contact
September 23, 2017, 11:33:07 PM

Author Topic: FAQ for Newbies  (Read 13166 times)

Offline the enforcer

• View Profile
Re: FAQ for Newbies
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2010, 12:43:36 AM »
is there a diminishing benefit to upgrading AI Tech?

sure it costs more, but you still get 1 fleet spot so the benefit has remained the same.

where as with the % one it is based on base speed attack hull shield so there is a diminish benefit to total % as you upgrade. so the upgrade is less the higher you upgrade it for the increased cost.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »

Vastet

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2010, 12:53:09 AM »
I'd say it's still diminishing. You get one more fleet regardless of the level, but the cost goes up significantly. Eventually you'll get to the point of no practical benefit at all, despite having to hand out hundreds of millions of res and dozens of hours of time. Who can pay proper attention to 30 fleets all hitting targets within a 5 minute window? And how small is the profit compared to if you were running more ships on fewer but bigger attacks?
Might be a bit of an extreme example, but it's accurate enough.

Offline jtsticks

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2010, 12:44:40 PM »
Can anyone give the level where the researching new levels of each tech no longer provides benefits??

Offline Arien Trydianth

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 08:09:43 PM »
Quote from: "Vastet"
Techs that always have a diminishing benefit to upgrading:
Armour
Shields
Weapons
Jet Drive
Pulse Drive
Warp Drive
Energy Tech
Espionage Tech
AI Tech

Everything else has a maximum level benefit, at which point the only value of researching is found on the scoreboard.

OK, thanks, thats actually what I was looking for.  I can only guess the benefit of having those others researched would be to simply have unlocked any future new units or building prerequisites.

Offline Vanandapeus

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2010, 10:24:04 PM »
Quote from: "jtsticks"
Can anyone give the level where the researching new levels of each tech no longer provides benefits??

As it stands right now:
    FTL Tech: level 9
    Particle Tech: level 10
    Plasma Tech: level 9
    Laser Tech: level 14
    Expedition Tech: level 8
    Advanced Research Communications Network: level 8

All others HAVE a benefit, it's just (as Vastet says) diminishing.

***Edit: These are the maximum levels useful, do not research anything PAST this***
Seven sixteenths of an inch
"That\'s the distance you\'d have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot."
Thank you Maddox \":D\"

Offline WereRabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2010, 01:31:59 AM »
A suggestion to add to the list:

Search to see if a topic like yours has been started recently.  No you are not the first person to suggest a bigger and faster cargo ship.  No you are not the first person to wonder why hydro cost the same for transports and deploys.  If you look a bit you will find the answer instead of having experienced players yell at you (which many do).

Offline JaeBrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2010, 08:21:28 AM »
Nice guide with max out for certain resource/buildings.
Nova Uni > ign - DeathTaker.

Offline Captain Quack

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2010, 09:12:55 PM »
Quote from: "Vanandapeus"
Quote from: "jtsticks"

As it stands right now:
    FTL Tech: level 9
    Particle Tech: level 10
    Plasma Tech: level 9
    Laser Tech: level 14
    Expedition Tech: level 8
    Advanced Research Communications Network: level 8

All others HAVE a benefit, it's just (as Vastet says) diminishing.

***Edit: These are the maximum levels useful, do not research anything PAST this***
In addition to these, I feel that there are some levels for certain techs that DO give you a benefit, but just might not be worth what you put into it.  ARCnet is one of those.  ARCNet level one generally cuts your research times in half if you have two research labs that are both high level.  Level 2 ARCNet only cuts times by about 25% and level 3 by another 12.5% on average as long as you have 4 high level research labs.  Past that, for level 4, you a paying about 3.5 million in Resources (and waiting like 200 hours where you cannot build ANYTHING on that colony) for only about a 6% decrease in research times.  The same goes for Capitol levels much over level 10 (which is needed for foundry).  Too much resources used per time saved.  I might also include foundry past level 4.....are you willing to pay 25 MILLION just to shave off 3% from your build times? (I dont' think i would even pay 12.8 million for lvl 4 and its 6.25% reduction!!).
Messiah 2K02 will lead us!!

Offline dizziedobsession

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2010, 12:19:22 AM »
Q: What does selling an account actually do, since you can only have one account per player? Allow people to leech off the resources and things before getting it destroyed??

A:??
Add me if you support my ideas or just want a new buddy! I\'m out in O.G76.

[size=85]I\'m not one for frats and sororities, but i do love my greek-named fleets! [/size]

Offline Big S

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2010, 01:38:19 AM »
Quote from: "dizziedobsession"
Q: What does selling an account actually do, since you can only have one account per player? Allow people to leech off the resources and things before getting it destroyed??

A:??
Think of it like spending credits in game to get ahead. If you just started out you can spend money with BFG to get credits to get a geologist, speed up tech research, etc. You could spend hundreds of dollars and only be getting incrementally better. You see a high ranked account on Ebay, and for less money, you are near the top of the heap suddenly. Of course if you buy it, you have to abandon your old account. Sure you could give it to a spouse and leach off it, but why when you can just take over the old account and put the other in "v". For a few bucks you can even rename it back to your old name once the old account expires.
Quote from: \"Evan Woodard\"
I\'m pretty sure that\'s just D-baggery.

Offline Stem1986

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2011, 07:00:03 PM »
Can a  transport (not a deployment)be attacked if someone put an oracle lock on it and timed his attack fleet to arrive at the same time as the transport fleet?

Offline the enforcer

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2011, 07:03:19 PM »
no but they can get the rez.

Offline Dry Rain

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2011, 10:28:29 PM »
Actually its difficult to get the resources as you can recall if you see them on their way to attack the destination.... they can easily lock your fleet if they waited for you for you to drop the resources then follow you home to the origin planet.

birthmark-ant