contact
September 21, 2017, 12:27:46 PM

Author Topic: Something needs to change  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Profiteer

• View Profile
Something needs to change
« on: November 30, 2015, 06:41:03 AM »
We need more Real targets. I do agree with the 10x rules is rsp to a point. I feel if you make it to the top 20 or something that should be off the table. Also maybe making some npc's That you can use the Oracle on. Not all some. it would add more risk, their giving more excitement.
Any other idea's or comments

Offline occuli imperator

• View Profile
Re: Something needs to change
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 06:20:54 PM »
the N and n is too much, we dont have that in Original
My enemy’s enemy is a problem for later: In the meantime, they might be useful.

Offline Krystyn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 04:01:12 AM »
To the best of my knowledge all the other unis besides Nova has a RSP level that once reached means that player is open to attacks or defends from all players. As the RSP leaderboard stands now 10 billion RSP puts a player in the top 30, 20 billion RSP in the top 10. Anyone at either of those RSP levels should be skilled enough to avoid losing their fleets. I would dearly love to see the targets I have available to me open up a bit and I would also love to be able to defend my own alliance mates when needed. Even this small adjustment in the protection rules for Nova would go a long way to adding interest to the game and put us a bit more in line with all the other unis.

None of the unis allow for NPCs to be oracled and I don't see that change happening.
Always be yourself.
Unless you can be a pirate.
Then always be a pirate.

Offline Fate

• You can't escape Fate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 09:44:18 PM »
http://forum.playstarfleet.com/index.php?topic=23397.0

Events like these happening once in awhile would be fun to see.
SDE Nova #1 Overall #1 DSP
SFC Nova #14 Overall #4 DSP
Uni4 #14 Overall #2 DSP

Offline Richard Cranium

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 03:26:26 PM »
of course the 2 of you would  like to have the system tweeked to give you more targets. NOBODY can touch either of you besides Bob. there would be no threat to you and allow the slaughter of everyone else. yea, great idea!
 ::)

Offline Krystyn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 06:21:52 PM »
of course the 2 of you would  like to have the system tweeked to give you more targets. NOBODY can touch either of you besides Bob. there would be no threat to you and allow the slaughter of everyone else. yea, great idea!
 ::)

There are so many things wrong with this!

I would so love to claim that these kind of ignorant statements amuse me but at this stage of the game that is not the case. Practically the entire strategy of the game is being in the right place at the right time in order to be able to catch someone making a mistake. Since every player here is human then we are all prone to f*cking up regardless of rank.

Oh, but I know that there is no way to make someone like you understand. If someone of lower rank gets a piece of you then you will find something wrong to say. If someone of equal rank gets a piece then you will find something wrong to say. If someone of higher rank catches you with your pants down then you will find something wrong to say AND claim they are bullies. Simply put, you blame the wrong person. You're the one who f*cked up so in essence you're just deflecting.

Bob is not the only player within my RSP range. Lucius is too. Bob is six times my size yet you don't hear me complaining about his attempts to "slaughter" me. Please take note of my use of the plural in my previous statement. Do you really think that a player of Bob's caliber has only tried for me once? The only reason there is one post of our encounters is that there is only one worthy of posting. I think it's important for you to understand that there are many ways to elude and evade any player's interest no matter their rank in comparison with yours.
Always be yourself.
Then always be a pirate.

Offline jt0117

• "Eaten any good books lately?" -- Q
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 08:22:33 PM »
I've always felt top 100 players should have no protection from anyone and N/n protects those in between top 100 and newbie status sounds like a fair balance.

With DSP scaling it's really more advantageous to be able to join in on action against someone higher ranked than you over trying to hit someone alot smaller than you. I personally wouldn't bother unless there's over 10 mil dsp or a significant dro profit.

There always will be enough hostile ships out there to take you, it doesn't matter if it's just enough or massive amount of overkill that the top players possess. You are accountable for your ships, it's why you can frs (or use pmode) so people can't take your toys while you're away.

There are some in the continuum that frown upon my being a pirate. So I became a Sith Lord too.

Why would a Q do this you ask? Because I can and they had RUM!

Offline Richard Cranium

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 09:59:28 PM »
you are missing the point.

besides Bob and maybe Lucius for a partial hit (being in RSP range does not mean they are much of a threat) even if either of you were  to leave your fleets sit for hours on end besides those 2 NOBODY else could touch them. and you could obviously send enough fleet in an attack against any of the rest of the top 20 where there would be little to no risk of any type of major loss to you from a ninja or GD for that matter.

what you have accomplished is one hell of an accomplishment and i do applaud that. the simple fact is this is a numbers game. when the numbers of player A exceed the numbers of players b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j and k combined the mistakes made by player A are pretty much irrelevant.

twist it all you want the numbers do not lie. you cannot be touched by anyone but 2 people period.

