contact
August 22, 2019, 11:31:47 AM

Author Topic: Strategy Guide  (Read 45065 times)

Offline Fpoole

• View Profile
Re: Strategy Guide
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2009, 07:05:54 PM »
Aomega, I guess it's my newness to the game that causes my confusion. "Protecting resources" in my mind, means protecting your home planet. But it seems that for this game, protecting your fleet is the main point? Maybe as I play longer I'll get a better feel for what happens in attacks.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline Tauri

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2009, 07:34:39 PM »
Quote from: "Fpoole"
I just sent my fleet out to the largest numbered planet in my home system. On a cargo mission with no cargo. At 10 percent speed. This is my attempt at "Fleet Save" a concept that makes very little sense to me. Don't you want your fleet to defend your home planet if attacked? What happens to your mines, etc. when attacked if the fleet's away? I guess it makes sense to save the fleet, but if your other stuff is going to get pummeled, you're still kind of screwed, right?

Nope... your infrastructure on your planet (mines, shipyard, factories, etc) are invincible.  The top 5 fleets combined can come knocking on your door and do nothing if you properly resource/fleet save.  It does seem backwards, but with your home world and colonies (minus defenses and solar satellites) completely invincible, it doesn't make too much sense to protect them.

If you've got an attack coming at you, you've get plenty of time to stop resource production, load up all of your resources into your ships and send them for a slow trip around the sun.  Ships cost resources to build and to deploy and give resources on destruction.  If there's nothing there for the attacking fleet to collect they won't bother to continue the attack.

Simple as that.

[edit]added in solar satellites, but wish they were invincible too  :) [/edit]

Offline Novo

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2009, 11:03:03 PM »
Aomega, I guess it's my newness to the game that causes my confusion. "Protecting resources" in my mind, means protecting your home planet. But it seems that for this game, protecting your fleet is the main point? Maybe as I play longer I'll get a better feel for what happens in attacks.

It seems like a game tailor-made for alliances, really, because as you advance the only time you'll ever use your fleet is on a joint raid of some kind.

Well, aside from picking on IN's at the beginning, but that's about it.

Offline Pseudocyber

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2009, 02:32:07 PM »
Not necessarily - I us my fleet to attack weaker fleets with resources on their planets.  Here's last nights - I have another one out right now.

Attacker
VS
Defender

The attacking side acquired 226728 ore, 63899 crystal, and 16658 hydrogen.

Some of the enemy's defenses were rebuilt.
There now float 617250 ore and 317400 crystal around this planet.

123 Atlas, 177 Artie, 50 Appollo, 33 Posieden, 17 Athena, 14 Hades

vs.

18 Probes, 29 Atlas, 39 Arties, 30 Appollos, 14 Hercs, 8 Dios, 11 Posidens, 14 Athenas, 4 Hades, 4 Ares

I lost 3 Posi, 12 Appollo, 58 Arties, 45 Atlas.

He's been fleetsaving at the last minute, so it was hard to pin him down - but worth it, just to win. :)

Offline Stav

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2009, 12:59:06 PM »
Quote from: "Tauri"
I just sent my fleet out to the largest numbered planet in my home system. On a cargo mission with no cargo. At 10 percent speed. This is my attempt at "Fleet Save" a concept that makes very little sense to me. Don't you want your fleet to defend your home planet if attacked? What happens to your mines, etc. when attacked if the fleet's away? I guess it makes sense to save the fleet, but if your other stuff is going to get pummeled, you're still kind of screwed, right?

Nope... your infrastructure on your planet (mines, shipyard, factories, etc) are invincible.  The top 5 fleets combined can come knocking on your door and do nothing if you properly resource/fleet save.  It does seem backwards, but with your home world and colonies (minus defenses and solar satellites) completely invincible, it doesn't make too much sense to protect them.

If you've got an attack coming at you, you've get plenty of time to stop resource production, load up all of your resources into your ships and send them for a slow trip around the sun.  Ships cost resources to build and to deploy and give resources on destruction.  If there's nothing there for the attacking fleet to collect they won't bother to continue the attack.

Simple as that.[/edit]

This is in fact how the game works.  It doesn't make sense to many/most people as a "real life" model (myself included), but it has its defenders.  You have to suspend disbelief, and play by the rules of running around all the time, trying to avoid getting smashed by someone bigger than you.  Don't think of it as straight-out line-'em-up-and-duke-it-out warfare.  It's more like you are hiding in a cave in Afghanistan, on the run, hoping the bigger superpowers don't find you at home with their Predator drone strikes.  That's how they set up the game.  They don't seem interested changing this major part of the strategy flowchart.  It's your call whether this sounds like fun to you.

