contact
September 21, 2017, 12:27:37 PM

Author Topic: Strategy Guide  (Read 30332 times)

Offline Matt

• Blue Frog Gaming
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bluefroggaming.com
Strategy Guide
« on: September 25, 2009, 09:35:58 PM »
So it's now been 3 weeks since the reset and we're seeing some definite trends emerge. A few players are separating themselves from the pack, and we've checked out some data to see why. We thought it might be the best for the game if we gave everyone some pointers, so here's a detailed strategy guide based on our observations both from playing the game and checking up on the data generated by top players. I'll go through these in rough order of importance.

Please note that for the purposes of this strategy when I refer to points I will use Resources Spent points, because that is the best measure of progress in Starfleet Commander. Points for crew or destroyed ships are great, but they really don't help you progress through the game that much other than by generating resources which you then spend.

1. Learn to Fleetsave! I can't stress this enough. If you do not protect your fleet, you will lose it, period. It's just a matter of time. You will be attacked by someone bigger. We get emails every day from a player who got their entire fleet destroyed by someone higher up the chain than them. Oddly many of those emails come from someone who destroyed someone else the day before. You would think they would know better, but they don't.

If you're not the biggest or maybe second biggest fleet in the universe, your fleet is in danger of being destroyed. Thanks to Dionysus Class Recyclers it can be profitable to do an attack even if you lose dozens of small ships (fodder) so a fleet might not have to be much bigger than yours to hit you profitably, especially on a world with decent resources.

If you lost your fleet, it's because you left it parked somewhere, usually for at least the 1-2 hours it took the bigger fish to find it and then attack, often for 8 or more hours at a time. This is easy to prevent and if you don't, losing it is as certain as death and taxes. If you're leading an alliance, make sure your newer members know how to do this.

In the earliest part of the game you've got newbie protection, so you don't need to worry about fleet saving until after 100 points. But as soon as you cross that marker, there will be people looking for you. You've still got newbie protection from people over 5 times your points, so you might not start getting attacks for awhile but you should be prepared. It won't be too long.  

When ships are in transit in Starfleet they cannot be attacked. So to save your fleet, all you have to do is send them on a mission. In the earliest days this may mean you send them on an empty transport mission to a planet nearby at reduced speed. For instance if your home world is at the coordinates 1:1:1, you might send them to transport 0 resources to 1:2:1 at 30% speed before you go to bed. Remember transports are a round trip, so if the fleet time says 4 hours, that means 4 hours each way (8 hours total). So if you go to bed at midnight and send your fleet on a 4 hour transport nobody will know where it is until at least 8 a.m. Your fleet is safe while you sleep.

Once you unlock the Dionysus Class recycler, you've got an even better method of fleet saving: the harvest mission. This is better because you can load your fleet up with cargo which will then be deposited back on the world at the end of the mission, plus any debris you managed to pick up. That way you can save not only your fleet but your resources.

2. Build Mines. Mines have a huge ROI early. Eventually they may take days to pay for themselves, but up to level 15 or so for ore (slightly less for crystal and hydrogen) they pay for themselves in under 1 day. Early levels pay for themselves in a matter of minutes or hours. Inviting Crew and then assigning them to your mines gets you extra resources and can really accelerate production as well.

3. Tech up. AI tech is extremely valuable because it lets you run missions. Poseidon Class is extremely valuable because it lets you run better missions, and can help in raiding players who have lots of Artemis Class or Missile Turrets. The Dionysus Class mission is great for when you're not going to be online for a bit, and the ship itself is great for fleet saving. So get those things unlocked as early as possible.

4. Build colonies quickly. 10 out of the top 10 players have the full 8. In fact if you look at the order of the top 10, it's almost as the same as the order in which they got to all 8 colonies. Build mines on them as per #2.

You want to build up the colonies quickly too, starting with the one with the lowest mine levels (since lower mines have higher ROI). Overnight while fleet saving, allocate your resources to the planets with the lowest level mines, or deploy your ships there to run missions the following day. If you deploy all of your ships and resources to the most least developed colony every night, you'll be able to build it up faster, and you won't have to worry much about attacks since all of your stuff will be in transit and then used immediately.

