contact
September 22, 2017, 07:58:33 AM

Author Topic: A serious question for PVPers  (Read 296 times)

Offline Siofra

• View Profile
A serious question for PVPers
« on: January 16, 2017, 08:09:58 AM »
I have been playing for a while, and I have a question for all those who consider themselves PVPers.  There is an element about this style of game play which I do not understand, and I hope that somebody could explain it to me.

At its most basic, I guess I would like to know why people PVP.  I understand the attack when a player can destroy a massive fleet with minimal losses, or when the player has a huge amount of res to plunder.  In both cases, I can understand it when the attack will net the attacker a substantial profit, particularly in comparison to a similar NPC hit.

I can understand attacking a player as part of a war, or revenge.  That's just normal game play.

I can also understand attacking players in those universes where PVP is the only way to get DSP.  In these universes, I can accept DSP as a badge of honor, and a way of ranking a players hunting prowess.  In addition, given enough time in a universe, DSP can be a major component of the overall rank. 

What I don't understand are attacks on much smaller players in universes where NPCs grant DSP.  I have always assumed that the major goal in all universes is the struggle to achieve a good rank.  Everybody wants to be more powerful, and maintaining a top tier rank would be akin to winning a game which has no actual way to win.  With this thought, I would assume that most players would engage in actions which are beneficial to themselves or their allies.  Again, I accept that war and revenge are notable exceptions to this rule, but would also argue that these exceptions only count for a tiny proportion of the overall attacks in a universe.

In these universes I have personally experienced, and have known many people who have experienced attacks by significantly stronger players.  To be specific, I have seen attacks when the attacker sends more than 10 times as many capital ships as I had total ships.  My question, then, is why would a player do such an attack.  Given the relative size and scope of the universe at that time, the attacking player would gain far more resources, both in plunder, debris, and DSP than they would get by smashing my fleet.  Such an attack would be risky as well.  I simply FRS my ships before the attack lands, and I imagine most people do as well.  While everybody occasionally gets caught flat footed, I doubt most players get caught flat footed every time.  In addition to that there is the risk of a ninja-defense, though admittedly that would be rare given the huge size difference.  My point is that in such instances the attacker would have a much better chance for a successful hit against the NPC, much less risk, and would gain more res and DSP.

I am also considering the outcomes of such attacks.  If the larger player focuses on such attacks, then other large players who focus on NPCs will quickly outrank them.  For the smaller attacked players who manage to FRS in time, they will actually close the gap in rank as their time can be spent in profitable attacks.  In both cases, the attacking player is sacrificing potential rank for the option of PVPing.  For the smaller player who gets caught flat footed and lose their fleet, there are generally only two outcomes: either they rebuild (perhaps with help from buddies) or they despair or rage and quit the game.  If they rebuild, but get crushed again, it is more likely that they will quit.  From what I have seen, it seems that more players are leaving the game each month then are joining the game.  So to my eyes, it seems that the only positive outcome of such an attack is to cause more players to quit an already dying game.

Personally I am generally a pretty passive player, so I don't really understand this aspect of the game.  I am posting this as a real question; I am simply trying to understand. 

Offline Bad Wookiee

• View Profile
Re: A serious question for PVPers
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 08:31:57 AM »
The whole franchise was created on a PvP platform you're playing a PvP game and NPC's were only introduced out of necessity because as people got hit one by one they would need ways to rebuild and stay in the game and with live targets getting fewer and fewer NPC's gave you a way to do that. As players grew in stature so the NPCs grew in size and it became a more profitable way to build rank than hitting other players.

Offline commander abаб

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 11:52:02 AM »
PvP attacks are more interesting. 
The name of the opponent is not the same old thing.

In the case of a massive fleet attacking me and I'm online, if I can or can arrange a ninja, I will.  Otherwise, I just find something else to attack while being attacked, and fleetsave the rest if possible.  In universes where I'm a small fry, I just use up the resources while the attack is incoming.  They see activity and recall in about half the cases.

Offline Commander Trinista

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 04:37:43 AM »
Meh Smashing someones stuff feels more satisfying than smashing NPCS. Some dont care about rank - just non dsp kills.
And nothing feels more satisfying than a well executed ninja. Hittting newbs in an alliance usually provokes reatalliation which gives opportunities for ninjas.
Besides yu leave stuff lying about then whadayah expect?
smash smash smash

Offline Wargasm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 04:46:52 AM »
What's this "PvP" you speak of?

90% of every attack that yields profit is against someone that's asleep, AFK, sick, dead or otherwise offline.  I don't consider it PvP when your victim isn't online to defend themselves.  But, in the extremely narrow opportunity of active engagements against online players, like Aba5 is suggesting, it can be quite an adrenaline rush.

In answer to your question, the reason people "bully" smaller players (to put your post in a few words) is strictly for DSP.  Losses are trivialized because DSP (the value of your fleet in resources) is added to their score.  The realization of this made for game rules changes, such as some forms of pushing, the proper exchange of moonshots, etc.

birthmark-ant