contact
September 24, 2017, 04:58:59 AM

Author Topic: FAQ for Newbies  (Read 13168 times)

Offline engineman312

• View Profile
Re: FAQ for Newbies
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 12:19:10 AM »
srsly, noobs aren't reading.  they don't want to check the wiki, or the rules, or do a search, or even experiment on their own.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
Quote from: \"engineman312\"
Quote from: \"Nero\"
if you read the wiki....

reading ftw

Schlag96

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 07:38:59 PM »
Quote from: "engineman312"
srsly, noobs aren't reading.  they don't want to check the wiki, or the rules, or do a search, or even experiment on their own.
Welcome to teh internets.

:roll:

Offline MarcsSpaceB

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 01:01:45 AM »
Quote from: "engineman312"

Some of us are. :) But, my man is the one that pointed out the wiki link. I hadn't even noticed I'd gotten a message.

Justin Coles 928543

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 01:28:46 AM »
yes, the wiki isn't the be all and end all u know.... no manual can beat the advice from you more exoerinced players..... if all u want to do is refer to the wiki, then whats the point in the 'newbie corner'

Offline Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 02:45:25 AM »
i think new players SHOULD read the wiki. it's like reading the instructions manual to a game.

however, to the more experienced guys, chill out a bit lol. i know i asked a lot of these same questions when i first started - for people that didn't play "inferior game" or whatever, some of that stuff is confusing. and look far it got me :-)
Retired from the Original Universe.
Peak - #9 Overall, #8 DSP

Retired from Uni 2
Peak - #10 Overall, #10 DSP

Offline BlackShirt

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 03:02:21 AM »
Or the experienced players who are a bit grumpy can stop reading the newbie section posts and get a nap :) That's what I did!
I\'m the 7th Care Bear of the Apocalypse  \":twisted:\" Deal with it

Offline JoshLind

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 03:57:09 AM »
Q: Is there a level cap on buildings?

Offline Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 04:01:07 PM »
Quote from: "JoshLind"
Q: Is there a level cap on buildings?
Each time you level up a building, you use up a "field".  Your planet has a certain number of fields.  (For example, the Homeworld you started on will have 163 fields).

Offline Admiral_M_Reynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 06:23:50 PM »
I currently have a Solar Array 21, Crystal Mine 19, and Ore Mine 19. I'm currently in diplomacy mode to just gather up resources and build ships; currently waiting to have enough resources to build the next solar array or I'd have an energy deficit.

I have 9 Dionysus Class ships which I use to run missions until I have enough resources to upgrade my mines to 20 before researching more. I read on the wiki the following

Quote:
Please note that putting more than one Atlas Class Cargo in a fleet will not result in getting more resources from a mission or attack, unless that mission or opponent is paying out more resources than one can carry.

http://wiki.playstarfleet.com/index.php ... ltitasking

Now if I run 8x "Harvest Debris Field" missions in parallel does that mean I can get maximum 8x the resources stated in the description or that all 8 will just be carrying the resources for 1 and the rest are redundant?

Thanks.

Offline SGS 6

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 09:28:58 PM »
Quote from: "Admiral_M_Reynolds"
I currently have a Solar Array 21, Crystal Mine 19, and Ore Mine 19. I'm currently in diplomacy mode to just gather up resources and build ships; currently waiting to have enough resources to build the next solar array or I'd have an energy deficit.

I have 9 Dionysus Class ships which I use to run missions until I have enough resources to upgrade my mines to 20 before researching more. I read on the wiki the following

Quote:
Please note that putting more than one Atlas Class Cargo in a fleet will not result in getting more resources from a mission or attack, unless that mission or opponent is paying out more resources than one can carry.

http://wiki.playstarfleet.com/index.php ... ltitasking

Now if I run 8x "Harvest Debris Field" missions in parallel does that mean I can get maximum 8x the resources stated in the description or that all 8 will just be carrying the resources for 1 and the rest are redundant?

Thanks.

Missions have been changed a few months ago and I'm not sure that the WIKI is up to date. You used to be able to send custom fleets on missions; this is no longer true.

What you're talking about is the "times" box on the Missions page? When you use this, it sends X number of fleets to do that mission simultaneously (limited by your supply of fleet slots and the correct types of ships). You DO receive X times the standard profits from the missions... so for example if you do something 4 times, it takes 4 times the ships, 4 fleet slots and you get 4 times the reward. Just as if you'd clicked it 4 times seperately.
Uni 1: retired, formerly Silver Gate Squadron
Uni 2: Sheridan Starkiller, Leader of the Shadows (Shadows)
http://http://wiki.playstarfleet.com/index.php/Shadows_(Shadows)

Offline Arien Trydianth

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 09:36:04 PM »
Wow, not really a newb, but I have a burning question.

On some techs, wiki states that there is no benefit for researching them further at a certain point, and that's simple enough.

I just want to know if there is any correlation of one tech to anther, besides unlocking them.
If I continued researching plasma, will my Plasma Cannons be more powerful, or do I need to research weapons tech for that?
If I wanted a more efficient Jet drive, do I research just the jet drive or improve my energy tech too?
If I wanted to boost my Warp Drive, can I only upgrade the Warp drive or can I upgrade the FTL as well?

Do I upgrade only 1 tech, or can I upgrade any and all associated with it to improve certain aspects of it?

Offline Vanandapeus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 09:45:30 PM »
Quote from: "Arien Trydianth"

On some techs, wiki states that there is no benefit for researching them further at a certain point, and that's simple enough.

I just want to know if there is any correlation of one tech to anther, besides unlocking them.
If I continued researching plasma, will my Plasma Cannons be more powerful, or do I need to research weapons tech for that?
If I wanted a more efficient Jet drive, do I research just the jet drive or improve my energy tech too?
If I wanted to boost my Warp Drive, can I only upgrade the Warp drive or can I upgrade the FTL as well?

Do I upgrade only 1 tech, or can I upgrade any and all associated with it to improve certain aspects of it?

You only upgrade one.

6 techs in the game have no use other than to unlock things (or in the case of ARCNet speed up research), and effectively cap out at a particular level. After this level there is no practical purpose to researching them. These techs are:
    Laser Tech
    Particle Tech
    Plasma Tech
    FTL Tech
    Expedition Tech
    Advanced Research Communications Network.
Seven sixteenths of an inch
"That\'s the distance you\'d have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot."
Thank you Maddox \":D\"

Offline Arien Trydianth

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 10:18:14 PM »
Quote from: "Vanandapeus"
Quote from: "Arien Trydianth"

You only upgrade one.

6 techs in the game have no use other than to unlock things (or in the case of ARCNet speed up research), and effectively cap out at a particular level. After this level there is no practical purpose to researching them. These techs are:
    Laser Tech
    Particle Tech
    Plasma Tech
    FTL Tech
    Expedition Tech
    Advanced Research Communications Network.

That helps to know actually thanks, but I'm wondering about the following as well;
Besides bumping my score, can they improve anything else, or do they effectively not produce any more effects?  ARCNet makes sense, but can I up my FTL tech to improve my Warp drive besides its current stats?

Offline Vanandapeus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2010, 10:29:08 PM »
No.
Seven sixteenths of an inch
"That\'s the distance you\'d have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot."
Thank you Maddox \":D\"

Vastet

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2010, 12:37:45 AM »
Techs that always have a diminishing benefit to upgrading:
Armour
Shields
Weapons
Jet Drive
Pulse Drive
Warp Drive
Energy Tech
Espionage Tech
AI Tech

Everything else has a maximum level benefit, at which point the only value of researching is found on the scoreboard.