Offline Akkarin

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2009, 01:34:25 PM »
Quote from: "Stav"
They don't seem interested changing this major part of the strategy flowchart.  It's your call whether this sounds like fun to you.

How long do you think you would last if they changed the rules ?

The whole point is that if you have a good foundation then even if you are wiped out you can rebuild a fleet quite quickly.

Do you really think a couple of soldiers would link arms and try and stop a tank ?

I don't get why everyone runs down the game yet logs in here and still plays ... if you don't like it you don't have to play.

So work within the limitations and make the game work for you.  

Sooner or later we all make a mistake and the thrill of the hunt makes the hit even better.

Offline Fpoole

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2009, 05:23:49 PM »
Thanks for the responses, the info does help. I'm still playing the game but question whether I'll have time/interest in the long run. We'll see.

One person mentioned "picking on INs." The legend lists these as "too low for you to attack." Is it possible to attack in-s?

Thanks again for the discussion.

Offline Pout

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2009, 05:25:29 PM »
Yes.  You can attack anyone that is inactive (i or I)

Offline dbmoreland

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2009, 01:49:08 AM »
Quote from: "Pout"
(in) means inactive AND new (<100 points).
While you can attack an inactive you cannot attack a newbie.
So the question is which takes precidence, i.e. can you attack an inactive newbie?

Offline Orz

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2009, 02:15:38 AM »
Quote from: "dbmoreland"
(in) means inactive AND new (<100 points).
While you can attack an inactive you cannot attack a newbie.
So the question is which takes precidence, i.e. can you attack an inactive newbie?

Quote from: "Pout"

Offline goonburghandy

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2009, 09:01:03 PM »
Yes you can attack an inactive newbie, and as a newb myself I recommend it, I am looking for (in) people often to plunder them and upgrade my fleet (working on my Poseidons now). Just remember that a lot of the in-actives I see are ranked around the 100,000k area, and most of them do not have any established mines.
This is my beer. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

I miss good sci-fi TV shows with epic space battles (Babylon 5, Battlstar), why won\'t they come back?...

Offline Gregor Frolov

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2009, 05:55:05 PM »
If the buildings weren't indestructible, then there would be a huge point in defending your base.  The way it seems to me, however, it's all about money-grabbing from whomever you can as often as you can and the real strategy comes in timing your attack fleets to engage a poorly-coordinated defender and grab some phat lutz from debris collection.  As it is the game is fairly fun to me right now (after about 2 days playing).  I wouldn't mind the change to make your buildings to be vulnerable at some point in the future, though ... Yes, the paradigm shift would cause a lot of complaints but you'd probably see a whole lot more action that way.
There may be no "I" in "team," but there is a "we" in "weapon."

Offline Dzyu

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2009, 09:34:56 AM »
Sure, but you would also see alot more player migration... There are dozens of games like that on the web. Maybe dip mode and indestructible buildings is what makes SFC so good for alot of us that we chose to play it, rather than those other games?

Offline Angus Mengsk

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2009, 02:45:39 PM »
I tried another game that has destroyable buildings and even gives you resources for destroyed defenses.
It sucked, not only was I put in the middle of players that were far more advanced, but wen some random guy destroys _everything_ you have with 1'000 heavy attack ships when you can barely build 10 transporters, that's just retarded.

It's just fine the way it is right now with the buildings IMO.
Got a question about the game? Check out the wiki, it helps!

Offline Dargarath

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2009, 08:24:26 PM »
Quote from: "Angus Mengsk"
I tried another game that has destroyable buildings and even gives you resources for destroyed defenses.
It sucked, not only was I put in the middle of players that were far more advanced, but wen some random guy destroys _everything_ you have with 1'000 heavy attack ships when you can barely build 10 transporters, that's just retarded.

It's just fine the way it is right now with the buildings IMO.

The only thing I would change, is I would have a way to destroy missile silos, they really are defenses rather than buildings.  But besides that I agree with Angus.  I like the basic setup of the game.  A few tweaks would be nice, but it's a good game, especially for something that you only pay if you want to.
Officer of Bolo MK LXVI

birthmark-ant