contact
September 17, 2019, 11:01:50 AM

Author Topic: More Large NPCs (or more NPCs in general)  (Read 417 times)

Offline Zov

• View Profile
More Large NPCs (or more NPCs in general)
« on: March 28, 2019, 08:49:22 PM »
When I was lower ranked, there was always plenty of NPC targets to go after. However, the higher ranked I get, the more competitive anything not solid green is, and I at times find myself having to search through solid green targets in the hopes of finding something worthwhile. This is probably a bigger issue in active universes and will diminish in time (experiencing it in Nova 4), but it may contribute to attrition among top players.

Part of the fun of NPC's is being able to grow and take down that huge one that was too big at one point, and that feeling is lost when you get to the top ranks. I would like to suggest bonus NPC's spawn (outside the normal algorithm) that average larger than the ones that spawn off the top ranked person, all over the universe (not just around rank 1). The probability distribution should span the size of the top few ranks, but also give a glimpse of what you can look forward to taking down in the future.

Offline green dragon

• View Profile
Re: More Large NPCs (or more NPCs in general)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 05:12:32 PM »
there are planty of npcs in the games, no need for more. as for bigger ones maybe 1 or in each gall. that are super big but hard to find

Offline Zov

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 05:18:27 PM »
I'm sorry to ask, but have you been in top 5/10 in an active time period of a universe's life? If not, I'm not sure how you can make that judgement.

Offline renykeny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 07:31:08 PM »
Personally I think that there should only be three classes of npcs..small , medium , large...and they should only scale at the same rate as the top 25-50 ranks...this would stop the insane growth of the top few players...and thatís speaking as someone who has been at the top of all the new unis for many years
suck it up monkey boy!

Offline Zov

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 08:38:48 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by three classes. I kind of like the variety, and that someone at every rank has an NPC around their size as a possibility. If someone starts a universe late, I don't think they would have any NPC's to go after if we only had three classes?

I can understand how your idea may put more incentives back into player hunting for those that enjoy that most about the game, which isn't everyone. Maybe some universes implement something like that for the hunters to play in more (extreme?), and in others, larger NPC's for the builder-types (original or nova?).

Also, if they do that, they definitely need to adjust the color scaling. I hate how something 1/4 the size of ones that spawn off me and something 1/10,000 look the exact same green unless you look into the hex codes.

Regarding the insane scaling, I would strongly prefer there being a catch-up mechanic than a limitation on farming, because some of us enjoy it and will just quit once they get high enough otherwise. Maybe using something akin to the daily roll, but picking a specific time range during the day (chosen by the player) to regularly receive it so it can't be used as a ninja mechanic reliably. Based on the ratio/difference of a players RSP to the top players RSP, give them x amount of key farming/harvesting/etc ship for that universe (and some hydro to use it). In Nova, for example, say the top player has 1,000,000 Fleet RSP and a given player has 100,000 Fleet RSP. Give the 100,000 player 1,000,000-100,000=900,000 reduced to 10,000 (capped at 1% of top player RSP) free Than/Dio/Prom/etc worth of ships that day and 10% of the top player's Fleet RSP in hydrogen (100,000 hydrogen, in this case) . Additionally, anyone higher than 67% of the top player's Fleet RSP is exempt from catch-up mechanics.

Offline renykeny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 09:11:33 PM »
All this does sound good, but you do have to remember that bfg is dead now..itís at best just a part time thing for one or two guys, they work full time jobs now and the most we will ever get out of them is to put out a new uni every 6 months..there is no money to pay them to make any real changes to the game!...
suck it up monkey boy!

Offline Zov

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 09:13:16 PM »
Yeah =\ It is still fun to think about ways to improve it, though. At least for me.

Offline renykeny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 04:39:53 AM »
Lol! Farting in the wind is good too! But satisfying is under the covers keeping an eye on your girls expression!
suck it up monkey boy!

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 08:05:12 AM »
With respect to BFG being dead -- not totally ;-).  If you can identify a legitimate issue with game programming, John Marks, who is one of the founders and the remaining developer, will try to fix it.  For example, the NPCs that are spawned by the No. 1 player in a universe largely are useless -- either 'way smaller than NPCs spawned off the next tier of players, or 'way overloaded with defenses, or both.  John worked pretty hard with me (I'm No. 1 in SFCO) to fix this.  Ultimately he wasn't able to correct the issue, but I know that he tried pretty hard.

Now, with respect to making significant changes, like changing game mechanics or adding new ships -- yeah, I think those days are behind us.  BFG spent all their money on trying to come up with a couple of game concepts that departed from their basic SFC model, the games didn't pan out, and that sunk the ship.