contact
April 21, 2019, 11:00:15 PM

Author Topic: A Conversation With #2 Joshua Calvert  (Read 3338 times)

Offline Bizmuth Helm

• View Profile
Re: A Conversation With #2 Joshua Calvert
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 07:34:06 AM »
As far as rankings go 300 here doesnt mean what it does in orig. in fact a 2k inactive isnt worth farming as you could scarsely fill a single atlas...but yeah.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline AKA Morat

• No more Mr. Nice but argumentative guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 09:38:58 AM »
Quote from: "Wargasm"
Base, you can stop talking now.

Is that...surely not...it is, it IS! An arrogant an overbearing attitude. Well, hush my mouth.
That's sarcasm, BTW.

Nuking people for attacking you when you're online is gay.

Again <yawn>. I'm sure you would also describe my playing style as 'lame'. Think I've already covered that.

Yes, you can bunny-hop MACs. It'd be tedious, but if that's what floats your boat. Where do I give the impression I was doing that? I had 8 planets in 3 systems, all within a 4 system range, and all within 2 systems of JCs MAC. I showed activity on several if not all of my planets when I came online, including the target planets, and the planet he subsequently launched at. I did nothing whatsoever to hide my activity, and I wasn't hiding on a MAC. What would be the point? I'm not trying to ninja anyone. If I forget or screw up my FRS and get blown up, I'll call a waaaaaambulance. Funnily enough, JC did send 3 attacks at me the day before the OP (it wasn't really relevant to the OP and just made it longer), and I had a GD in place for 13 seconds before the last one would have hit. But he recalled, presumably either because I showed activity or the first attack netted nothing.

One of the most pathetic public showings of immaturity I've yet to see.

And again. Oh woe! Does it never end? So...I'm 'gay' and 'immature' and 'pathetic' as well as 'lame'? I know it's the internet, but please people, can't we have a little originality? Props for getting three cliches in one post, though.

You're completely missing the point, or at the least completely ignoring it. As I've said, my objective in the game is modifying the behavior of players who bully. I don't care about JCs attack, not a problem, go ahead. I don't care about some of the other people who've attacked me, and I don't look down on them. They saw an easy hit and took it, fine. What I do care about A LOT is the attitude of some players.  The OP was to illustrate that that behavior and attitude isn't restricted to n00bs, and most of the replies show that it's a prevalent attitude among high-ranked, long-term players. As I said before, again, if he'd been ranked #1500 (or even #500) I'd have ignored it. The only reason this post exists is the JCs rank. Sure, it's early days, but JC isn't #1 by chance. He's put a lot of time and effort into getting to that position, so I think it'd be safe to assume he cares about his ranking.

I find all the talk of courtesy utterly laughable. JC said he would make me a preferred target because I didn't tell him I was online, and most of the repliers have said they would make a point of targeting someone who didn't tell them they were online. Where's the courtesy in that? Yet, if I reply in the only way available to me (nukes) I'm accused of being a bully. It makes me smile the bittersweet smile of one who already knows the flaming he'll get for saying that.

Look at the thread, currently next to this one, about what buddy status means. There isn't any kind of consensus about what at first glance seems an obvious thing - You're my buddy, I don't attack you. Everyone has their own version of what it means to be a buddy. And you lot expect me to believe that everyone agrees that it's bad form not to notify an attacker that you're online? No, it's just the small, vocal group on the boards, who attack and denigrate anyone who disagrees with them. Or is that a lame, immature and gay thing to say, too?

Everyone agrees that 'lame' and 'immature' are words they can't resist, and that's about the only thing they agree on.

Quote from: "Sid82"
You say that like there is a huge difference between a rank #2 and a rank #227...I might understand your thoughts on that if you were say ranked 20k and he was ranked 2 but yeah.

It seems a pretty huge difference to me. JC attacked me with 220 Athenas and I hadn't yet unlocked warp, and he had a couple of hundred Hades on his MAC as well. He has mines in the high 20s, and I'm just out of the teens, at least one Foundry 2 and I had none... In SFCO the difference between #1 and #220 is so big as to be all but unbridgeable. I've seen top 25 Hephs with fleets the size of my entire alliance (which has several players in the top 500).

It's not so dramatic here as the Uni is newer, but it's still very significant now and will compound over time as the higher mine production kicks in more at higher levels.

