contact
November 24, 2017, 07:41:42 AM

Author Topic: The economics of different res purchasing strategies  (Read 902 times)

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
The economics of different res purchasing strategies
« on: November 07, 2016, 09:14:22 PM »
A fellow contacted me the other day, asking what was my price for crystal.  I told him, and then I advised him to not to make that purchase, because he would be hurting himself financially if he did so.  There was a much better thing that he could do with his credits.

We live in a world where "I want it, and I want it now!" reigns supreme.  I understand this; I live in the same world ;-).  It's very easy to fall prey to this "now, now, now!" mindset in SFCO.  You see people blowing past you on the leaderboard, or maybe you want to blow past someone.  The first thought might be, "I need to buy a bunch of OCH to build XYZ!".  Maybe so, in some cases.  But, in general, I think that there is a better thing you can do with those credits you've paid for using your hard-earned real-world currency.

Here is my advice to players:  Buy hydro (and only hydro), and use that to power your ships to go fetch your OC by hitting NPCs. 

Here is why I say this.  Let's say that you spend X credits to purchase Y units of crys.  My experience, and the experience of others, is that you can spend X credits to purchase Y units of hydro, and then you can go out and hit NPCs and bring home 50Y to 150Y units of crys, as well as maybe 100Y to 300Y units of ore.

Wow!  That's a lot of financial leverage!  And that's why I advise active players that it's much more cost-effective for them -- it REALLY reduces their cost of play -- if they pass on buying the OC and they limit their purchases to hydro.  It might take you a few hits to accumulate that OC you were going to buy, but you will get there in short order and it won't cost you nearly as much to do as it would if you purchased that OC.

I imagine that most of us (all of us???) want to put as little of our hard-earned cash into this game as we possibly can.  So -- my advice is to leverage your purchases by focusing on the hydro, and in general skip the use of credits to buy OC.  You and your bank account will be glad you did!

Offline bob the yak

• View Profile
Re: The economics of different res purchasing strategies
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 04:56:56 PM »
BUT - if you play the game a certain way it is possible to be fully self sufficient & not purchase any credits :D

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 07:08:23 PM »
Bob,

You are so right!  It isn't easy to do, and your ceiling in the game will be limited, but the game CAN be played with no credits expenditure at all.

Offline occuli imperator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 07:26:19 PM »
staying in D mode is one..... :'(
My enemy’s enemy is a problem for later: In the meantime, they might be useful.

Offline bob the yak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 10:07:04 AM »
All you need is enough Dro to use Zeus but make sure you hit the Npc with 0 losses & collect the res from the Npc.

Park your Heph on top of the Npc target for a quick bedris field collection.

The only thing that takes the time is getting eoigh res to get your Dro Synths built

Offline Stina Starr

• Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hodgsonsurvivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 11:30:55 PM »
I'm a big supporter of finding a few players to trade with...

And a few others to steal from. ;)

Hunting is fun.

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 01:46:47 AM »
@bob,

I think your approach is a good one for folks who need millions to billions of hydro a day.  I suspect that approach will break down once you get to where you need trillions, quadrillions, or quintillions of hydro per day.

Offline bob the yak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 12:46:08 PM »
I'm currently already making trillions of hydrogen profit. I just need to find the point where it's no longer viable.

For 20 Tril Dro from the Npc it costs 40 - 60 Bil to launch Z's & depending on the debris field the cost is 500 Bil - 2 Tril to launch Dios from Heph so it's all gravy for me currently :D

Offline WGW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 07:25:11 PM »
I personally find balance is the key.  Using the hydro to power your ships is fine as wine, but if your neighbors dramatically increase their RSP . your targets are going to increase along that same line.  However, if you want to add to your overall standings, there is nothing wrong in purchasing your res to balance out what you already have.

Say you have  ....
5,000,000,000,000 ore laying about ... and your crys and h are used up! Sure you can merch it down, but thats a helluva cost for most.  So .. you either now ...