Offline Krystyn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 11:17:27 PM »
While your observations have merit I am not the one that is "missing the point" of the lopsided protection rules in Nova.

When I look back at my early days in the game I had the best time being a thorn in the side of the big dogs by nibbling away at the edges of their fleets by taking out their support ships. I might have been a little on the wild side but I was far from stupid. I knew full well I had zero chance against their main fleet(s) but they can't be in all places at once now can they? Case in point.... no fleet (especially the monster fleets that Bob, Prof, HB & I have amassed) can go anywhere without hydro. If one of us were dumb enough to just let our "fleets sit for hours on end" just how well do you think our main fleet(s) would be able to get around with no gas? Every attack wave sent plunders 50% each time it hits and the rules allow 6 attacks.

So hypothetically.... Let's say I've really pissed you off in this thread and the protection rules here in Nova were like they are in all the other games.

#1 - You actually grow a set
#2 - You probe all my moons just to get an idea of my set up
#3 - You start watching me to get a feel for my activity
#4 - You find a vulnerability (Gasp! Now to see if that set you grew are big brass ones or if they are merely soft socks and therefore pointless!)
#5 - You share this info with your alliance mates and/or buddies
#6 - Each of you picks a moon loaded with hydro and nothing but support ships (provided that everyone actually completes step #1) and launches 6 waves
#7 - You and your buddies gobble up oodles of precious go-go juice (This is a war game... you've just blown up the SFC equivalent of the all important supply lines)
#8 - All of you reap the benefits of 100% of the DSP allowed due RSP levels (The real object of this game... a war game, remember?)

If you don't believe that would not sting me badly and put a crimp in my play then you're an idiot.

As far as retribution from me is concerned...

Yes, I could indeed send a massive number of ships at you and/or your fellow attackers BUT first you would have to be stupid enough to leave your fleets out where I can get to them. Also, the number of ships you think I would send require an insane amount of hydro which, if you recall, you and your friends just took from me and replacing those lost support ships and fuel takes time and credits.

You make it sound like those players in the top 20 (or even the the whole damn front page of the leader board) have no idea how to fleetsave to avoid an attack from me. How the f*ck do you think they got there to begin with? By leaving their hard earned sh*t just lying around? Hello?!?!?! The bare bones basics of this game apply just as strongly to the top of the SFC food chain as they do to the bottom.
Always be yourself.
Then always be a pirate.

Offline Captain James T Kirk‎

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 12:14:56 AM »
For the record I'm not in the top 10 but I would love a crack at the players in the top 5 i like nothing better than a challenge  ;D

Offline Richard Cranium

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 02:08:47 AM »
yeah so everyone else who plays that uni should just be happy being able to go after your support fleet for some hydro. everyone who is anyone  knows hydro is much easier to replace than the entire fleets you would be  going after. especially with  oracles on NPC. not only would people not be able  to attack ships on planets or heps but now people couldn't attack NPC either.

but that is ok i guess, you would get DSP and hey, maybe after  a couple months of them rebuilding they could attack you for some hydro!

Offline meeeeeee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 02:26:57 AM »
Richard you obviously havent played any versions of this game very long or you are a permanent low rank player.   As Krystyn stated for hitting big players, you take out there support ships, you take there hydro, you keep the pressure on and of course you have to keep everything of yours safe.  You buddie up and hunt in wolf packs.   You have fun hunting a larger player

You state,
yeah so everyone else who plays that uni should just be happy being able to go after your support fleet for some hydro. everyone who is anyone  knows hydro is much easier to replace than the entire fleets you would be  going after. especially with  oracles on NPC. not only would people not be able  to attack ships on planets or heps but now people couldn't attack NPC either.

but that is ok i guess, you would get DSP and hey, maybe after  a couple months of them rebuilding they could attack you for some hydro!

You keep hitting the support ships you have a great chance of them being so pissed they make a mistake.  Happened/happens all the time in Ori uni.   Seen it and Done it many times over the years.  After all, war game equals fun or why would you play this game.   If you implement a game plan and execute it regardless of the size of your opponent there isnt anything they can do to get you.  FLS or deal with the consequent.   

Offline Krystyn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 03:09:02 AM »
OK, Dick Head. May I call you Dick Head? Let's go through this one point at a time.

yeah so everyone else who plays that uni should just be happy being able to go after your support fleet for some hydro. everyone who is anyone  knows hydro is much easier to replace than the entire fleets you would be  going after.

Hydro is not easy to replace. The amounts of hydro the top players burn through have fifteen f*cking zeroes after the actual whole numbers. Even with a large HS we are still talking several trades per launch. And that does not even take into account the hydro used to build ships. Even support ships. Dios require hydro to build, remember?

especially with  oracles on NPC. not only would people not be able  to attack ships on planets or heps but now people couldn't attack NPC either

<facepalm>

NPCs are not subject to oracle scans and BFG has repeatedly stated that there never will be. Planets and heps would certainly still be viable targets. This whole game is about calculated risk vs reward. Your time of attack vs possible return locks and their flight times. Really? This is all pretty basic stuff. You know... like FSing to keep your ships safe when you're not around.

