contact
October 21, 2018, 09:14:12 PM

Author Topic: A push to bring in more players back to universe 1  (Read 3950 times)

Offline Tal-Khoraash

• View Profile
Re: A push to bring in more players back to universe 1
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 07:59:41 AM »
To retain new players:

We as a community need to commit ourselves to reach out to new people we see in the game. Befriend them. Talk to them. Offer advice. Give gifts. Discipline and commit OURSELVES, the old hands who know what we are doing already, to NOT attack newbies under a certain RSP total, no matter what that is and what they do. A billion RSP? 5 billion RSP? More?

After all this time we have had playing, at our ranks even our smaller accounts would easily crush any new players with no effort.
So, whatever we decide on, we need to STICK to that. Probing of new players is, of course, not an attack (though we need to make sure we talk about that to them). Based on what is seen in the Espionage report advice can then be nicely offered, such as how to frs or where debris fields are they could use, whatever.

BFG could, if possible, raise the RSP Newbie protection from 250,000 RSP to 1,000,000 RSP.

Finally, while I suspect this is not workable, I remember a very cool aspect of Shadowrift Empires. Your own ships destroyed in battle could be salvaged with a Triton-like ship after the battle. At a special building you could build on your planet, with resources and time you could then have the functioning ships back. I don't remember if multiple building levels of that structure let you repair more ships at once, or what (if anything). But if that coding could be copied from the Shadowrift Empires game and incorporated into Starfleet Commander, with a lower Total Ship number cap, players new and old would have an alternative to quitting if their fleet has been wiped out, assuming they retain the salvage ship and that building.
'Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed.'
Sun Tzu - Art of War

First Rigellian of SFCO RgC
Rigellian Compact (RgC) - 7 years strong as of 12/12/2016!

Offline Tal-Khoraash

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 08:03:31 AM »
I welcome any suggestions, alterations, new ideas that anyone has to this. Any Flames of my ideas will, of course, be put out (hey, I just came through a major firestorm in real life. 2 weeks of hell. What do you expect? Hahaha)
'Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed.'
Sun Tzu - Art of War

Offline Tal-Khoraash

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2017, 09:01:25 AM »
One last thing I thought of, for Bringing In New Players.

Wasn't Starfleet Commander featured on TV on some gaming channel or other years ago? Search for that on YouTube (I will too), Like the episode, Comment on the episode, Share the episode. Both on YouTube and on Facebook.

The more those three things are done, the higher YouTube's software decides it is a popular video, and the more it is visible. It goes viral or whatever, so much the better. More exposure for SFC. Reach more people, more possible new players.
Sun Tzu - Art of War

Offline renykeny

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2017, 12:02:04 PM »
Should not be much more than first and last months rent so they can move out of their parents basement
suck it up monkey boy!

Offline renykeny

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2017, 12:07:57 PM »
 Seriously though ...people do remember that there is a heathy franchise out there...itís the one that bfg stole and copied from the original game...and they have never went the forcing everyone to buy credits route....unis are all balanced in resources...no npcs etc...and tons of players...
suck it up monkey boy!

Offline Topgun11

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2017, 05:54:44 AM »
The only thing that can jumpstart this game is to bring in more players. The only ones willing to play this game are already playing it. Desperate times require desperate action. Blue Frog should never have created multiple universes and the only way to correct that is to unify all of the universes back into one. I wouldn't mind bringing my other account over to Original universe as long as I can keep everything I have built. As it is now, I'm playing two dying universes. Might as well make it one healthy universe.

I have done the meshing Uni thing in other games and it sucks, it won't make the universes any more healthy and will almost certainly end the game within a couple of months of implementation. Active players is the problem, meshing Uni's together wont make players more active.

Offline Boris Alden

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2017, 03:42:53 PM »
Hi am #1 over here in SFCX Uni2 you cannot really address some reasons why people have left.  Some are pursued out of the game by getting constantly attacked.

The game being free to play actually costs a small fortune....  Yes I was better of back in the day what 6-7 years ago in Uni1 with a few million ships.

I think it costs me around 40k credits to harvest the DF from an NPC.  Now has the NPC won't logon asnd FRS that money is not wasted.

My hydro storage is currently level 74 and I sell hydro to friendly players this helps a bit with overall costs.

What has always thinned out the playerr base has always been the release of a new Uni and with one every 6 months I am surprised Uni 1 still has players.

I used to have an account in all Uni's but after 4 or 5 it's to mucvh work.

I am not sure how you can get platers back.

If an old players want to restart in SFCX Uni2 I'll send a gift pack.

Cheers

Boris
Boris Alden
tlhLngan qLj yo'

http://www.klingonblackfleet.co.uk

Offline Megatron

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2017, 07:32:21 PM »
What kills it is p mode meaning you cannot hunt fleetsaves now.
Then theres the fleets thats to big they disapear.
Npcs should be flush with res just for small players to rebuild. Top players should not get npcs and be forced to hunt live targets to earn their rank.
P mode should be got rid off.
Theres no real action any more hence boring. Just all talk and no action. May aswell join a forum of sommat you hate.

