contact
July 21, 2018, 04:02:55 AM

Author Topic: JV tournament for 2018  (Read 1751 times)

Offline occuli imperator

• View Profile
Re: JV tournament for 2018
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2017, 01:17:13 PM »
C....t is  ad but when wrongly used...
I used it for the proper target...dead zone
My enemy’s enemy is a problem for later: In the meantime, they might be useful.

Offline James Potter

• do the happy dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2017, 01:23:04 PM »
okay never mind  ::) ::)

on this moment there is no use to talk to you

Offline occuli imperator

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2017, 02:31:50 PM »
True...lol
My enemy’s enemy is a problem for later: In the meantime, they might be useful.

Offline Dead Zone

• FRS or lose your toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2017, 07:32:37 AM »
You Occuli were never part of Rayman's tournament. From what Theo told me Shinzon blamed you for intelligence I had received about BasedOn activities. I'm sorry that happened to you, but they want to believe what they want to believe. I explained to Theo where my info came from, but that was after Shinzon booted you, but I in no way EVER stated that you gave me information, the only times your name came across was why you weren't participating in the tournament, was told it was because of hydro and you weren't going to buy any res.

Offline Dead Zone

• FRS or lose your toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2017, 08:07:11 PM »
Full rules will be forthcoming, I'm including the applicable alliance leaders and some of their membership in a game group message to iron things out

Offline Dead Zone

• FRS or lose your toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2017, 11:50:02 PM »
Date: 2017-11-28 20:32:52 UTC
I had previously stated that I was wanting to do a traditional style tournament for the JV but after participating in Rayman's tournament I see the advantages of doing a point system rewarding attacks, and also if you have a war winning attack it isn't the end of the tournament for an alliance, it encourages players to keep moving forward trying to outwit their opponents. I wanted to get your feedback please before I start working on the final rules. Some of you might wonder why you are included, it is because I value your feedback about the upcoming JV tournament with your game experience. I realize that some of you are not participating, but I would still appreciate your feedback.

T-wayne of HOD has given me some interesting thoughts about how to monitor p-mode (as this has been a problem with players excessively hiding out in pmode). For example I will have each alliance participating responsible for monitoring another alliance as these are the most likely to complain about p-markers. If a person is going to go in pmode it needs to be no longer than 10 consecutive hours in any given 24 hour period. If they come out of p-mode they need to be out of pmode for at least a few hours, no probing then going back into p-mode to prove you were out of p-mode. I understand real-life issues do happen. First violation of excessive pmode is a warning. 2nd is disqualification. (Unless we do the Rayman point system then it will be deduction of tournament points)

Second issue to address is the active alliance component: Each alliance needs to field a team of minimum 5 active players. I am not too concerned with how many your total alliance is (large or small) but there needs to be at least 5 players attackable, not in d-mode, vacation or suspended. I think I covered the p-mode issue above.

3rd issue: Rank caps: I will break players into hittable brackets. Players whose rank is lower (i.e. 500 rank) can attack players above them (i.e. rank 128) but players can not attack the lower brackets UNLESS they were first attacked by the smaller player (Please provide a screenshot to prevent any disputes about this)
****With the rank cap, I 100% do not want any players ranked 1-100 doing any group defends on any smaller players. You can send your membership res to reimburse them, but remember this is the JV tournament, the focus is on helping the smaller players get game experience and have fun doing PvP attacks. Ranks 1-100 will not do group attacks either. This is to encourage small players to get outside of their comfort zone. If the small players have to constantly worry that attacking someone in the system of a larger player will generate a Group Defend that discourages them so I am trying to eliminate that.

4th issue: There will be no res dropping from anyone on anyone that is not asked for. I should not have to elaborate this.

The spirit of this tournament is to have fun, have a decent target pool to be able to attack and help the smaller players get PvP attacks. I understand some alliances have players ranked less than others, when we have the final tally we will address this potential issue.

Tag-dropping: I personally feel anyone dropping their alliance tag should not continue forward, but T-wayne has mentioned there might be reasons (he has not clarified) why someone might do this. What are your thoughts?

***I need some feedback on this issue: Do we run this traditional tournament style or would we be willing to attempt to adapt the Rayman point system for the JV tournament? I personally like the way that system worked as it then enabled alliances to keep fighting trying to win instead of twiddling their thumbs waiting on the round to end. But in order to do that I need a consensus vote from the alliance leaders taking a team into the JV to implement this.******
Admiral T-wayne and Stina Starr are here to help admin this tournament with their previous experience, also Rayman is here as well. If you have any disputes please message one of them or myself, we will discuss the issue and issue a ruling.
If I have left anything out please let me know. I will address the war requests point values and who sends war requests to who later on. If you feel there is a rule from a previous tournament that should be applied please let me know. I don't go read all the previous tournament rules so if I have left something out that you feel will be advantageous to this tournament please let me know, otherwise I am not going to go read through all of them, that is a lot of information to process.

The official start time of the JV4 is 00:00 game time Monday, January 15, 2018.

Thanks
Jeff
aka Dead Zone

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2017, 03:43:00 AM »
Hi, gang,

Many of the likely participants in this tourney weren't active in the previous one.  I'm writing this note to provide a quick overview of how the previous tournament was scored.

We used a novel scoring system that rewarded risk-taking, minimized the value of attacks performed using overwhelming force, and favored offense over defense.  War-winning hits didn't matter during Round 1.  One of the participating alliances lobbied hard for points being awarded to war-winning hits, so Round 2 included such points.  I actually would have preferred that such hits had NOT been given extra value, because doing so tended to reduce the points advantage that offense had over defense.

Briefly:
To earn tourney points, a successful attack or defend had to earn at least 25K war points. That is, earn at least 25K DSPs, scoop 25M resources, or achieve some other combo of DSPs + res/1000 that exceeded 25K.

A successful attack earned variable points, based upon the ratio of attacking ships to the opponent's total fleet count.  Low-ratio attacks -- that is, few attackers employed, compared to potential defending ships -- earned up to 50 times more points than did attacks performed with an overwhelming number of ships.  Successful defends earned a tenth the max points that could be earned from a successful high-risk attack, so there was a lot of motivation to ATTACK.

Go here for the scoring system details:  http://forum.playstarfleet.com/index.php?topic=24600.msg284639#msg284639

Each round lasted 3 weeks, and it was fighting from start to finish.  Each alliance fought all the others at the same time.  This made for more targets, which is a good thing!  If a war between two alliances ended, the losing alliance issued a new DoW, and the fighting resumed. 

Each alliance had one running points total.  That is, all points earned against all the other alliances were added together.  So, no one could get a big lead and then "stop playing" (turtle), because the other alliances were still attacking each other and earning points.  Everyone had to stay engaged to the very end.

That's how the previous tourney was scored and run, in a nutshell.  I hope that the participants of the upcoming JV tourney will give this scoring system a try.  Like I said, the system encouraged offense, even risky offense, and this is a good thing.

Offline Rayman of HV

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2017, 02:20:42 PM »
T - That was a nice summary of the system.

Offline Dead Zone

• FRS or lose your toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2017, 08:29:26 AM »
Possible 2 entries, PUG and Blitz might enter, they are putting it in front of their membership and will let me know after the new year, also a possibility of another alliance as well

Offline Dead Zone

• FRS or lose your toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2017, 12:13:46 AM »
In place of Noise and Time wasters will be Legacy as those 2 alliances merged due to attrition of players

Offline Roznowsky

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2017, 01:54:51 AM »
I'm interested in being part of a team.