5. Raid inactive players. A lot of times you can get far more resources per hour by sending your empty cargos at players who are inactive (have an "i" by their name in the Galaxy view) or are just not online and didn't properly fleet/resource save than running a mission. Do a little espionage, find people with stockpiles, and hit them.

6. Run missions as much as possible. This is obvious, but I put it at #6 because it's not nearly as important as most people think. Of the top 10, the #1 player has only run the 6th most missions, and the #2 player has run the 7th most. They are at the top because they built mines and colonies, and teched up to Poseidon and high AI levels early. Still, an idle fleet isn't earning you anything, so send it out.

7. Scale your defenses along with your planet. In the early days, a lot of people put way too many resources into defense. This is because they perhaps think building defense is a substitution for fleet saving, but unless you're in the top few players it is not, so there isn't much point in building lots of easily destroyed missile turrets.
As long as you're fleet saving when you're not online and building when you are, you'll never have anything for people to attack, so people generally won't attack you. Put your resources into research, mines, ships, and colonizing instead.

Well that's what we've got so far. I'll add more here as I think of it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
No fleetsave = no fleet.

Offline The ZPM

• View Profile
Re: Strategy Guide
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 09:49:09 PM »
May I add:

8. Be civil, even if you're really, really mad that someone attacked you.  After all, that's the point of the game!  If you are rude or start sending obscenities to your attacker, you just made yourself a target again.  You don't know when, and you don't know where, but pissing someone off means they might even attack you when it is not profitable.  They might even send in 4 or 5 consecutive waves of unprofitable attacks to take down your defenses, for no other reason than you were rude.

Offline Matt

• Blue Frog Gaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 10:56:18 PM »
Good point.
No fleetsave = no fleet.

Offline President Penny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 06:13:15 PM »
Great guide!  I'm trying to compare what I'm doing to what I can do to improve.  Also on the being civil note, instead of a message back telling them off, sometimes asking for peace works out.  Right after diplomacy started I got hit over and over again all in one night.  Never been attacked before and lost everything, went from a ranking of 80 or under to about 160.  Double ouch.  Activated diplomacy and asked the one attacker who had another wave coming up for some peace and he said sure.  Act civil and others can act that way as well.

Offline Dexxter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 06:08:10 PM »
Good ratio to build mines is:
Ore :3
Crystal :2
Hydrogen: 1

To make a good fleet:
Ore :4
Hydrogen :1

Theres gonna be always missing incredients, but everything needs to be build on ores, its also vital to build as many ore mines and crystal mines at start to quarantee faster start. If theres also some alliances in the galaxy, uniting yourself with em gives you possibilities: they can trade materials with you and bigger alliance members can retaliate your losses. Knowing wich players have fleets gives oppoturnity to look for potential targets.

Remember, you kill them before they grow too big.
Only way to kill a big fish? co-operated attack from all alliance members, timed to perfection.

Offline Dexxter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 11:23:32 PM »

Sender: A.I Counter Intelliance Research tactical droid: program 013-D
Topic: Counter Stradegy Tips:
Section: Downright Dirty tricks.

Hypersticial Situation:
-- Scans reveal incoming hostiles at deepspace scanners.
-- Estimated arrival: Immediate
-- Defence capability: None, seeking possibility to build adugate defence: not possible within given time parameters
-- Estimated loss of valuables: Intolerable, not adviced
-- Deduction: Current situation not acceptable within loss parameters.
-- Consideration: Seeking alternative means to conserve planetary organic populations needs and future planetary defence capabilities.

--// Running program 013-D //-- (sending copy to planetary goverment)
--//Running sub program translator-115 for clearer instructions, mode: lamemans terms

1. To get back to your feet faster, YOU MUST FLEET SAVE! this means sending your fleets with everything you can haul with you, but if that means you will loose more than you can save, theres the downright dirty trick. (see section 2)
2. Leave nothing behind, if you cant have it, neither can the other guy. First you use all your materials you can use on defence items, suchs as laser turrets and missle turrets, then the rest on the technology, maybe building upgrade. Everything you can cancel after, means you have depositted those valuables to things, you can gain some back after the raid is complete.
3. Shut down systems: When you set operations on mines to 0, the raider has even less to loot upon.