Let me reiterate here for the benefit of those that don't read the whole thread, and as this thread seems done for the moment, the whole point of the post was to illustrate behavior that I find annoying in low ranked players, and contemptible in high ranked players. It's not a personal attack on JC per se, he was just unlucky enough to give me the opportunity to raise the subject, it was to open for discussion an elitist attitude that damages the game and other players experience of both it and these boards. I had a pretty good idea before I posted what the first half-dozen replies would be like, and I certainly wasn't disappointed.

andy nard1

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2011, 03:39:39 PM »
Please stop posting on this thread you are keeping something alive just for the pleasure of The Base.
He does not listen, he does not read and he does not understand...all post (or most) on this thread are against him...and he still thinks to be right..we are a bunch of bully, idiots and anything you want to call us...our only mistake is to be on the top of the leader boards...
I will not post anything here and I wish everybody will do the same.

Offline Admiral Robodo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 04:24:40 PM »
RE: Last minute FRSing.... I can personally recall at least 4 seperate occasions where my target tried 2 last minute frs and lost everything because their internet went down or they mistimed it due 2 lag..  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

point being that (personal reasons aside) it is a very poor tactic & not worth the risk imo... unless of course u dont care about losing ur fleet... that being the case then by all means please continue coz sooner or later u will cock up... then it's bye bye fleet & thank you very much 4 the freebie! chching!!  :lol:
Joined SFC: Oct 2009
Original Uni: Semi-retired.
Extreme: Retired.
Uni2: Retired.
Nova: Active

Offline AKA Morat

• No more Mr. Nice but argumentative guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 01:16:06 AM »
Oh, andy, sweetie, I AM listening, reading and understanding. It's just that all I hear are abuse and threats.

And right? Right about what? That some high-ranked players are rude, arrogant and abusive? You've proved that with your own words. I'm not making a point about anything except the miserable attitude some high-ranked players have.

Quote from: "Admiral Robodo"
RE: Last minute FRSing

Technically it wasn't last second FRS. I wouldn't leave it that late for the reasons you describe.

Offline Bizmuth Helm

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 05:49:55 AM »
Ok once I encountered a player who "Never recalls an attack", and since his fleet was 10 times what mine was...or was it 100 times, at any rate, he said "I have already spent the hydro I just take my chances" we messaged back and forth for a half hour. The problem was I needed to go to bed and I had to wait around for an hour and a half till he could hit my defences take no losses and get no resources, well very little as I turned off my mines, but didnt stick around with my fleet to scoop the base production, so I could turn my mines back on fleetsave and go to bed. This went on for several nights. Now If I have a reason to wish for the attack not to land, sats generally, I will tell the attacker i'm online. but if I have no sats and I'm not in any hurry. I make the enemy pay for attacking me in not only hydro which they can make more of, but in time which they cant. for every minuite I wait it costs the attacker two. Time to me is one of the most precious commodities in this game and when I cannot inflict damage on an attacker any other way with time will he pay. I am not going to lay down and just take it. The british were very put off with the Revolutionary armys tendancy to shoot the officers which was concidered bad form. only the "troops" were to be subjected to such treatment. Our responce was and is "Tough noogies".

Offline Elvis Perlsly

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 03:50:48 PM »
sounds like he you might have given him TMI, if he knows you are trying to fleet save and go to bed, he's hoping you'll just fall asleep and get killed.
Extreme 2: Evil Spock Elvis (UFP officer) current rank: 139 dsp:54
Moons Given: 10
Moons Owned: 7
Rage quits: 1
Is better to live one day as a lion, than a hundred as a sheep.

Offline The Marmot

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 09:31:04 PM »
I find it funny that the #2 guy is acting like this guy somehow managed to sneak his way onto his buddy list without his knowledge.  I mean I don't play anymore but I'm pretty sure you had to accept a buddy request back in the day.  And then to act offended that he managed to infiltrate his buddy list...that's gold, Jerry! Gold!

Justin Coles 928543

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 04:27:11 AM »
ND THIS IS WHY you dont be an asshat and FRS last second, or try and FRS around an incoming attack...

a good attacker will take a slight chance on the length of your FRS, and screw you over.....

The attacking side failed to acquire any resources.

1,260,000 ore and 720,000 crystal are now floating at this location.
There was a 13.2% chance that a moon would form from the debris.
However, no moon formed.

