contact
September 23, 2017, 02:42:26 PM

Author Topic: Strategy Guide  (Read 30347 times)

Offline mreed911

• View Profile
Re: Strategy Guide
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 04:23:25 AM »
Quote from: "scarecrow"
but thats just my point most new ppl arent gonna know all that and could put months into gettin things rolling then take off diplo mode get wiped and never wanna play again. maybe that dont matter to some ppl who are all about easy kills rather then fair since their on top but if we want this app to attract and KEEP more ppl....

I've never once used diplo mode.   If you're in diplo mode, make sure you're out of resources before you're out of diplo mode.  No resources, no fleet parked on the front door, no attacks.  :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline progman63

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 04:33:37 PM »
The Wiki does not have half the material listed in these forums, and no strategy guide at all.

Just the bare facts, stats, and a Quick Start guide.

It's one thing for a seasoned 4X players to come into a new game and realize they need to learn the system to survive, it's another thing for new or more casual players who will not last more than a week or two.

That (more info and a strategy guide) really needs to be addressed in the Wiki for new players to keep them playing after the first time (or several times in most cases) they get hit and are almost completely wiped out.

Every game has a right way and wrong way to play it to have any chance to succeed.

If a player doesn't know how to play the game (tips, techniques, strategies) they will quit in disgust and never come back.

As I almost did.....

Offline Laggynate

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 01:48:13 AM »
Quote from: "progman63"
The Wiki does not have half the material listed in these forums, and no strategy guide at all.

Just the bare facts, stats, and a Quick Start guide.

It's one thing for a seasoned 4X players to come into a new game and realize they need to learn the system to survive, it's another thing for new or more casual players who will not last more than a week or two.

That (more info and a strategy guide) really needs to be addressed in the Wiki for new players to keep them playing after the first time (or several times in most cases) they get hit and are almost completely wiped out.

Every game has a right way and wrong way to play it to have any chance to succeed.

If a player doesn't know how to play the game (tips, techniques, strategies) they will quit in disgust and never come back.

As I almost did.....

Well it is a open wiki, you can contribute if you find something that's missing or not quite right :)
That's probably the only way the wiki will eventually be able to fill itself out to include everything that might occur to a new player to ask.
If I have closed a thread that you feel shouldn\'t have been, feel free to send me a pm.
[size=50]As of 10/1/2010 I was able to build Prometheus for the first time[/size]

Offline spoo51

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 02:40:07 AM »
So I made a post in the Colony thread about colony specialization... should I copy that here?  Because based on my calculations it looks like a huge strategy boost.

Offline Ptonjalken

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 05:05:52 AM »
Quote from: "spoo51"
So I made a post in the Colony thread about colony specialization... should I copy that here?  Because based on my calculations it looks like a huge strategy boost.

Can't hurt.
Retired Forum Moderator
Haunting the forums.

Offline Laggynate

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 06:02:52 AM »
Quote from: "Ptonjalken"

Can't hurt.
Well I mathematically disproved it :P

It was an interesting idea though.
If I have closed a thread that you feel shouldn\'t have been, feel free to send me a pm.
[size=50]As of 10/1/2010 I was able to build Prometheus for the first time[/size]

Offline Ptonjalken

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 06:55:10 AM »
Quote from: "Laggynate"
Quote from: "Ptonjalken"

Can't hurt.
Well I mathematically disproved it :P

It was an interesting idea though.

Ah, figured it was something legit. Don't need misleading info then.
Retired Forum Moderator
Haunting the forums.

Offline Jermoe

• View Profile
    • http://wiki.playstarfleet.com/index.php/Starfleet_Section_31
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 08:56:53 AM »
7. Scale your defenses along with your planet. In the early days, a lot of people put way too many resources into defense. This is because they perhaps think building defense is a substitution for fleet saving, but unless you're in the top few players it is not, so there isn't much point in building lots of easily destroyed missile turrets.
As long as you're fleet saving when you're not online and building when you are, you'll never have anything for people to attack, so people generally won't attack you. Put your resources into research, mines, ships, and colonizing instead.

I would have to say you underrate defense.  I just lost my entire fleet because some guy built a few laser cannons between my initial espionage and the attack.  I am a reckless noob and all, but ouch.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Starfleet Section 31 is an awesome alliance...which you didn\'t just hear about.

