contact
November 23, 2017, 06:45:04 PM

Author Topic: Novice tournement  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Lord Nightstalker

• View Profile
Re: Novice tournement
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 02:06:25 PM »
Im thinking on two tiers, there wont be a 1 to 100 or a 101 to 400 tier. they will be excluded but can be mentors, no group defends or group attacks JUST advice.

Offline Stina Starr

• Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hodgsonsurvivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 04:25:09 PM »
They have more resources because their alliances give them a jump start by giving them resources. An excellent why to get them started and get to building in d-mode. In this stage of the game it takes too long for new players to build up on their own.

From the time I started and before, alliances have been giving resources to newbies to help them get started. I was never forced into d mode because of it though. And...there's still a way to help newbies without overwhelming them with resources. There is no rule that says you have to give them everything at once. LOL

So...I still don't know why newbies have so much resources that they cannot hold them all. That's poor leadership...especially if that player wants to be active.

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 04:53:37 PM »
I guess everyone has their own opinions on how to help their new people. I don't really care I teach on how to protect their fleet and resources while building and a lot of people play the game and don't want to be very active. For some its more of a social game and for others its the killing fields. It just depends on what type people your training. That's why we have so many alliances and some are pretty much a d-mode alliance and some are warriors. That's what were really trying to do here with the wars. Make it fun for the ones who like to hunt each other and what I'm trying to do is get these newer players more interested in the warring side of things. If we get a novice tournament going and we only get 5 more people that was hiding in d-mode to come out of their shell with some confidence then I feel it was successful. The problem is trying to keep the other alliances from hitting them other than the ones in the tournament. That's something I cant control.

Offline Stina Starr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 05:25:54 PM »
Nor should you try to control it. We want to make sure these players can protect their stuff...war or otherwise. For the ones you guys are talking about, I don't think too many "warriors" are looking for what they have to offer. The threat will come from another lower ranked player. (Unless you belong to an alliance that is threatened by a high ranking player that gets off on hitting low ranked players...IJS) I hope this works... Maybe we can ask some of those players what it would take to get them to be active or what it would take to get NPC hunters more interested in PVP.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 06:09:29 PM »
So far I have several alliances posting this for their newer players. I have a couple who want to be involved and if I can only get two then we will proceed and see what happens.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2016, 02:25:05 AM »
I have started the Beta Quadrant alliance for those wanting to participate and not have it affect their alliance war ratings. This alliance isn't to try and recruit any people but a place to learn and fight. Its only for war.

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2016, 02:26:10 AM »
If interested let me know as I start to put the list together:

1. BORG (newer members only) 401 to 2500 rank
2. BETA QUADRANT (Novice) 401 to 2500 rank

Offline GoIndy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 01:51:29 PM »
I'm in the Swarm alliance.  I was one of the people active, lower ranked.  I'm currently 820ish, started the wars like 1400.

There were a couple of things that really stood out to me.  No idea what the solution is, (or if it is a problem to begin with), but here goes...

1)  Generally there would be like 10 people from our alliance active, and 2 (maybe) in that range from other alliances.  Those two would be ranked something like 415 and 405.  There is a comical difference between myself and those players.  Now, I don't know how to solve this, since even between myself and someone ranked 1000 is a log-rhythmic disparity.
2)  It doesn't matter who, but one alliance DID have a lower ranked person active, something like rank 2000...commendable.  However, that person had someone like rank 200 park 25 trillion Athenas on his world, which is more than what our entire alliance can deal with.  So, it doesn't make the ranks all that useful or useful if a huge player parks enough on a planet to make it insurmountable.   

Like I said, not sure what the solution is, just commenting.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 02:43:09 PM »
I already solved that problem. No high ranks can group defend. the only ones in tournament is 401 to 2500. None of those players have this type fleet and there will be two brackets. If your in an alliance who doesn't want to fight in the novice tournament but you want to, I have made an alliance for those players. Once the tournament is over you will go back home. I am trying to make this a real novice type tournament without those huge fleets. Those players should be in the other war tournaments.

Offline Stina Starr

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2016, 03:22:23 PM »
There's a place for everyone...there's a way to contribute, no matter how many ships you have, how many members are on your team, or how "large" the opposition is. There are things beyond our control...what we have to do is identify what we can control and how to use it to win.