1. Get Crys and H to build Zeese and Dios (increasing your avail targets and perhaps fleets running as welll)
 or

2. Get crys and upgrade your own hydro ware (making you more financially stable as well.)

Or do none of the above! Its all good, and to each their own!

“And he who wields white, wild magic gold is a paradox. For he is everything and nothing. Hero and fool. Potent, helpless. And with one word of truth or treachery, He will save or damn the earth. Because he is mad and sane. Cold and passionate, Lost and found”

Offline *SHINZON*

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 12:46:13 AM »
i seriously don't believe I am going to write this but what the hell here goes..... I have to agree with WGW, it's up to each individual player to make up their own minds. If higher rank players are willing to sell resources to aid a lower rank player so that they can enjoy the game more, then so be it! Personally i tend to give away more resources than i sell because there is no more satisfaction than knowing you're increasing your team mates enjoyment.

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 03:32:09 AM »
Yes, we all do have free will, fellows.

The point that I was making in my original post was that the economics of buying OC are simply horrible, when compared to buying H and leveraging the H to go get OC by hitting NPCs.  The person ends up spending maybe 50x to 150x as many credits by buying a given number of units of OC, as they would if they just bought the H that is needed to go fetch that same OC.

If someone wants to spend their credits on OC, that most definitely is their prerogative and their decision.  I can also start a fire using $100 bills if I wish to do so ;-)

Offline bob the yak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 05:39:18 PM »
I fully understand Admiral T-Wayne

When I had a big account I could never understand why someone would purchase O & C when you earn enough from Npc's

Offline WGW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 06:06:37 PM »
well as we all know,  The good ol Ore piles up en masse in SFCO, people tend to have insane piles of it built up. There are few ways to handle this....

1. Build Missile batteries - not a choice option since your NPC spawns are based on your RSP
2. Have the frog delete it! Done myself a few times
3. Get the C and H to make it into something useful! Might not be the most economic credit wise, but certainly the most advantage to using what you already have!

As to the base economics .. H vs C AND O - the value deficiency is nowhere near 50x - 150x, it is actually just the merchant rate ratios.

The trading posts ran in SFCO are my version of handing out res .... and they go through it! all at no cost, to make playing the game possible and enjoyable by anybody who takes the effort to play ...

Have I ever handed out free res? Well.... if I did .. those are my secrets   :P

“And he who wields white, wild magic gold is a paradox. For he is everything and nothing. Hero and fool. Potent, helpless. And with one word of truth or treachery, He will save or damn the earth. Because he is mad and sane. Cold and passionate, Lost and found”

Offline Bulgarian Teal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 08:42:16 PM »
My thanks to all of you experienced heads! As one of the smaller players, I MUST give you Big Dawgs a big salute. I've been building much like you guys recommend. My Boss, Treakle, preaches the same sermon. In addition, he posts you can never have enough dios.
Last week, I thought my Mighty fleet had plenty. They have been supporting my 16B Zeese, after all. Then, I get a message out of the blue. A rather large player, from another alliance, sent me a message.
He said that he would be popping a large, local (to me) NPC. He said that at the time, he was running too low on H2 to send the dios. And the debris would be mine.
So far, after a week, I've managed to scoop up about 5℅ of the original cloud. Spent a lot of H2 while doing so.
I, for one, will take your advice to heart. I also have an added respect for your resource management!!!
My Dio fleets have grown about 200x, and I still don't have enough!
Now, when the Boss posts NPC hits, I'll have more respect for his ability to clean up the mess! Those numbers are mind boggling, and I applaud all of you on your management skills!
Thanks for all the advice!

Offline Stina Starr

• Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hodgsonsurvivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 10:19:26 PM »
I've had a growth spurt, recently, and I, like BT, am wrapping my brain around the amount of dios needed for these larger fleets. With that, I'm having to relearn what "normal" is for my hydro costs. I fumbled through trying to trade for hydro for almost 24 hours because I didn't consider so many different things! I'm adjusting and am thankful for the tips, advice, and willing trade partners. I'm still having fun...and that's a credit to the "senior" game players who keep checking on my progress and investing in my success.  :-*