contact
November 20, 2017, 09:20:52 AM

Author Topic: How bare-bones is this uni?  (Read 3737 times)

Offline Pantin

• View Profile
Re: How bare-bones is this uni?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 09:42:56 PM »
you can always upgrade to make it go faster.

any how, i was really looking forward to a reset original universe concept. i was really hoping NPCs were not included for some time period maybe a year.  mines would have been relevant again, PVP would have been encouraged, . was hoping to see some great players I seen come and go from the original universe

SFC eradeon or eradeon extreme both have relevant mines. NPCs only offer eradeon as plunder and do not generate debris so these two unis are as old school as you can get

Offline BrianC

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2016, 12:23:07 AM »
NPCs generating debris or plunder doesn't make something "old school".

Taking 6 hours to colonize a galaxy away, or having mine upgrades only add 100-200 more Ore/Hr at level 15-18, and spending 20+ minutes to build one cargo ship, now that is old school.

Not being able to fast build planets by building nothing but Caps from the start and then auto-completeing after that, that's not old school.

Original was about the wait, and the action, and getting from point A to point B first. NPCs or not.
Profit=Growth=Advancement=Good

Offline BatRastard

• I've upped my game...up yours.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 12:58:46 AM »
I agree. and I'm having a ball!
Some people are like slinkys... not good for much, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed downstairs.

Offline ForsakenVoyager

• Twitter - @ForsakenVoyager
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Gaming Channel
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 01:54:57 AM »
I agree. and I'm having a ball!

I'm with you and BrianC, this new universe is awesome!

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 03:02:29 AM »
I remember my early days in SFCO.  Sitting in my den, watching TV, and running mission after mission, after mission -- the ones with like 2 Atlases, and an Artie once I got rich -- to get enough res to upgrade a mine or two to the next level, maybe even build another Cap level!

Those were the "homesteader" days, and they were a lot of fun.

One thing that will be tough to do in Uni4, though -- farm inactives for significant res.  Back when I joined SFCO, there still were around 12,000 players, but a lot of the smaller players were playing for a few weeks, maybe a few months, and then going inactive.  So, I remember having huge Atlas fleets -- maybe 20 to 50 ships -- running out 100 systems or so, to attack defenseless inactives and bring home the res!

Frankly, that probably was the time when I was having the most fun with SFCO, back when I was bootstrapping myself from Rank 12000 to, say, Rank 8000.

Memories!

Online Darth Sparkus

• "I find your lack of cookies disturbing."
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 04:57:54 AM »
Having played SFCO and being a member of  A New Hope in SFCO ?(A New Hope was very large ATM)...
I say why bother.
BFG had 6 months to come up with a new uni.
They asked for input on a new uni.
We gave them the input they asked for.
What did they do?

Wiped the leaderboard on the oldest uni.

It took six months to wipe the leaderboard?

Stepping off soapbox.
Darth "Pissedoffakushitus" Sparkus
p.s. don't look for me I ain't there.

Offline Stina Starr

• Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hodgsonsurvivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2016, 05:25:17 AM »
I am enjoying the new uni. I didn't care if a new one was created...but giving the original one a reset was probably the best thing they could have done to regain my interest. Having to rebuild from scratch (this time with no assistance) has given me purpose. I am loving remembering what I was thinking, almost 3 years ago, and what I know now compared to then.

Is it standard for BFG to put out a new game every so often? Maybe they're trying to work out the kinks of all the suggestions they got...and put this out there as a tide over? I mean...lots of people asked for a new universe where everyone started off with a level playing field. I can't imagine a better way of doing that while honoring our love for the original format.

Offline BrianC

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2016, 06:50:09 AM »
Having played SFCO and being a member of  A New Hope in SFCO ?(A New Hope was very large ATM)...
I say why bother.
BFG had 6 months to come up with a new uni.
They asked for input on a new uni.
We gave them the input they asked for.
What did they do?

Wiped the leaderboard on the oldest uni.

It took six months to wipe the leaderboard?

Stepping off soapbox.
Darth "Pissedoffakushitus" Sparkus
p.s. don't look for me I ain't there.

You can look at this a few different ways.

You can be pissed that for 6 months (but really, like half a decade now) we haven't been given much new "content" in any form, or, you can realize that the true competition and "fun" of this game is starting over.

I'll be honest, up until the point that I burn out due to repetition, tedium, and boredom, I have more fun unlocking everything and building everything, than I ever did wiping out a Heph or a Zeus in the late game.

To me, its more fun to race someone to first Heph, or First Prom, or First Athena, than it is to spend months doing the same boring stuff against the same boring 50 active players in Universe 12, x37, or Eradeon 15.

In all honesty, I think they could probably do away with every universe, and just output a new universe every 3-4 months, like a rotational, themed, but limited in time "tournament" type design. One cycle might be based on Extreme speeds, the other based on Original, one based on "everything we have ever come out with in every game", one based solely on fleeting, one based on mining, or whatever your little hearts at BFG could come up with. The difference being, EVERYONE is wiped on EVERY reset, and EVERYONE who wants to play SFC, starts over together.