Offline __Zx_

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2017, 09:22:20 PM »
One thing to bring players in and back, If a new player starts, give them a starter pack examples below.

#1 Starter pack - Fleeter
3 plannets at random locations 1 with moon and 500 ships - Random techs ( 5 or 6 lvls of each) + recs

#2 Starter pack - Defencer 
5 plannets at random locations 0 with moon and 500 defence -Random techs ( 5 or 6 lvls of each) + recs

#3 Starter pack - Attacker
2 plannets at random 2 moons and 750 ships - Random techs ( 5 or 6 lvls of each) + recs

Worst case a new guy signs up and spawns this decides not to play and is then a target (i) for a new player

These are only examples not what I think it should be.........

I thinks this may give new people a chance to play the game and see what it could be about.

#myopinion
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 09:25:15 PM by __Zx_ »

Offline Megatron

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2017, 10:08:42 PM »
They have to be alot more than that pal. They need an instant massive jump. Gulfs way to big now for new players to start. They need to be instantly able to hit npcs

Offline Bodge

• View Profile
    • Bodgenet
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2017, 01:38:42 AM »
I have come back to the game, I will be staying this time in x3. If anyone else wants to join us let me know and we will help you build. Itís amazing how much I have done in 3 weeks. Eg. Foundry 14 on 8 planets. Come on over guys. Letís get some battles. They donít f/s here, we need to teach them to :)

Offline Dead Zone

• FRS or lose your toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2017, 05:24:41 AM »
I actually have a friend who just started this game, slowly building him up, crazy thing is he likes learning from ground up... Offered to find him a dormant account but he declined of all things, I'm impressed with that tactic but he says he learns best that way.

Offline Praetorian Hawke

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2017, 10:05:15 AM »
Hey all.  Talking about new players or getting old players to play more.  It's a few things.

Speaking for the middle ranks.  My highest rank was back, 2015  was around rank 410 I think.  I've fallen back to mid 700's now that I got a job I can't play at work so i'm D mode most of the time.  Due to fleet speed, I can't even really launch an attack at night anymore.  Used to be able to launch one or two per day after I got home.  Catch them before work and FRS for the day.  Can't even do that reliably anymore.

I'm not super high-rank and I'm not F'ing rich so I can't justify dropping $50+ per week (or more for some of you) on merchants.  Just can't.  I might be able to do $20 every other month.  Hell my Everquest account was only $20 per month and I got way more enjoyment out of it. 

The cost of Hydro and FRS time.  It costs too much hydro to do an out of system FRS or do much of anything once your fleet gets so big.  I also wish I could simply set a time for the FRS as opposed to using the built-in % they let us choose from.   This would allow me to determine when my fleet lands and not hope I don't set it wrong and have it land while I'm at work (no phone allowed at work).  Just have the hydro cost scale to the time you set. This would also spice up the PVP a bit as it would be harder to time attacks based on FRS schedule. This would help bring me out of D mode. 

It would be fun if they spiced it up with NPC's that would attack you.  Make you build up those world defenses. 

I like the idea of limiting fleet size.  This would help curtail the hydro costs and wouldn't only be reliant on a Zeus fleet.

Dmode saves my fleet.  But I can't get any hydro.  I've been relegated to picking up scraps from big hitters who leave DF's lying around.  Should let the mines produce at full level for D mode.  At level 33 a hydro mine is only doing about 6-7M per week tops anyway. 

NPC fleets must be more hydro friendly (I realize this isn't going to happen but it needs to).

Anyway, just my thoughts from a perennial D-moder.

Offline MT quadfire

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2018, 05:33:09 PM »
I like a lot of what Tal-Khoraash was saying.  You CANNOT get rid of 'd' mode here.  If so, then what 90% of the players would disappear.  I am a mostly 'd' player the last few  years.  Although I do actively play another universe with no 'd' mode.  Perhaps there could be some bonus or extra game feature for players that play other BFG games to be used in Original.  (shorter in and out of 'd' mode time {actually I don't like that idea}, the ship RE-builder scenario, some special in system NPC spawn thing, IDK.

I did like the idea of defendable special "NPC's", it would have to be a new race and clearly marked.

I do believe many of us would help new or returning players get going if we could connect. 
My problem is that all the Universes are 'funner' to play than this, the only reason I stayed here is this is the Original, and where I grew to like this game, a sense of Loyalty.  We know how slow it is to get going here.  With player friend help though, it can be done.  I would imagine we can still remember rebuilding new colonies from scratch with plenty of resources once we realized the importance of 300-320 field planets.
maybe another compression, or a one time period of free planet moves to let alliances to regroup again.  (silly, but throwing stuff out there)

Offline thomas riker

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2018, 03:07:47 PM »
Coming from extreme uni 1 where i started out i tried original and found it to be slow so i stuck to extreme i think your right about too many unis instead of creating new unis upgrade the existing ones ie original 1/extreme 1/conquest 1/ tournament 1 weve had a few newbies in extreme 1 turn up and my alliance has done what they can to help them getting started and answering any questions they have im the #2 player on x1 and lead the #1 alliance so the help is there just need the devs to think about repopulating the older unis

birthmark-ant