I like the idea of getting more players involved...and it was great having you in the JVT... I don't like that we feel we need to separate the "weak" from the "strong". Every hit is opportunity given and taken.

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 07:15:39 PM »
there is nothing wrong not agreeing with each other and I do feel we should separate the weak from the strong lest we drive them from the game before they even know what to do. The gap is far larger than when we first started. I for one would have never dreamed we would have fleets this large and feel sorry for new players starting out. What's really bad is when players try to get to the lower brackets just so they can over power people and I have already seen this done in the JVT tournaments. That's not why we started this tournament as I did the first one and Justice took it over and did as good a job as he has.

I'm just trying to take it to the next level and I don't want any heavy hitters in it at all other than mentors. You more skilled players have two tournaments that you guys can join. I'm trying to leave this one for the newer players so they can learn. most training alliances has a couple active and the rest in d-mode. I'm trying to get people to get active and they wont get active being hammered by someone with an attack fleet that has quads of ships to their total fleet of 2200 ships and don't think it isn't happening because it does and is continuing.

Offline Tybors Master

• We are stonger together, than we are apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2016, 01:55:59 AM »
I'm in the Swarm alliance.  I was one of the people active, lower ranked.  I'm currently 820ish, started the wars like 1400.

There were a couple of things that really stood out to me.  No idea what the solution is, (or if it is a problem to begin with), but here goes...

1)  Generally there would be like 10 people from our alliance active, and 2 (maybe) in that range from other alliances.  Those two would be ranked something like 415 and 405.  There is a comical difference between myself and those players.  Now, I don't know how to solve this, since even between myself and someone ranked 1000 is a log-rhythmic disparity.
2)  It doesn't matter who, but one alliance DID have a lower ranked person active, something like rank 2000...commendable.  However, that person had someone like rank 200 park 25 trillion Athenas on his world, which is more than what our entire alliance can deal with.  So, it doesn't make the ranks all that useful or useful if a huge player parks enough on a planet to make it insurmountable.   

Like I said, not sure what the solution is, just commenting.

Thanks for both reading this forum, and contributing.

I just counted our active players, and came here to make my own post. GoIndy has said it well...

We have 13 members currently active in this 401 minus catagory.  The 14th is currently exiting (d), and I am in (d). 2 others who participated in round #2 would likely become active again.  That would make 17 SWaRM members in a #401 minus tourney.

I would like to know how many active players there would be, prior to recommending ..... or not recommending joining this tournament.  I have already stated that the difference between someone ranked #1,000 and another ranked #800, is vastly different..... I did not think that someone ranked #401 even needed to be mentioned.

Currently, I am ranked about #600, and would be ruled out of a tournament where either #800 or #1,000 was the cap.  But that would be a better tournament for OUR new players. IF there are enough players in the other participating Alliances.

If the opposing alliances can offer only 2 players, and they are both near the top of the tier, then it of no benefit to our alliance to participate...... except to train our members to not get hit.  Ninjas, sneak attacks, group attacks with such vastly different ship counts is impossible for lower ranks to contend with.  It would be an excercise in frustration .... a 'what's the point?' and is completely contrary to what you, LNS are trying to achieve.

Lets have a commitment, from the alliances, of how many players will be active.

TM

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2016, 11:18:38 PM »
There would only be two tiers and were trying to get 8 to 10 active but if you would rather join the larger wars alliance tournaments then proceed. Im thinking 401 to 900 and 901 to 1500. any ranking other than that is normally n mode. Im just trying something different and maybe it will work and maybe it wont. But the fleet sizes will be much lower just saying.

Offline Tybors Master

• We are stonger together, than we are apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2016, 03:18:12 PM »
LNS...

I will put that to our membership.

I am far more interested in a structure like this, and I sincerely thank you for modifying your plan.

TM.

Offline Stina Starr

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2016, 03:31:04 PM »
If fleet size is the main concern, you should probably have 3 or 4 brackets. That way players (while not perfect) can compete with other players who are similarly sized (in fleet count).

The 400s more than dwarfs the 800s. And that's just 401-900. I didn't even look at 901-2500. I'm sure the results are the same.