PhoenixIce    Nice work!    
To: Drunken_Rage
Wasn't expecting the slow probe! Knew I should have FRS'd for longer! ;)

Back to square 1... again! :(

personaly, my reponse was simple, if you had simply messaged me you would not have lost your fleet

Offline Bizmuth Helm

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2011, 01:09:27 AM »
Screwing up a last minute fleetsave is a chance you take if that is your chosen style of play. I have lost a few this way, I'm not afraid to admit, but I learned something that I didnt know each time. For example once the attacker probed for some reason 25 min before the attack hit so I jumped in and shut down my mines prepared my fleetpage so all I had to do was click dispatch and I would be done. Then I watched and waited from another tab opened from another planet. when I saw his slow probe comming I had to keep clicking back and forth between the two tabs since the origional tab didnt show the slowing. It seems that when I hit the last "max" button next to the atlases I had, I didnt click anywhere else. and since I use my mouse wheel to scroll up and down the page, this small problem happened. If your mouse pointer happens to be hovering over a "field" that is still "blue" as when it wants you to specify a perhaps different number, and you roll the mouse wheel it changes the number in the field accordingly. I didnt notice this and when I launched (after his last probe hit some 40 seconds before the attack) there was a long pause but the page finally loaded with 20 seconds to spare, all good I thought but then this was what was written in red at the top "Unable to launch. You dont have that many atlases." Say what?! all I did was click max how could this happen? Investigating this phenomenon has led me to take greater care to click to the side to release "blue fields" before I scroll the page. Something I did not even think about previous.

andy nard1

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2011, 02:30:20 PM »
Would have been easier to message the attacker..hey I am here...check again..fleet is no there...
 I could have ninjad two or three times from my heph I an elected to move it because I did not want to relay on the Internet.....
We are still talking about the best way to last second jump an attack...for no profit..while I refuse to take a chance for a huge profit,,,I cannot make sense of it

Offline Hamrock

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2011, 04:30:45 PM »
I think it is a good habit, if you are online, see an incoming attack, and can do nothing about it but fleet save, to tell the person that is attacking you that you are online and will save. That is the way I play and I appreciate when others do that also. Now if you want to get smart about it and recall at the last second, I get frustrated at that. Wasting both of our times. That is my opinion.

Offline Aberrant72

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2011, 07:48:34 AM »
Hehehe.. I am up in the air as I have done both tactics  (ie Last minute FRS and send out a probe to let them know I am home) and it is dependent on the situation. I have to say as of late I send a probe or a hey there, how ever I know many players that simply let it ride no matter what as the hydro is spent so why not! people that do that tend to slow probe anyhow to spot a GDF, however dependent on techs are at risk for a potential Boomer.

Back to my point, this game is based on time and it takes enough time to plan and execute any attack that goes out, how ever being on the receiving end of the attack, when you FRS the last minute enough times they eventually loose interest, and move on to someone who is easier. I hate wasting my time as well but it is a valid deterrent. You just have to be that active player. Like I said previous I have been known to do either but it is dependent on the situation.

I had a 100 rank player probe me, and I probed him back on his moon and his planet, so he oracle locked my 16 hercs and smashed them. LOL He actually locked to the exact time so I sent him a note, that he should slow probe just in case by 1-2 seconds to make sure the servers are able to time the hit properly. Keep in mind I am ranked 1.7K. So here is a player who knew I was on, and I probed him but due to his rank and FAT HEAD, wanted to prove something to me because I probed him back. Meh, 16 hercs was not a big deal, but I can see where some people can let the game get away with them. I have been caught up that situation myself. As for X2 I play for fun, I am way to busy in uni2 to afford more than that..

Cheers all..

Abe
MEAN -adjective,-er,-est.Offensive,Selfish, or unaccommodating; nasty; malicious: OLD-adjective, older, oldest or elder,eldest, far advanced in the years of one's or its life,BASTARD bastard Slang,a vicious,despicable,or thoroughly disliked person

Offline renykeny

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2011, 12:55:03 AM »
this guy never messages...just frs stuff at last second...goodbye al!!!
In the attack from come to daddy! [] on A1 []:

The attacking side acquired 2,281,750 ore, 1,195,117 crystal, and 1,048,183 hydrogen.

4,932,300 ore and 3,119,250 crystal are now floating at this location.
There was a 20.0% chance that a moon would form from the debris.
However, no moon formed.

rofl!!!
suck it up monkey boy!

Offline Boris Alden

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2011, 12:01:43 AM »
It begs belief that people are still sticking around upsetting other players with the smart arse last second FRS and the pointless nukes....

What is the point of someone with less income nuking a top 50 player....

There is a certain etiquette here and the better players will probe back and message to get the point across and an atack is normally recalled.

Don't expect a message from me when I'm doing 90 MPH - but I can still probe you back if you attack me and FRs if required....

I can't even think why this guy posted this - surely he can claerly see no one takes his point of view.
Boris Alden
tlhLngan qLj yo'

http://www.klingonblackfleet.co.uk