On one hand, some will hate everything about that idea, but on the other, BFG will love it. Lets be honest, more money is spent at the beginning of a new universe than at any other time. By having only one universe, you force all players to play together in the same universe, so you don't have that discord of "i liked Conquest 14, Nova 12 sucks". "you're wrong, Eradeon 54 blows everything out of the water". Stick everyone in one room (universe) and reset it every few months. On top of that, award those who do well with "something". Ultimately I think the "core" population of SFC players would be better off under one universe than 15 of them.

Just my $.02 though.

Offline BrianC

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2016, 06:50:34 AM »
I am enjoying the new uni. I didn't care if a new one was created...but giving the original one a reset was probably the best thing they could have done to regain my interest. Having to rebuild from scratch (this time with no assistance) has given me purpose. I am loving remembering what I was thinking, almost 3 years ago, and what I know now compared to then.

Is it standard for BFG to put out a new game every so often? Maybe they're trying to work out the kinks of all the suggestions they got...and put this out there as a tide over? I mean...lots of people asked for a new universe where everyone started off with a level playing field. I can't imagine a better way of doing that while honoring our love for the original format.

Bingo! Well said.

Offline spunky pewster

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2016, 10:32:16 AM »
They would never wipe existing servers because back lash would be epic. However a tourney style uni with set time periods for reset would make a lot of sense. Sadly, these games and devs rarely listen or respond to the player base even when it is a no brainer to do a so.

Also, it's been almost 5 years...nice to see you BC.

You can look at this a few different ways.

You can be pissed that for 6 months (but really, like half a decade now) we haven't been given much new "content" in any form, or, you can realize that the true competition and "fun" of this game is starting over.

I'll be honest, up until the point that I burn out due to repetition, tedium, and boredom, I have more fun unlocking everything and building everything, than I ever did wiping out a Heph or a Zeus in the late game.

To me, its more fun to race someone to first Heph, or First Prom, or First Athena, than it is to spend months doing the same boring stuff against the same boring 50 active players in Universe 12, x37, or Eradeon 15.

In all honesty, I think they could probably do away with every universe, and just output a new universe every 3-4 months, like a rotational, themed, but limited in time "tournament" type design. One cycle might be based on Extreme speeds, the other based on Original, one based on "everything we have ever come out with in every game", one based solely on fleeting, one based on mining, or whatever your little hearts at BFG could come up with. The difference being, EVERYONE is wiped on EVERY reset, and EVERYONE who wants to play SFC, starts over together.

On one hand, some will hate everything about that idea, but on the other, BFG will love it. Lets be honest, more money is spent at the beginning of a new universe than at any other time. By having only one universe, you force all players to play together in the same universe, so you don't have that discord of "i liked Conquest 14, Nova 12 sucks". "you're wrong, Eradeon 54 blows everything out of the water". Stick everyone in one room (universe) and reset it every few months. On top of that, award those who do well with "something". Ultimately I think the "core" population of SFC players would be better off under one universe than 15 of them.

Just my $.02 though.

Offline gmel

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 05:43:13 PM »
I am quite amazed that people need to take markers here,  I mean really, are you sure you can't FRS a few ships? BFG should have done away with the marker option on this. The game should be played as it used to be played before markers and NPC's.

Anyhow, as much as it's the same, I am loving the old school effect, takes me right back to when it all started the 1st time around and to boot it feels better to actually be working for something instead of getting the usual huge numbers and fleet in the first original, enjoy the moment whilst it lasts.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 05:44:56 PM by gmel »
When your number is up, it's up. forget all the other crap, it's political shit to control power.

Offline Stina Starr

• Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hodgsonsurvivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2016, 07:24:38 PM »
Idk...I think people send more money later than they do in the beginning. In the beginning, it's all about trying to unlock and earn everything.

Offline BrianC

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2016, 09:11:38 PM »
Idk...I think people send more money later than they do in the beginning. In the beginning, it's all about trying to unlock and earn everything.

BFG will never disclose this information, but short of P modes in other universes without a D mode option, the beginning will see the largest influx of cash for them, otherwise they'd have little to no incentive to rehash universes.

Offline gmel

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2016, 09:23:11 PM »
Has anyone managed to get a new planet wth a decent amount of fields yet?  am 7 gaia's in and nothing above 120 yet
When your number is up, it's up. forget all the other crap, it's political shit to control power.

Offline ForsakenVoyager

• Twitter - @ForsakenVoyager
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Gaming Channel
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2016, 10:24:57 PM »
Has anyone managed to get a new planet wth a decent amount of fields yet?  am 7 gaia's in and nothing above 120 yet

I'm a very slow starter so I haven't got that far yet. Still struggling to get my space legs.