contact
February 22, 2018, 10:24:45 PM

Author Topic: Throwing down the gauntlet -- the race for No. 2  (Read 640 times)

Offline SilentBob

• View Profile
Re: Throwing down the gauntlet -- the race for No. 2
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 05:41:23 PM »
The magic number if SFC is 9223372036854775807. That's the max number you can have of something at each location. Go over, it vanishes. So, in theory you can have 9*9223372036854775807 missile banks but in practice you can build 9223372036854775807 at a time and your RSP and defense count keeps going up. You can do the same with ships apparently, hence some recent monster fleet numbers, but I'd rather put the res into the next hydro store.

In the case of the phantom missile banks each one is worth 3 points, 1 for weapons and 2 for RSP. An Art is worth 5 points, 4 from RSP and 1 from fleet count. Upping fleet and defence numbers by blowing through the max numbers does give more bang for the buck in terms of points on the leaderboard but investment in more Zeus instead whilst less productive on the fleet numbers is far more productive when it comes to generating DSP and res for building with. The Zeus route will beat the phantom route in the long term.

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 02:07:46 AM »
Hi, DZ,

Phantom units are ones which are built but never appear on the screen.

Each planet, moon, or Heph can base a maximum of 9.223 Qn (plus change) of each type of ship (and defenses, for planets and moons).  You will never see more than that number of Arties, Athenas, Proms, Missile Batteries, etc., on any celestial body.  This is due to a numeric limit of the game.

However, even if you have the max units of a given type on a planet (or moon), you can build more on that planet (or moon).  For example, if you have 9.223 Qn Missile Batteries on a planet, the game will happily let you queue up and build another 9.223 Qn...  and another 9.223 Qn... and another set, ad infinitum.  Those extra units go into the SFC numeric black hole, they will never appear on the screen.  However, the building player gets credit for the units and for the units' RSPs.

It's my personal opinion that this behavior is a bug.  I believe that if a ship or defensive unit can't be seen, it shouldn't be counted, and that the resources of a unit that can't be seen shouldn't be included in a player's RSPs.  Again, this is my opinion, others will disagree.  Either BFG disagrees with my opinion, or they don't care enough to fix this "feature" of the game.

The ability to create these phantom units is how some guys show multiple sextillion defenses and fleet units in their leader board tally.  It also is why their RSPs values are so inflated.  They are building units that never appear, and they are being credited for the units and the resources spent to build the units.

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 02:17:19 AM »
And, back to the purpose of this thread...

S-B currently is less than 60 sextillion DSPs behind Bruce, having closed the gap by another 9 sext points in about 3.5 days.  The overall gap is down to 48.41 sext points.

I will be shocked if S-B is able to pass Bruce for overall No. 2 during January.  Bruce has been working on his HS 76 for about six weeks longer than has S-B.  I keep looking for Bruce to pop his HS 76 "any day now" and add 150 sext points to his total.   But, if this doesn't happen in the next 20 days or so, we most likely will have a new No. 2 player for the first time in about 3 years.

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 06:40:59 AM »
Wow.  Three days since my previous post, and S-B has cut more than another 10 sext points off Bruce's lead.  The DSPs gap is down to 47.121 sext DSPs, and the overall gap is down to 35.94 sext points.  At this rate, we might have a new No. 2 in less than 2 weeks.

I keep expecting Bruce to pop his HS 76, widen the gap, and hold onto No. 2 until S-B gets his HS 76.

The rate of closure is astonishing to me. 

Offline Brer Rabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 07:45:02 PM »
In terms of fleet numbers, Bruce and a number of others are ahead of me.

In terms of DSP increases I'm putting on around double the amount Bruce is daily. I know he has a large combat fleet and had max numbers of most on his Hep - I don't. I believe I have approximately double the Zeus numbers Bruce has which is why I am catching him.

Shear fleet numbers are one thing, productive fleet numbers are another. If you are to build fleet, build useful fleet that helps you generate res instead of just wasting it. What ATW said about building your HS is very important too.

Actually, I am not doing that ... however it would make sense how Goat and John just blew by me. Bet they dont have close to the zeus i have

Also,i wasnt aware you could do that

My two pennies ;)

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 08:20:45 PM »
Whew!  The DSPs gap has dropped below 40 sextillion, at least momentarily -- 39.25 sextillion.  What we are seeing here reminds me of the time, about 4 years ago, when Bruce blew past me on the leader board.  This was back when Proms were still King vs. NPCs, and I was around Rank 8.  Bruce cruised by like I was stuck in mud.  We are seeing the same sort of thing here, with S-B playing the role of Bruce in that earlier chase-down.   

Offline Treakle the Sweet

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 10:29:40 PM »
This is a game of "adapt or be left behind".

Offline SilentBob

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 04:08:26 AM »
The fact that the current #3 guy is totally mad and running fleets pretty much 24/7 may be a factor..........

;)

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 09:13:46 PM »
I've been doing other things for the past few days, and until now failed to notice the following...

Overall gap is less than 10 sext points.  I continue to be surprised that
Bruce's HS 76 has not yet shown up.

The very important DSPs gap is down to about 21 sext points

We could have a new No. 2 in less than a week.

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 05:06:22 AM »
Can we say -- a new No. 2 in TWO DAYS???

Congrats to Silent-Bob for ascending to No. 2 in SFCO!

Well done, mate.

Now, to get that HS 76 upgrade completed, so that you can put a stranglehold on that spot!

Offline SilentBob

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 12:22:44 PM »
:)

I expect Bruce to complete his HS76 before me and take the #2 spot back. He's a good player and it's been damned hard work to catch him even if it's temporary.

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2018, 11:24:45 PM »
I've been away on personal business for a while, providing all you fine folks with what undoubtedly has been a welcome respite from my score-keeping posts.

Per my most recent previous post, all you readers understand that we have a new No. 2 player, Silent-Bob.  During the past 10 days, S-B has continued his manic pace of play, overtaking Bruce in DSPs as well as in RSPs.

I consider this last achievement -- becoming No. 2 in DSPs -- to be very significant.  Here is why.

At the top of the ladder, we squirrel away huge quantities of res, collecting for the next Hydro Storage unit upgrade.  So, total score doesn't necessarily tell the "full story", because a player can be just a few days away from finishing collecting the res for the next HS upgrade and suddenly gaining 75 sextillion+ game points.  So, RSPs (and total score) can jump in sudden leaps.

DSPs are a decent surrogate measure for assessing how two players stand vs each other in this res-collecting exercise.  If we assume that two players of about-equal size are hitting NPCs of similar composition, then each player's ratio of res gained per DSP gained will be about the same.  It is likely that the player with more DSPs gained will achieve a certain level of res collection before the other player will.

Because Bruce reached his HS 75 several weeks before did SB, and thus had a head start on collecting res for his HS 76, I had been thinking that Bruce would finish his HS 76 first, get that 151 sext bump in his total score, and hold on to No. 2 for a bit longer -- until SB finally finished his HS 76. 

I'm not so certain of that anymore.  I now think that SB has a very good chance of getting the HS 76 before Bruce.  In this case, SB will hold on to No. 2 -- until he passes me for No. 1!