contact
September 21, 2017, 12:27:11 PM

Author Topic: Defense Ratio  (Read 17140 times)

kru

Re: Defense Ratio
« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2014, 11:19:46 PM »
thanks for bringing back to life a thread which is over 2 months old.

those defences were almost over 2 months old.  If you don't understand defences, then no stratergy will help you.

The real stratergy to having defences is to have a very high weapons tech, higher than the above average shield tech.

In huigh numbers, missile batts & lasers will decimate fodder, pulse and particle will decimate cruisers, meaning that an attacker will have to significantly way up the hydro expenditure to send athena/ares/hades/proms or even risk sending zeus.

In unis where thanatos are common place, many people do not truely understand the benefit of very high pulse and/or particle.

In any case, a good defensive network only works well with high weapons tech....armour tech could be an idea as well to allow them to take a beating.

Also, each defensive unit only ever fires once per round, some ships will rapid fire.....but sure, if like me you have 100 trillion pulse & particle, that's 200 trillion extra shots at attackers in the first round alone..

There is nothing bragging.....but hey, if thats what you think, then you must think the person posting his uni2 defences is also bragging right?

moreover, the thread is entitled 'defence ratio' i simply stated i have a good defence ratio....you are more than welcome to battlecalc my defences and see the pain they bring
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 11:21:50 PM by kru »

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 28, 2014, 12:43:39 AM »
kru,

'Fess up, you were bragging, when you posted your numbers (not your ratios) and said (paraphrasing) "and this is on just one planet".

The subsequent discussion that you provided **is** a good contribution to the strategic discussion of defense ratios.

Offline commander abаб

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 28, 2014, 02:03:10 AM »
He posted all his defenses on a planet, you can determine the ratios from that. Making personal attacks on him is uncalled for!

Offline censored

• censored
    • Facebook - censored
    • LinkedIn - censored
    • Skype - censored
    • Twitter - censored
    • View Profile
    • censored
« Reply #198 on: May 05, 2015, 12:27:40 PM »
As people still refer to this thread, it really needs an update. The ratios that were established are in need of a slight tweaking with all the changes that have happened over the years.

First, missile batteries should be significantly reduced for any player who has newly joined a uni. The daily quest: turtle soup; encourages players to seek out and destroy missiles. Until you can put up a significant defence wall complete with tonnes of ABM's and plasmas, they are more likely to attract attention than to disuade attackers. I personally would recommend you have no more than half as many missiles as you have lasers. It wouldn't be a bad idea to ignore missiles altogether.

Plasmas are also much more important than they once were. I think having as many plasmas as gauss is not a bad idea. Uni's that have Thanatos in them make even plasmas look weak, but as the strongest defence and the ONLY defence that you can build en masse that never have rapid fire vulnerability, they are essential.
Butthurt losers completely owned by me:

Matt H
Grace
Swanvesta
Tech9
BrianC

Offline yrx

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 09, 2016, 05:45:21 AM »
Currently, I've been fiddling with the ratio of
70 Missile batteries
100 Laser Cannons
10 Space mines
10 Pulse cannons
7 particle cannons
7 gauss guns
1 plasma cannon. 

(Repeated in large multiples, of course.)

I seem to experience fewer attacks than when I was using any variation of the laggynate solutions.  Also, my ore-crystal ratio seems more favorable than those variations.

I can agree with some of those who complained about Laggynate's numbers:

It IS better to have more laser cannons than missiles.  Poseidons rapid fire on missiles, and don't like lots of laser cannons.  This encoruages players to use bigger, slower fleets, which means I am more likely to get a heads-up before they cream me... and therefore I am better able to FRS, spend on defenses, ninja defense, or otherwise deter future attacks.

Also It IS better to have more pulse cannons than particle cannons.  Particle cannons are a huge drain in crystal, and while they hold up better in battle, they aren't as good a deterrent as the same amount of ore and crystal spent on plasma cannons or gauss cannons.

I do suspect my number of space mines is a bit high...  I have to do some noticeable rebuilding after all-hermes moon shots.  However, thanatos cannot rapid fire against them, few players bother keeping a lot of pallas at the ready in their fleets, and most other ships used for wiping out defenses don't do super-well against them either, so most attackers have tried to nuke them before they come down at me... which also tends to give me more of a head's-up before they land... and like most alliances, my mates are often ready to get behind retaliatory attacks against nuke-users.