contact
September 22, 2019, 02:08:28 AM

Poll

Does you think there are parameters to a moon-decision that haven't been made public?

Yes. The percentages as displayed are not accurate.
4 (16%)
No. They seem pretty much accurate to me.
12 (48%)
Yes. That's it. Just... Yes.
0 (0%)
No. That's it... Just... No.
2 (8%)
Get a towel with the rest of us that have our feelings hurt!
0 (0%)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
7 (28%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: October 17, 2011, 05:19:32 PM

Author Topic: Moon Shot? Yeah. Right.  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Charles M. Thompson

• Original Uni... WAS the best.
    • View Profile
Moon Shot? Yeah. Right.
« on: October 17, 2011, 05:14:58 PM »
This was the 7th shot at a moon on this planet. It follows 6 shots at 20%. Does anyone else think the probability of a moon as displayed in the estimate may be a little sKewed? There MUST be some parameters to moon-decisions that haven't been made public! HAHAHAHA! Just sayin'...

Yeah. I know. Anyone got a hanky?  :cry:
[attachment=0:1grfyrd5]CantBelieveNoMoon1.jpg.jpg[/attachment:1grfyrd5]
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »

Ali Baba

Re: Moon Shot? Yeah. Right.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 05:34:39 PM »
Aren't you a dick!  

In moon shots term's More is less and less is more. 125 arts a shot no less no more.

Offline the enforcer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 06:00:18 PM »
9 athena works too, they do less damage ends round 1 so you can do as many shots as you can in a row.

i remember the day i had 92 waves of 9 athena incoming. got 6 moons that day.

Offline Whisky12345

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 06:54:16 PM »
Probability of a moon forming after 6 x 20% shots = 73.79% (lets call it 75%)

So, for every forty people who attempt this, ten are going to be in the same boat as you... No moon...

After that, those 10 people all attempt a 40% moonshot... So 4 of the ten get moons

That leaves approximately 6 people, out of a total of forty in exactly the same situation...

There's approximately a 15% chance of you being in the situation you've found yourself in...

It's unlucky, but not _that_ unlucky that I'd start doubting the maths...

And lets face it, we generally get the people posting to this forum because they're unlucky, it's rare we get people crowing about getting a moon on their first 20% shot... So the sample population you'd get from reading this forum is slightly skewed.

Offline Phil Sutherland

• View Profile
    • http://www.example.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 07:41:39 PM »
def moon_chance(debris)
bb@debris = debris
bb@percent = @debris/150,000
bbif @percent > 20
bbbb@percent = 20
bbend
bb@chance = rad(99) +1
bbif @chance <= @percent
bbbbcurrent_planet.update_attribute(:moon, true)
bbbb@message = "no moon formed"
bbelse
bbbb@message = "A new moon formed"
bbend
end
[/b] [/b][/b] [/b] [size=150]#26

Offline Jedi C

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 08:16:48 PM »
I dont buy it as a moon shot. No one could be that stupid.

20% is the highest chance you get unless you have the Lunar Architect (as you do) that will max you at 40%.

I want to see the returned moon shot on this one, or are you just upset you got caught with your pants down and still did not get a moon?

Quote from: "Charles M. Thompson"
This was the 7th shot at a moon on this planet. It follows 6 shots at 20%. Does anyone else think the probability of a moon as displayed in the estimate may be a little sKewed? There MUST be some parameters to moon-decisions that haven't been made public! HAHAHAHA! Just sayin'...

:o Nope states its a moon shot. And to lose that much in Original for a "moon Shot" is outrageous.  :roll:
I dont have a hanky but I can get you some med's for being crazy  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Jedi C

Extreme = Unity
Extreme 2 = AA Hamster

Offline cupAsoup

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 08:56:32 PM »
How about, has anyone ever wondered why floating debris would form into a celestial body? Or am I the only one who finds that strange....
Delicious and nutritious, Blueberry oatmeal. Antioxidants and Fiber are good for your fleet!

