contact
November 22, 2017, 03:31:15 AM

Author Topic: Defense: A Strategical Discussion  (Read 10771 times)

Offline jetras

• View Profile
Re: Defense: A Strategical Discussion
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 07:29:48 PM »
Once I got higher up I started making my ratios a little different...

Now I have:

1000 Missiles
350 Lasers
60 Pulse
60 Particle
50 Gauss
25 Plasma
1 Lg and 1 Reg Decoy
and 40 ABMs

I want to get it to a wine glass shape instead of a funnel:

1000 Missiles
500 Lasers
60 Pulse
60 Particle
100 Gauss
50 Plasmas  :lol:

edit: oh, and I have NEVER been attacked on my Homeworld...so all the resources spent towards my fleet, are still there  ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
Please Read the Table of Contents prior to posting Ideas]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2366

Offline silly_me

• Skype - elvis.perlsly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 04:33:42 PM »
so most people don't use the decoy?
elvis perlsly
(not elvis presley)

Offline sfman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 05:07:30 PM »
Quote from: "silly_me"

They do, as the decoys are the only defenses that Ares does not rapid fire against

Offline tictac02_02

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 02:13:52 AM »
I disagree on several points made here...

To begin with, lasers are only slightly more expensive than missiles and provide a greater attack as well as not encouraging poseidons.  This is important because of the another point of disagreement.

Artemis ships help form vital defense.  By having perhaps 100 when total defense buildings are 300, 1/4th of shots will hit an Artemis instead of a defense reducing the chains from any Ares.  Artemis are also cost effective against any ship when part of a mixed defensive force.  When attacking they also make great fodder.

20 mis.
100 laser.
20 pulse
20 particle
10 gauss
2 plasma
1 sm. decoy
1 lg. decoy
20 ABM

and 60 artemis

It should be noted I wouldn't develope my defenses to this level outside of my homeworld as I'd never have worthy resources remain anywhere else.

Offline Obsidian

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 09:46:19 AM »
If we're packing plasmas then we can assume the attacker is packing proms.  If that's the case they are far more likely to send a bunch of proms then they are a bunch of posis.  If this is the case more laser turrets than missile turrets is not such a great idea.  I agree with the 50/50 split, but if I was going to build more of one than the other it would be the missiles.

Offline origon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 10:46:22 AM »
Quote from: "sfman"
Quote from: "silly_me"

They do, as the decoys are the only defenses that Ares does not rapid fire against

Actually Ares doesn't rapidfire against Gauss or Plasma either...

Offline tictac02_02

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 04:19:04 PM »
Quote from: "Obsidian"
If we're packing plasmas then we can assume the attacker is packing proms.  If that's the case they are far more likely to send a bunch of proms then they are a bunch of posis.  If this is the case more laser turrets than missile turrets is not such a great idea.  I agree with the 50/50 split, but if I was going to build more of one than the other it would be the missiles.

An excellent thought,... but here is why the lasers still work.  In my given quantities, we'd have 100 lasers and about 140 "other".   So, a prom. that hits a lasers will kill it (cheap with 70% rebuild) and likely hit something ELSE on its first and only rapid.  A rapid fire of 5 or 50 makes little difference on a mixed force.

Again, the missile turrets would encourage poseidens we don't want.   It should be noted we DON'T want them, not only for their ability to rapid on missiles or artemis, but because they one shot all the fodder units just as easily as any high end ship.

If we're being attacked with 100 of any high end ship, none of this matters does it?

Offline phalanges

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 05:01:35 PM »
The trick is to survive long enough to develop the better defenses. In the early going, I'm getting my defenses utterly wiped out by superior foes. I'm glad I found out about fleet saving, but that doesn't help save your land defenses or satellites.

Offline EvilPenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 11:16:03 PM »
The particle and pulse are bad they don't concentrate their firepower or provide fodder your better off building more batteries and gauss.  You also have too many abm's and there should be more batteries than cannons assuming this not a stage where poseidon's are common, the crystal is really important in endgame ships.  Your defense should also not be based on your mine level but on your threat level.

Offline CaptainJai

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 02:57:39 AM »
Regarding the prior comment on the Artemis, what do you guys think? I am kind of new, and I LOVE the forum and all the info you post. You have really given me some great direction in getting off to a fast and (so far) successful start.

So, I'm tailoring my defenses on the ratio you suggest, but I'm still unsure of how much ship fodder I should put out there (Artemis & Atlas???) in addition to my defenses. Good ratio, anyone?

Offline Dampaq.Pale.Horseman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 03:05:10 AM »
I don't build defence, and because of the savings I am making there, I now have a fleet that can rip through most of defences that I see installed.  It won't be too long where I will be able to Rip through 50 Plasmas 5000 missile launchers and all the bits in between. :)

I LOVE FODDER  :twisted:  :twisted:
Death[/b], and his Hades followed with him.[/color]

Offline A. Hachie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 07:54:04 PM »
I think defences are a waste of money, if you fleetsave properly, you are virtually unattackable.

Offline Jumbo Jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 11:46:13 PM »
Quote from: "A. Hachie"
I think defences are a waste of money, if you fleetsave properly, you are virtually unattackable.
+1
Former player

(\'Retired\' is too nice a term; how about, Quit? Why? Oh I don\'t know, maybe because the PvP interaction rules are obnoxiously selected, variably defined, capriciously enforced and altogether unreasonable... anyone? anyone?)

Vastet

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 09:05:05 PM »
Until you get a power failure 30 minutes before your fleets come home.

Offline Marlboro Mann

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
I don't know why I'm surprised many of the comments on the last two pages show they didn't read, or perhaps didn't understand, the original post.  I'll not reprint it here - go back and read it if you're confused.

I have settled the maximum of nine planets - and only three of those have defenses.  On these planets I stockpile resources to construct high level buildings (on all planets).  I do research on only 1 planet.  

I've already benefited from my 'no defense' on two planets that received 10+ missiles in an attack that followed an unsuccessful probing.  I lost nothing and the attacker learned nothing. Kinda funny, actually.

I do agree with the author - if your mines are in the 20's and you have no defense, anyone can come in with cargo ships and scoop up your goodies while you fleet-save.  Still, until I see I'm losing resources I'll use my savings to build more ships and raise my Tech levels.

Thanks for the ratios - I will compare them to what I currently have an make adjustments.   MM

birthmark-ant