contact
September 21, 2017, 12:26:27 PM

Author Topic: Defense: A Strategical Discussion  (Read 10682 times)

andy nard1

Re: Defense: A Strategical Discussion
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2011, 10:17:53 PM »
If you're up at
10,000 missile
10,000 laser
4,000 pulse
4,000 particle
1,000 gauss
600 plasma

You're not going to get hit unless you leave a fleet out, which you shouldn't be doing in the first place.

You don't really need to go as heavy as I do in that ratio ; Some people would rather build 2 gauss than 1 plasma, or vice versa.

But always, I repeat ALWAYS, have defences on your planet.

Maybe not many ; some people in less aggressive areas may get away with 1k missiles and 1k lasers, and that's it.

But playing this game without defences is like going into war without bulletproof armour ; Once your lucky streak runs out, you're screwed.

Please feel free to probe my planets...and attack them for my resources...I will never waste so much amount of resources to protect a overnight production...OMG even you try to sound like a teacher...you have not understood a dime of this game...
Wasting hundred of millions of resources to protect a few millions ROFL...please say it again...about the bulletproof...

Offline GraemeCracker

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2011, 01:03:55 AM »
There are other purposes for building defenses than just protecting overnight production.  Protecting Helios and deterring oracle locks are two that come to mind.  Never mind the possible protection if something should happen in RL and you are unable to FRS.  Yes, I know, no fleetsave = no fleet and no amount of defense will stop someone from getting your fleet, but it could delay the attack somewhat (if, for example, it forces someone to send proms vs. posis), and that may be all you need to get back online and FRS.  And as I mentioned in my previous thread, it allows me to leave some ships un-FRS'd for raiding with little fear.

Offline Lieutenant Crow

• Catch me if you can.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2011, 02:55:13 AM »
I don't agree with the '30 ABM's and you're safe' thing.

I'm hitting an inactive right now that had 25k missiles, 100 plasma, 200 gauss, and 60 ABM's. I sent about 400 nukes his way, and leveled most of his defences. And the cost of those nukes was nothing compared to the 1k athenas I would have lost if I hadn't nuked.

Morat

« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2011, 03:55:47 PM »
Might help if you said what Unis you're talking about. Anywhere except SFCO it's nothing to throw a few hundred nukes to cut losses. I'll routinely nuke even well-defended inactives just for the convenience in farming them, which I would rarely even consider in SFCO.

Offline the enforcer

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2011, 06:37:35 PM »
when you need just a few rounds of the def that ratio becomes alot less effective.

you are better off with just mb and plasmas. get enough fodder and you increase the proms needed to quickly punch through. make the hydro cost to launch the attack more than 12 hours of hydro production to take 0 prom losses. will people attack? sure it doesn't need to completely try and deter, you want them to attack so that you can ninja and harvest over yourself.  8)

Offline Monkey D. Luffy

• Monkey D. Luffy - Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2011, 07:54:51 PM »
For X2, a ratio that works very well for your "main" base world, is a very simple one... (assuming of course, that you have both decoys as well)

100 missile
100 laser
1 plasma

You'll also want to keep 100 ABMs on hand (if you need IPBMs, you can delete the ABMs, and build as many IPBMs as you need, while you need them, then rebuild the ABMs again)

Simple formula keeps away 99% of most attackers, 99% of the time...

I've been in X2 since the second day it started, I'm a fairly aggressive, although usually polite, player... despite this, my planets have only been attacked a total of 4 times in X2... two of those attacks were by groups to take out my fleet (yes, my fleet has been wiped out twice - both times I had to stay late at work)...

Of the other two attacks, one was a simple retaliation attack, at a huge loss, by a player who's main fleet I took out in an Olock,... (no hard feelings towards him, I understood his position) and the other attack was a quick "raid" on my least defended world, by a jack-ass, just for my overnight production and 100 cargo ships... Of course, after I nuked all of his planets completely free of any defenses, he never attacked me again...

For that matter, I haven't had any of my planets attacked since that time either :)

At the very least, it works for me :)
~Monkey D. Luffy - Retired.

Offline nebmaatra

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2011, 08:40:58 PM »
I'm an admitted turtle, but it works for me.  My fleet, even if left out, is about 1/6th of the worlds defenses.  No attack on me, except by a group of hephs coming by at a very lucky time, could possibly pull a profitable attack on me.  Not even close, really.  My defenses have saved me the few times I couldn't FRS and got probed.  I know there's plenty of luck involved, but defenses are worth their weight in gold.

Offline Thermopyle

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2011, 10:41:36 PM »
i dont think gauss should be left out of any defense build, and have always liked laggynates ratio of 4 to 1 gauss to plasmas.  without looking at anything i believe only thing that rapid fires on them is zeus.

another thought is , proms really dont rapid fire on lasers all that much, you really need a ton of them to take out a decent chunk. but still im not a huge fan of lasers either, i prefer to build pulse.

i dont go crazy with ratios except for 4 to 1 gauss to plasmas. lots of missiles, and what you can afford in pulse. a lot of people (including high rankers) dont build bombers at all, so adds value to the pulse cannon. plus a nice swarm of them add up to some good damage.

abms, you want a lot, but going past silo 8 is a bit costly.

a fully balanced build is nice, but really who wants to spend that much on defenses. build whats effective and dump the rest.

birthmark-ant