contact
September 21, 2017, 12:27:38 PM

Author Topic: Strategy Guide  (Read 30332 times)

Offline Shotmagnet

• View Profile
Re: Strategy Guide
« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2010, 05:57:53 PM »
Quote from: "noldi"
...at what point would you say you're ready to move up from raiding inactives to attacking active players?
I think it's more a question of how much trouble you might cause for yourself, raiding an active, than hitting someone inactive.

Active players will tend to take a raid personally and will likewise tend to come gunning for the player who raided them. It doesn't take much imagination to guess what will happen next, and before you know it you're maybe involved in a little teacup-tempest war with someone a couple of systems away that's consuming more in terms of res and ships than the original raid netted you.

Raiding an active might also push that player into joining an alliance, with that individual deciding that with an alliance backing him or her, there's no reason not to return the 'favor' you did him or her. Again, not a lot of imagination required to guess what will happen next.

I suppose a lot of it depends on your playing style, though. I'm content to leave my neighbors be and tend to my colonies. I don't build as fast as someone else who might conduct more attacks, and I find that I need to run missions in order to get some things done, but that's okay with me.

The time that I can spend playing SC is not great, so I want to keep a low pro and make friends with my neighbors. I'm known in my parts as someone willing to lend a hand, and who always has something to trade. I've made a good many friends who in a lot of cases are also powerful allies, as a result. They don't want to lose their trading partner, and they're willing to fight to protect their ally because he's an excellent source of C, H, and/or O. They're also willing to work hand-in-glove with me if I have something that needs doing, to include nipping potential trouble-makers in the bud, before they can make real trouble.

The relationships I have cultivated in this regard seem to me a lot more worthwhile than what I imagine I would have found myself with, were I more aggressive. I have my own little informal alliance of like-minded associates, who are in fact a lot more helpful to me than my alliance is. They're also a lot more helpful to my alliance, since I get and share (with the permission of the like-minded folks I talked about a bit ago) information with my alliance regarding matters local. Maybe that sounds like so much intangible nonsense, but I've been promoted twice by my alliance for my efforts.

But there's something to be said for playing style, and it's not as if I've never seen an active that I wanted to hit.

Shot
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline Noldi

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2010, 07:25:39 PM »
Quote from: "progman63"
The Wiki does not have half the material listed in these forums, and no strategy guide at all.

The wiki DOES have the 8 rules to play by, which includes instructions on fleetsaving and other basic strategy info for beginners. It served me very well until I learned my way around.

But you HAVE TO READ IT!!
The victory is not always to the strong, nor the race to the swift... but that\'s the way to bet.

Offline James Ricker

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2010, 11:21:27 PM »
I have a Question I know all about fleet saving been doing great with it. Until today I was attack and I could not do anything about it. I had my Fleet on one of my Planets comming back from a transport mission and was attack 2 seconds after returning. I would have put it up to bad timming but it happen so three of my fleet at the same time as they came back within a minute of each other the where attack. I could not redeploy them because destoryed is there a special Espionage that I don't have.

Offline Hawkins

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2010, 11:33:15 PM »
Read about the oracle, someone probably oracle locked you. I've had it happen to me and ninjaed the prick at the same time. It was a sweet feeling. Still lost about half of my fleet.
Hawkins, Former member and Leader of Hawkins\' Hellions
Assumption is the mother of all F@#$ ups.
Moons given: 7
Moons owned: Still 0

Offline Sandor Clegane

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2010, 09:27:19 PM »
One way to get around this is to DEPLOY your transports to the destination instead.  This way, if they lock on you, you can recall and avoid destruction.  You just have to remember to deploy the transports back to their origin later.  More than once, Ive forgotten that step and the next day, tried to move resources with no ships available!

Another option is to transport between moons.  They cannot be oracled.  Of course, this means you need at least two moons.

Offline Dread Pirate Ragnar

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2010, 03:07:28 AM »
If you transport with just one moon (at either end of the transport) you have cut the chances of someone spying you in half. I know if I even get a moon I'll be basing most of my fleet off of it.
Quote from: \"Jesus_Saves\"
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." -John 3:16

I am a "whoever"!

If you are living like God doesn\'t exist, you\'d better be right!

Offline Sandor Clegane

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2010, 04:06:05 PM »
took me about a month, but I managed to get a moon around all of my colonies.. average was about 9 tries with 1250 arties each.  Now I do all my ship movements between moons, except for the trucks which ship the planet production to my moons.

I wonder how long it will be before BFG makes moons visible to oracles???

Offline Callum Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2010, 04:20:41 PM »
Could someone write a strategy of mine efficiency and how to balance mines whith ships defenses and research
Every good player knows
No fleetsave=No fleet
Add me on Skype. My username is Calsattack

Offline bluedevil310

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2011, 09:27:39 AM »
Quote from: "mrgrynch"
One way to get around this is to DEPLOY your transports to the destination instead.  This way, if they lock on you, you can recall and avoid destruction.  You just have to remember to deploy the transports back to their origin later.  More than once, Ive forgotten that step and the next day, tried to move resources with no ships available!

...And a way around that is to launch two deploy missions- loads in/empties out. All said and done it will burn 4x the hydrogen of a single transport, and will tie up an additional fleet slot, but it will keep your ships much safer from Oracles, and get your fleets setteled in for the night twice as fast.

Offline bluedevil310

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2011, 09:48:21 AM »
Quote from: "Callum roberts"
Could someone write a strategy of mine efficiency and how to balance mines whith ships defenses and research
It all depends on what your objectives are and what you have for resources around you.  I find that most people's ore production is greater than everything else, so raiding inactives nets me ore.  The more important techs (speed, AI, esp) are crystal heavy, so build up crystal mines. Then you have power considerations vs planet size, but this shouldn't be a problem if you've been good enough to wait and develop only large planets.  If you are in an alliance of, or surounded by, friendly hydro thirsty fleeters, you could theoreheticaly build huge hydrogen synths and engauge in profitable trade agreements.  Look at what you want for fleet or defense ratios, look at the o/c/h ratios to achieve that target, and set your production levels accordingly.  Your style of play will likely change as you develop, but there are always advantageous ways of dumping extra res- if not in a tech, then in a trade..

Offline Topgun11

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
Read about the oracle, someone probably oracle locked you. I've had it happen to me and ninjaed the prick at the same time. It was a sweet feeling. Still lost about half of my fleet.

You can get out of Oracle locks without ninjas, it takes advance planning to do so though. For new players its best to use deploy whenever possible and to get as many moons as quick as possible.