever... which corresponds with their final ranking, though these credits can't be used in follow up tournament seasons or new universes and have to be carried over to the player's existing uni of choice. This way, there would be no credit loss on your part each season or each time a new uni is launched. This would also encourage some players who don't normally join new universes to jump in and get involved if there was a chance they could gain something from it in their favorite uni.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 07:31:23 PM by Grace »
uh ohhhh... the fat kid got a nuke button!

Offline commander abаб

• View Profile
Re: Bring back the tournament series...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 05:44:29 AM »
This was originally a post on an already existing thread. However, I am giving it its own thread because I want to see what others think about it and I would like BFG to reconsider it.

Hi, Matt. from a players point of view, I would say the low participation is more to do with tournament overkill than player interest. Players needed a break. Launching one season after another was probably a bit too much... at least it was for me.

I would like to see the tournament series back but with more reasonable implementation. If you ran a standard annual tournament which began on a fixed date every year, and concluded within 2 to 4 months and that was it until the next season the following year, I am sure the interest would return.

Please put this forward to the team. The tournaments were great. There just wasn;t enough of a break inbetween each season and some of them went on for too long.

a 3 month season once per year is likely the best way to go from a players point of view. It is something we could gear  ourselves up for and look forward to.

I did find this in the forum rules:

"Refrain From Spamming
Please do not "spam" our forums. Spamming means that the same message is posted multiple times. This also includes cross posting (posting the same message to several sections even though it is not on-topic in some of these forum areas) and repeatedly posting identical messages in different threads. Spamming is not permitted and "dupes" of messages may be deleted. Constant spamming may result in temporary or permanent removal of the posting privileges. Please use common sense. "

Offline Immortal Tech N9ne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 07:59:50 AM »
he has a point grace this does constitute as spamming
together we are a powerful force as one mind body and soul let no evil enter nor attempt to reduce us because of the beliefs we hold and with this love combined with our strength we ward off pain and stress technician I am wholeheartedly in life and in death

11/30/15

4    Grand Admiral Twisted Insane T9‎    INQ    116,289,801,391

my victims MUHAHAA
SpartanBlob [BYOB] 3,400,560,000 DSP
Bad Monkey [TRQ] 24,941,965,860 DSP.
The Undertaker-[D12] 8,190,887,465
The machine-[FF]-14,922,637,738
Anomander-[TRQ] 2,608,073,370 DSP
Commander Ratpick-[No alliance] 1,408,295,575 DSP
Sardaukar-[BYOB] 2,865,823,634 DSP
Galvatron-[TRQ] 51,124,601,264
Firmwisdom- [SS] 1,210,754,693 DSP
Painbringer-[BYOB] 782,746,870 DSP
King Godzilla [SS]-294,796,422 DSP

Offline Grace

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 08:02:21 AM »
Abad, if you have a problem with the topic, then report it - simple. Otherwise, remove your post and go farm yourself an empty NPC instead of stalking me around the boards.

Offline Dougal Zebedee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 05:05:35 PM »
I like Grace's ideas for the tournament to run at the same time each year and to for there to be prizes of credits to be used in existing universes.

I'd like to add two further ideas re funding.

1) Is it possible that a business might be willing to provide sponsorship in return for naming a tournament?
E.g. something like "<name of business> SFC Tournament 2015".

2) I suspect that many people might be willing to pay a small entry fee if there were no way of buying advantage within the tournament. This is how I envisage it could be tried:

To save the effort of development the format of the first tournament could be the same as that of the most popular of the previous tournament formats, except for the removal of paid-for options.

Full details of the tournament would be announced months in advance, with a minimum number of entrants required before the tournament went ahead. The entry fee would be on a sliding scale that depended on the final number of entrants: the more entrants the smaller the fee. Perhaps there could be a reward for early signers in the form of a small discount off the eventual entry fee.

Offline censored

• censored
    • Facebook - censored
    • LinkedIn - censored
    • Skype - censored
    • Twitter - censored
    • View Profile
    • censored
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 09:38:58 PM »
There'd be much more interest in tournaments if not for the release 2+ uni's per year strategy. Every uni is a tournament uni as things are, so it's pointless.
Butthurt losers completely owned by me:

Matt H
Grace
Swanvesta
Tech9
BrianC

Offline Grace

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 10:35:49 AM »
There'd be much more interest in tournaments if not for the release 2+ uni's per year strategy. Every uni is a tournament uni as things are, so it's pointless.

the best way to do it would be something along the lines of...

jan 15th - tournament launched (3 months)

April 15th - tournament reset and left open as a permanent uni

birthmark-ant