Players placed in n = 2, Players placed in d = 2

Offline Angus Mengsk

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 02:22:56 PM »
Don't think building up defenses from the start is a good idea either, since it takes money away from having a good starting fleet. To add to it, you can't really do anything with a few defenses if a stronger player comes to say hello, money wasted that could have gone in another cargo.
I'd stick with raiding inactive players for the start unless you have a strong enough fleet.
My 2c as a newb  :mrgreen:
Got a question about the game? Check out the wiki, it helps!

Offline LunarAvenger

• Your flesh shall be sutured into the orthodoxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 03:02:35 PM »
Quote from: "Jermoe"
7. Scale your defenses along with your planet. In the early days, a lot of people put way too many resources into defense. This is because they perhaps think building defense is a substitution for fleet saving, but unless you're in the top few players it is not, so there isn't much point in building lots of easily destroyed missile turrets.
As long as you're fleet saving when you're not online and building when you are, you'll never have anything for people to attack, so people generally won't attack you. Put your resources into research, mines, ships, and colonizing instead.

I would have to say you underrate defense.  I just lost my entire fleet because some guy built a few laser cannons between my initial espionage and the attack.  I am a reckless noob and all, but ouch.

There is such a thing as probing before the attack hits... that would prevent this from happening.
I'm Ancient
Wiki Administrator, disciple of the ZPM, Nachträcher des Imperiums.

Offline Jermoe

• View Profile
    • http://wiki.playstarfleet.com/index.php/Starfleet_Section_31
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 03:56:49 PM »
Quote from: "LunarAvenger"
Quote from: "Jermoe"

There is such a thing as probing before the attack hits... that would prevent this from happening.

Ya...I didn't notice the # next to the defenses go up...and even if I did, me cacleing a fight on their account proves their usefulness just as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Starfleet Section 31 is an awesome alliance...which you didn\'t just hear about.

Players placed in n = 2, Players placed in d = 2

Offline ProfCrash

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2009, 03:54:16 AM »
Is there any strategy advice for people who cannot be on all day? I cannot access facebook at work. This is going to limit my ability to run missions and build.

I joined this weekend and already see that the 8-10 hours I cannot be on watching my planet is going to really hurt my ability to do well in the game. I wish that the missions took longer but were more rewarding. Same for building. I wouldn't mind a longer build time if if it was more rewarding.

Offline Pout

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2009, 04:46:09 AM »
As you say, it is going to be difficult for you to be competitive since some of your opponents can afford to be online pretty much all the time.

But if you want to play the game and have fun with attacks and such, the best you can do is attack inactives right before logging off and adjusting the speed of your attack fleet so that it only returns right after you can log back on.

Offline RichardOwen

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2009, 10:07:46 PM »
Quote from: "Dexxter"
Good ratio to build mines is:
Ore :3
Crystal :2
Hydrogen: 1

To make a good fleet:
Ore :4
Hydrogen :1

Do you mean that the levels are in the ratio 3:2:1 (level 9 ore, level 6 crystal, level 3 hydrogen) or do you mean the outputs should be in the ration 3:2:1 (3,000 ore/hr, 2,000 crystal/hr, 1,000 hydrogen/hr)?

The difference is significant.

Offline Dzyu

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2009, 12:56:49 AM »
Quote from: "RichardOwen"

To make a good fleet:
Ore :4
Hydrogen :1

Do you mean that the levels are in the ratio 3:2:1 (level 9 ore, level 6 crystal, level 3 hydrogen) or do you mean the outputs should be in the ration 3:2:1 (3,000 ore/hr, 2,000 crystal/hr, 1,000 hydrogen/hr)?

The difference is significant.
Quote from: "the smurf"
Quote from: "RichardOwen"

I'm assuming that you mean the ratio of material mined, not the level of the mine?

As in, hourly rates 600:400:200 as opposed to Ore Mine level 6, Crystal Mine level4, Hydrogen Thingy level 2?

Right, it's hourly rates, since the amount of resources that are produced by a mine varies as you increase their level.  Each mine produces more than the last upgrade and so forth.  I've heard the best ratio of mine levels is 21/17/15.  Thats also right where the payoff time for the upgrade becomes very long.

It's a good idea to actually read the thread. There are more good tips in here. ;)