--//continuing parameters as reversed//-- (suggestion added for possible future assaults)
How to defend against these nasty and dirty tricks? Simple, send a espionage probe right before the fleet arrives. Thus you have time to continue attack, or pull back before the unneccessary threat of going to raid, knowing theres opposition to crush as debree. However now you will know, theres nobodys home, the house is cleared and you will only meet artillery pounding your forces (you prob will loose only some cargo ships, wich costs more to build than to collect from debree), its actually more profitable to limb back home.

-- --|| End of transmission|| -- --

Offline Riker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 02:24:40 PM »
Right now there are lots of inactives out there.  They are very productive, more so than running missions.

Another thing is find targets you can attack and start attacking and raiding.  If you keep your fleet moving then your less likely to get attacked by those that are going after destroyed ships points.

You can build more defenses and ships with these two tactics.

Offline Matt

• Blue Frog Gaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 02:31:56 PM »
Quote from: "Riker"
Right now there are lots of inactives out there.  They are very productive, more so than running missions.

Another thing is find targets you can attack and start attacking and raiding.  If you keep your fleet moving then your less likely to get attacked by those that are going after destroyed ships points.

You can build more defenses and ships with these two tactics.

We are definitely seeing that a lot of the top players do those.
No fleetsave = no fleet.

Offline RichardOwen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 12:52:09 PM »
Quote from: "Dexxter"

I'm assuming that you mean the ratio of material mined, not the level of the mine?

As in, hourly rates 600:400:200 as opposed to Ore Mine level 6, Crystal Mine level4, Hydrogen Thingy level 2?

Offline the smurf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 03:22:15 PM »
Quote from: "RichardOwen"
Quote from: "Dexxter"

I'm assuming that you mean the ratio of material mined, not the level of the mine?

As in, hourly rates 600:400:200 as opposed to Ore Mine level 6, Crystal Mine level4, Hydrogen Thingy level 2?

Right, it's hourly rates, since the amount of resources that are produced by a mine varies as you increase their level.  Each mine produces more than the last upgrade and so forth.  I've heard the best ratio of mine levels is 21/17/15.  Thats also right where the payoff time for the upgrade becomes very long.

Offline scarecrow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 02:06:04 AM »
k its all fine and good to talk idely bout gettin ur fleet wiped out by a higher power when u already know all these tactics and watnot but honestly the VAST majority of ppl joining arent gonna have the first clue so would it be so horrid to set things up so rather then just bein able to attaacks someone within 5 times ur overall points it was more like someone within a certain range of fleet points or something like that so keep a new person who spent 2 months of time building up for the missions then took off diplo mode and lost everything to someone unfairly overpowering and then never wanting to play this app again? maybe we all care too much bout gettin our loot and not so much about fair fights and keepin interest in this sweet app....just my 3 cents.

Offline mreed911

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 03:23:09 AM »
Don't present an attractive target.  Use your resources, fleetsave and resource save.  Play smart and you won't get owned.

Offline scarecrow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 03:26:24 AM »
but thats just my point most new ppl arent gonna know all that and could put months into gettin things rolling then take off diplo mode get wiped and never wanna play again. maybe that dont matter to some ppl who are all about easy kills rather then fair since their on top but if we want this app to attract and KEEP more ppl....

Offline Laggynate

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 03:28:06 AM »
Quote from: "scarecrow"
but thats just my point most new ppl arent gonna know all that and could put months into gettin things rolling then take off diplo mode get wiped and never wanna play again.
A potential solution to this could be a tutorial for players once they get certain ships/technologies. This could introduce new concepts and game aspects to players in a timely and orderly manner.
If I have closed a thread that you feel shouldn\'t have been, feel free to send me a pm.
[size=50]As of 10/1/2010 I was able to build Prometheus for the first time[/size]

Offline Nobunaga

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 03:32:55 AM »
In twitter it had a "quest" path you took to get to a certain point.  Don't know if its on here or not but I would assume so.  Maybe add in a step where they have to open the wiki, the mb's, and the rules might help aleviate the duh moments

birthmark-ant