Offline Ahab

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 10:01:01 PM »
It nothing but chance. As stated by BFG

Here are a few examples of my moon making experiences:

-I have had 2 moons made in less than 20 1% artie shots. returned 1 in around 100, the second in around 300.
-My buddy and i purchased a moon architect and gave each other a moon in a single 2500 artie shot=40%
-I set up a new colony and wanted a moon fast. After a positive first experience i employed another architect. I then put 2500 arties in orbit and a buddy made them go boom. The moon formed after 10 attempts. That's 25,000 arties at a cost of 100mil res.
-My last was made on the 10th 8% shot of 500 arties with an architect and i gave one back in 8.

After reading the posts on this thread i will be trying 1% athena shots. It looks to be the most effective method for fast moon manufacture by far.

I have passed a planet many times that is named `cant buy a moon!!!`  :)

Offline lazoputz

• we shall never surrender. Winston Churchill
    • Skype - lazoputz1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 11:18:01 PM »
One this moon shot thing, wouldnt the 6 hit a day max apply ? How did the one poster have like 92 incomings, unless they were from a bunch of different players?

Offline the enforcer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 11:19:59 PM »
if the battle does not go past the first round it doesn't count towards the bashing rule.

Offline lazoputz

• we shall never surrender. Winston Churchill
    • Skype - lazoputz1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 11:25:22 PM »
Quote from: "the enforcer"
if the battle does not go past the first round it doesn't count towards the bashing rule.

Ahhhh, I see, thanx for that, Im still lacking a couple moons and that is helpfull

Offline SGS 6

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 03:03:17 AM »

[attachment=0:1m2iy4cf]CantBelieveNoMoon1.jpg.jpg[/attachment:1m2iy4cf]

Having an architect hired will double the moon chance. This allows it to exceed the 20.0% cap (to 40.0%), which appears to be the case here.

As previously posted, the quantity of ships and debris involved here is FAR beyond the cap; cap is at 10 million in ship-cost and generates 3 million total debris.

In short - nothing secret happened. The only difference from the 20% attempts is the planet owner hiring the architect.
Uni 1: retired, formerly Silver Gate Squadron
Uni 2: Sheridan Starkiller, Leader of the Shadows (Shadows)
http://http://wiki.playstarfleet.com/index.php/Shadows_(Shadows)

Offline Charles M. Thompson

• Original Uni... WAS the best.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 03:18:47 AM »
Quote from: "Jedi C"
I dont buy it as a moon shot. No one could be that stupid.

20% is the highest chance you get unless you have the Lunar Architect (as you do) that will max you at 40%.

I want to see the returned moon shot on this one, or are you just upset you got caught with your pants down and still did not get a moon?

:o Nope states its a moon shot. And to lose that much in Original for a "moon Shot" is outrageous.  :roll:
I dont have a hanky but I can get you some med's for being crazy  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! No, I didn't leave it set and beg someone to take the shot,  :lol: ! I was locked on to on a return from an attack by an alliance I'll probably have to join just so's I can get by their moons! HAHAHAHAHAHA! And the other 6 times were the same way, lol. Sometimes I just need a fresh screen-shot to look at. And every time I find a nestle of ships worth gettin? Someone gets there 10 minutes before I do, lol. So these will have to due, lol.

But that is the seventh time I haven't minded getting into a scrape. I was probed before the point of no return. I was just in the mood for a blast-fest... But come on! SEVEN times and no moon? HAHAHAHAH! That's just... [partial word banned due to intended profanity][word banned due to profanity][word banned due to profanity]!!!!  :lol:

Offline Aaria.moon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 05:07:22 AM »
80 percent chance of no moon forming to the 6th power times 60 percent chance of no moon forming. About 16% chance of no moon forming.
HONEYBEE MALES: DURING COPULATION THEIR BODY EXPLODES APART LIKE GRENADE; GENITALIA HAS HOOKS AND SPINES AND IT WEDGES INTO FEMALE AND SEALS HER OPENING.

Offline Phil Sutherland

• View Profile
    • http://www.example.com/
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 07:37:59 PM »
Quote from: "Aaria.moon"
80 percent chance of no moon forming to the 6th power times 60 percent chance of no moon forming. About 16% chance of no moon forming.
It was a 40% shot, not a 20%
[/b] [/b][/b] [/b] [size=150]#26