contact
September 24, 2017, 07:25:13 PM

Author Topic: Novice tournement  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Lord Nightstalker

• View Profile
Novice tournement
« on: August 23, 2016, 03:22:32 PM »
Guys I am thinking of running a novice tournament. We tried having the Junior tournament and we still have two many big hitters and people complaining about not having enough targets. Most everyone or at least most war alliances has a sister or training alliance.

What Im thinking is only players from 400 rank to 2500 rank will be allowed into the novice tournament. No heavy hitters. There will only be two brackets tiers. 400 to 800 and 801 to 2500/ not in newbie status. The rules will be comparable to Justices in the Junior tournament. Please let me know your thoughts as I am trying to get some alliances lined up for this.

If you don't want your alliance in it maybe you can send some of your new players to join one of the alliances that will be in the tournament. Please let me know if your interested.

LNS

• View Profile
Re: Novice tournement
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 05:05:27 PM »
If this pans out it will start the third week of September. Talk with your newer members and see what they think.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 06:56:20 PM »
If interested let me know as I start to put the list together:

1. BORG (newer members only) 400 to 2500 rank

Offline occuli imperator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 07:17:04 PM »
no D or P ..
all active ??
best way to learn , entering a war in D mode is an anti climax..
better keep participant in each alliance low as long as they fight ..
My enemy’s enemy is a problem for later: In the meantime, they might be useful.

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 07:31:08 PM »
LNS,

I think this is a great idea!

Per our private discussion, I suggest that each of the Novice Tourney alliances be permitted to have up to 2 members of rank better than 400, to serve as team mentors.  The rules regarding these mentors could be something like this:

The mentors are not subject to attack from members of other tourney alliances.
The mentors cannot participate in attacks against members of other tourney alliances. 
The mentors cannot use IPBMs against members of other tourney alliances.
The mentors cannot participate in defenses against members of other tourney alliances.

In case I've forgotten something that a rules lawyer might attempt to leverage:  the intention of these rules is to make it clear that the mentors are just that -- mentors.  They are to be "hands off" with respect to any actions beyond providing advice to their alliance mates.

Offline occuli imperator

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 07:37:40 PM »
Mentors will die of boredom.
That is a bit like the bracket in jv.
You see it and cannot touch it
Feeling like a eunuch  ::)
My enemy’s enemy is a problem for later: In the meantime, they might be useful.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 08:26:51 PM »
Occuli this is for newbies and the mentors are there for advice only. The rules will be the same as in Justices tournament with a few changes and TWayne I like your input and it will be added. This is to make it fair for newbies and get them more interested in the game. Not everyone can come out swinging like a warrior but must learn. P-mode is there for a reason just as d-mode. This is going to be a learning experience for this type tournament.

THE SLASH

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 08:53:09 PM »
Good idea.
Teaches them aswell

Offline Stina Starr

• Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hodgsonsurvivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 09:02:15 PM »
My suggestion is to make the range maybe 800 and lower. Some of these 400 folks have more ships than me. LOL By the time you make it to 600, you should already be battle worn. You can't possibly still be considered a newb at that point.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 09:54:02 PM »
The gap is getting larger as you said with all the resources floating around now days. Ill toy with that thought Stina.

Offline Dead Zone

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 03:50:07 AM »
Sounds like a good idea, my offer is still open to help judge if you want

Offline Tybors Master

• We are stonger together, than we are apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 06:37:32 AM »
My suggestion is to make the range maybe 800 and lower. Some of these 400 folks have more ships than me. LOL By the time you make it to 600, you should already be battle worn. You can't possibly still be considered a newb at that point.

This is WELL said Stina.

A #800 ranked player has about 4.5 Billion points.

A #1,000 player has about 210 Million.  That is a substantial size difference.

My concern is simple. 

SWaRM has many junior members who chose to be active.  Many more who were in (d) mode to protect the resources that they were unable to FRS. They want to be active, and to participate.  But could not. 

How do I compare that...   Perhaps like an ant, scurring over a sidewalk.  Little kids feet, big kids feet, ladies shoses, mens shoes and some big work boots.  And then...safely across the vast expanse of the sidewalk, that same any now finds itself on first the crosswalk, then the street.  Those kids shoes were nothing compared to the tires on that 18 wheeler.

Until that ant grows enough, to be the size of a kids shoe.. and then on up to the truck tire.....  At all times, everyone else can squish the ant.  But the ant cannot squish back.

Perhaps, a greater number of Active players should be required. Not 3, but perhaps 9.  That will truly get  players out of (d) mode to play, rather than the regular players who would likely be active anyway.

TM

Offline Stina Starr

• Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hodgsonsurvivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 12:45:27 PM »
1. I don't know how or why "new" players have more resources than they're able to frs. New players should be grown at a reasonable pace. And learn to frs if they intend to be active hunters. Building in d mode is harmful to new players (any player). I shouldn't say harmful. It's a useful tool...but should be used in moderation...in my opinion.

2. There's always someone bigger, faster, smarter, or braver than you.  Whether you're ranked #1, #11, #111, #1111, or #11111.

3. I promise it hurts the same when your ships are blown up or your resources are stolen...no matter what rank did it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 01:07:49 PM by Stina Starr »

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 03:15:38 AM »
They have more resources because their alliances give them a jump start by giving them resources. An excellent why to get them started and get to building in d-mode. In this stage of the game it takes too long for new players to build up on their own.

Offline Tybors Master

• We are stonger together, than we are apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 05:50:55 AM »
They have more resources because their alliances give them a jump start by giving them resources. An excellent why to get them started and get to building in d-mode. In this stage of the game it takes too long for new players to build up on their own.

Precisely LNS.

Which is why war points were gained, from our low ranked players.  Alas.... the concept of FRS is simple, and had been stated.  I guess some felt that they were too small to bother with?  Had been too comfortable travelling from (n) mode to active, and not truly understanding that (and ignoring those senior members giving advice) that an in system attack from a Heph or a MAC takes less than a half hour from launch to landing.

A 'jump start' has great advantages for those who know how to use it.  And it can be a curse for those who feel compelled to spend it, in ways that slow their growth.

Perhaps the concept by J.U., would be effective, if a 4th teier were created, for members ranked smaller than #1,000.  Or, LNS adopts a similar rank number, to cap the players at.