contact
June 24, 2019, 03:58:53 PM

Author Topic: Wanted - Boomerang Calculator For Uni 3  (Read 2211 times)

Offline JohnJupp

• View Profile
Wanted - Boomerang Calculator For Uni 3
« on: April 06, 2014, 07:13:16 AM »
Now that the  game has gone back to it's original roots with a handful of extra ships etc, has anyone got a working version of a Boomerang Calculator that is compatible with Uni 3?  In the days before moons, they were invaluable for boomerangs and ninja's and raised the game to another level.
Quote from: \"Butcher\"
John.. What to say? If there is such thing as a classy hunter, he´s your guy. Thanks for all the fun, buddy.
Quote from: \"Morat\"
What with this and your previous post, you do know you\'re a raving nutjob, right?
First To Break Starfleet Commander Nova - I Claim It

Offline Callum Roberts

• View Profile
Re: Wanted - Boomerang Calculator For Uni 3
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 08:38:20 PM »
ah the days of the Boomerang calcs. I will have to get back into writing software for the new unis.
Every good player knows
No fleetsave=No fleet

kru

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 08:55:40 PM »
see....all the whinning for a throwback universe and people are already asking for tools/scripts/calcs to be re-written and/or released to enable them to do exactly what a moon/oracle allows.

just goes to show that in all the years of these games there was never any skill, just tools

Offline gmfeier

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 09:22:09 PM »
see....all the whinning for a throwback universe and people are already asking for tools/scripts/calcs to be re-written and/or released to enable them to do exactly what a moon/oracle allows.

just goes to show that in all the years of these games there was never any skill, just tools

I disagree. The most critical skill in all the unis is logistics and there is no tool for that.

Offline Deeds

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 09:45:45 PM »
only script that i ever have and ever will use is the esp parser(: that and battlementat if it counts as one:P
MunchMunchMunchMunchMunch

Offline Callum Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 10:03:03 PM »
actually back in the early days a lot of us used to do boomerang calcs by hand and so the software just saves time.
Every good player knows
No fleetsave=No fleet

Offline JohnJupp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 03:10:45 AM »
actually back in the early days a lot of us used to do boomerang calcs by hand and so the software just saves time.

Yep.  By hand was good.  Then came an online calc which was inaccurate to say the least.  It was fun working out that your ships were a few seconds faster or slower and the hardest boomerangs were when you were slower and calced a launch time +- a few seconds anticipating the attacker might probe or if they were lazy let it run just before the hit, enabling you to arrive when they returned just a few seconds before your boomerang.  Of course you didn't get the d/f but it was fun seeing them scramble for a GD.  It got really interesting if they sacrificed the returning fleet only to then try a boomerang on your returning boomerang and you had to scramble for a GD instead.  It was more skill than a lot of people realised.

.............Then there were the blind ninja's, using an estimated f/s return time based on observing when the target would f/s after many days of study and the accusations that would fly that somehow you cheated/used witchcraft/hacked their pc/bribed BFG for the algorythm.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 03:14:09 AM by JohnJupp »
John.. What to say? If there is such thing as a classy hunter, he´s your guy. Thanks for all the fun, buddy.
What with this and your previous post, you do know you\'re a raving nutjob, right?

Offline Tal-Khoraash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 04:14:15 AM »
Hey! I was always quiet about using witchcraft, how did you figure that out when all those victi.. er other players never did?
'Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed.'
Sun Tzu - Art of War

9 straight years of playing in Original with no break, fin!

Former First Rigellian of SFCO RgC
Rigellian Compact (RgC)

Offline JohnJupp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 08:40:23 AM »
Hey! I was always quiet about using witchcraft, how did you figure that out when all those victi.. er other players never did?

I think it was when someone in a parcel delivery scam got a bag of chicken bones sent to me via courier and an inscription in an ancient tongue.

Offline Stefen Reincarnate

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 01:20:49 PM »
Don't you love when people that aren't playing feel the need to comment on every post...personally gets kinda old having to read all the negativity.
If you play a uni, post in that uni, feel free.....if you don't, we really don't care about your opinion..

Why does BFG allow 5 or 6 very opinionated and nasty people to drive everyone else away from this forum.....fully expect to get lambasted by those 5 or 6 people, but I know I speak for many...will you please annoy only those people that have to play with you, and leave the rest of us free of your above average ego.
I was so proud of Matt the other day for finally losing his temper and lett'n one of them have it....wish he would ban the whole bunch from posting or give them their own private forum so they can go in circles calling each other names and offering their words of wisdom so the rest of us would feel free to use this as it was intended....a friendly place to discuss a game we enjoy playing, a company we think highly of and financially support, and a place to share ideas and discuss strategy....

OK, professional commentators....pick me apart and call me names....don't really care...I see your name, usually don't even read what you have to say

kru

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 01:49:30 PM »
firstly, there is NO rule about who can post and where...

secondly, you don't have to play in a universe to cvomment on its topic.

lastly, so long as a comment posted is on topic to the thread then whats your beef????

all of you digress, you all wanted a throwback to original universe and already there are upteen requests being made, both publicly and privatly to request certian 'tools' and 'scripts' to do all the hardwork for them...

How is that a throwback universe?  Sounds to me, and in fact MANY MANY others (probably more than you claim moan about the vocals) that your tired of playing universe's an even keels with other players, so now you want the advantage.

Now, in regards to what unis i play (actively or passively) i'll leave that for you to find out.  Either way, as a registered forum user, i have the right (as defined by bfg) to post in any topic i wish to, so long as it abides by the forums rules and it is not for people like you pretending to be the forum police to dictate who should be posting and where.

Offline Trump

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 04:01:42 PM »
hmmm not sure KRU but I do think there is an arrest warrant out for Kru Kiew... is that you? :p

Offline arbitraryfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 05:46:14 PM »
This is a game board. Sad why some idiots feel the need to spoil it for the rest of us. Please keep your ego jousting to pms so the rest of us can talk about the game.
Competing in conquest is like competing in the special Olympics. Even if you win...

kru

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 05:54:37 PM »
actually, my personal beliefe is that all bots, scripts and mods including open parser should be removed from all the games as they diminsih a lot of your babble of a throwback universe.

But of course, 9 out of 10 players wouldn't last more than 4 weeks like that.

However, i forgot that BFG must have died and made you the forum nazi, so STFU...i am entitled to my opinion, and my opinion is that you all cried out for, and were jubilant when a throwback universe was created.....now of course you want tools to do the work of other mechanics which were removed....

Yet you want to believe it enhances your ability, it actually just shows you have no funing ability needing to request tools be created so you can still play a game the way you became acustomed to

Offline JohnJupp

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 07:35:46 PM »
Hey..........all I want is a poxy Excel file, not the crown jewels of all singing and dancing online scripts.  I want to have to do the calculations and the timings.  As soon as the game launched, an Excel file with the bare bones to calculate a launch time to follow an attacking fleet against me back to the originating planet was available.  All I want is what came out then.   That was more than half the game for a hunter, play dead quiet and then boom!  Launching an attack on an attacker is hard and requires skill to get the timing right.  A simple Excel file works the same way a slide rule did during WWII for a navigator.