Richard you obviously havent played any versions of this game very long or you are a permanent low rank player.   As Krystyn stated for hitting big players, you take out there support ships, you take there hydro, you keep the pressure on and of course you have to keep everything of yours safe.  You buddie up and hunt in wolf packs.   You have fun hunting a larger player   

This is an excellent point. Wolf packs are very effective. It's about teamwork. Another apt nature analogy would be the hyenas vs the lion. Have you ever seen what a pack of little, smelly, obnoxious hyenas can do to a full grown adult lion? You should do a YouTube search for a video on that, Dick Head. You might find it very enlightening.

You keep hitting the support ships you have a great chance of them being so pissed they make a mistake.  Happened/happens all the time in Ori uni.   Seen it and Done it many times over the years.  After all, war game equals fun or why would you play this game.   If you implement a game plan and execute it regardless of the size of your opponent there isnt anything they can do to get you.  FLS or deal with the consequent.   

Another excellent point. Been there and done that too. Many times. It works, tried and true.
Always be yourself.
Then always be a pirate.

Offline TheOx

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 03:59:24 AM »
Gotta agree with everything Krystyn is saying. And she has said it much more eloquently then I would have. But I will throw in one more thought.

Im ranked #5 in DSP. Since sometime in late spring I believe, Ive been anywhere between 1-7 in DSP.  But right now im "protected" from the top 10 in RSP. 30% of those 10 Ive landed successful attacks/ninjas on at some point in my Nova career. I dont fear any of them, and if I want to hunt them I should be able to. And they should be able to hunt me. I think Ive proven my abilities and I should be able to go up against the big guys (and gal). There is nothing more satisfying than successfully hitting someone who has a bigger fleet. Except maybe leading a team in an attack that does it.
My Victims:
Queen of Angels - Scorned - 9,230,124,115,521,680 DSP
Jeniefe - CE - 425,049,430,778,564 DSP
Jondular - Nemesis - 114,827,036,592,923 DSP
Commander Kopciuszek - Nemesis - 97,336,503,463,657 DSP
meeeeeee - CE - 79,225,200,088,966 DSP
Savach - Nemesis - 72,291,789,932,406 DSP
Max Pax - SW - 39,197,631,495,026
First Star Lord Duncan - UFP - 17,630,572,670,051 DSP
Ambrosius Pendragon - AnT1 - 12,973,450,948,851 DSP
Army Geddon - Nemesis/Valhalia - 5,083,977,670,890 DSP
Augustus Wolf - Nemesis - 3,236,893,621,818 DSP
Ruby Chicken - ANH - 2,153,692,940,926 DSP
ScareCrow - SW - 1,233,018,526,993 DSP
Here Comes Trouble - Exiled - 515,361,618,434 DSP
Lobo - CE - 768,292,429,643 DSP
FireFox - SW - 398,009,220,511
Profiteer - Exiled - 377,415,717,224 DSP
Iron Shadow - Nemesis - 72,834,528,045 DSP
Cronus - IPA - 45,682,810,381 DSP
Damn Haggis - Nemesis - 32,832,020,345 DSP
Havoc33 - Nemesis - 12,560,366,618 DSP
Ben 138 - TRA - 6,332,937,749 DSP

Offline Damn Haggis

• Live Long and Prosper, you deserve it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 03:39:07 PM »
Heh, what a hoot!  Love reading the strings every now and then.  At one time or another I think I have been tagged by half the players on Ox's list, one time while I went upstairs to grab a coffee, now how about that for a WTF!  That kind of timing is too sublime not to have a nice lol!

One point I didn't see mentioned, is control of your ranking.  Not so long ago I was ranked at #3, let me tell you I was looking every direction six ways from Sunday!  I have kept it stable at around 10 for quite a while, more or less out of the Lucius range :) I boosted my battle ship count recently for the war with T1 - over in a blink while I was having a nap, many respectful kudos to T1, nice work! - and it didn't take much to bump up a couple of spots.  I could probably get in K's range again without too much trouble and a more aggressive battle regimen but atm I don't WANT to since life is a little busy and while flattering to have players invest and chase me down I do not want to be a snack :D  I like to control my placement to avoid for the moment the joy of being able to nibble at the edges of the big fleets.  And also have the big fleets absent-mindedly obliterate me whilst on manoevers...

Anyways, the top players have always been respectful, helpful, and exemplary games-persons to me even as they might be crushing a fleet here or there.  It is a game community, and I encourage everyone to enjoy it in every aspect.

Cheers,

Haggis