contact
September 18, 2018, 07:41:54 PM

Author Topic: So far no (s) or account re-sets in Care Bears  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Bleys

• View Profile
So far no (s) or account re-sets in Care Bears
« on: October 05, 2010, 04:22:11 PM »
Is there some sort of time-frame for this "turn yourself in now" thing BGF is doing? I mean, they have names, right? Why isnt action being taken? I would like to know who in my alliance they "caught" cheating.

Time to reset em Matt. Lets see who was using those BOTs. I dont really see any valid reason to delay it further.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
Brute Force, if its not working, you\'re just not using enough.

Remember kids, fleetsaving wastes Hydro!

Offline 2$Bill

• CONVERT TO ISLAM!!!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.suckitoklahoma.com/
Re: So far no (s) or account re-sets in Care Bears
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 04:56:01 PM »
I don't think they can stop the bots.  They crawl all over the forums, Google [Bot] Has taken over Mafiaboss, You can't even PM any of them but they can send you the most disturbing messages!  If you ask me, BFG is outgunned by the indexing power of these malicious programs.
Inventor of the "Support Rulings Forum"
Survivor of a direct confrontation with the Google [bot]
Winner of an argument with myself!

Quote from: \"Admiral Firebringer\"
I hate you people

Offline raider007

• prepare to be boarded sucka's :p
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 06:51:19 PM »
Let me preface this post with the comment:
I don't know squat about computers and websites and programming whatnot, but i do know when I smell BS.

I don't think BFG has had anywhere near enough time to subpoena IP's of visitors to code_B's 'secret' website.  Someone within PROFIT, or with firsthand knowledge MAY have ratted out the fact about the cheaters, (loose lips do SINK ships after all) but i don't think BFG can actually  detect them, certainly not without help from the websites service provider; ie the IPs of the visitors or down loaders of that code. Also, that would mean that the cheaters who had the scripts skyped or emailed to them directly wouldn't have a trail for BFG to follow either...
Now, I suppose IF BFG 'knows' what to look for, they could prolly catch anyone  dumb enough to still be using them but....

Unfortunately, I suspect these kinds of cheats have been around for sometime...someone with the skills of CodeB, but much smarter in that they kept them closely held....

I smell the whole ULTIMATUM or 'grace period' to 'turn yourself in' thing as one big bluff.  Don't get me wrong, I think the notification cheat and mission cheats have been going on for some time, but it seems to me if BFG had, you know, ACTUAL actionable intelligence on these matters these cheaters would have definitely been suspended already.

I'm guessing BFG is trying to get IP's of visitors to the secret site, and trying to put together enough evidence, but I smell a total bluff here....

Very unfortunate, because this whole situation is going to be (has already been) VERY detrimental to BFG's bottom line....
I mean really, why buy credits at all if the game makers cant police cheating? Why would I wanna do that? (slaps forehead) I mean really?

If they have PROOF, drop the perma bans, post haste like yesturday...

Many are waiting to see how this shakes out. i for one have already invested a few bucks in credits, and am still playing both uni1 and uni2, but if I don't see some kind of concrete action taken, well I wont drop another penny on this game and just move on to something else... i would assume many players feel the same way...

So, can someone with more interwebs knowledge please correct me if my assumptions are incorrect here?
Thanksk

Offline Hawkins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 08:33:39 PM »
Personally I hope they are not bluffing and do have some proof. For that matter if they do they should scrape the grace period and perma-ban them all. That includes any that turn themselves in. They should not be able to cheat and get away with it, which they are right now.
Hawkins, Former member and Leader of Hawkins\' Hellions
Assumption is the mother of all F@#$ ups.
Moons given: 7
Moons owned: Still 0

Offline Bleys

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 08:39:52 PM »
Quote from: "Hawkins"
Personally I hope they are not bluffing and do have some proof. For that matter if they do they should scrape the grace period and perma-ban them all. That includes any that turn themselves in. They should not be able to cheat and get away with it, which they are right now.
I do too Hawk, because if they dont, then they called us out.

Most here know me, know how I feel about even minor infractions of cheating. Is there a single person that thinks I would allow this sort of thing inside my alliance openly? Code didnt PM me the address of the BOTs for good reason, we have known each other a long time and my attitude about cheating is widely known. I bitched in Empire Chat constantly while I was a member about taking advantage of certain "sorta legal but not Fair Play" things. It wasnt until I was well gone that the situation there deteriorated into its current state of constant suspicion.

Laggy just made a post in another thread that seems to indicate they have a pretty solid way of tracking a player who used those scripts. I hope its true. I want to see these players punished, and I want to know who they are so I can have them booted from the Bears.

Offline bryn987

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
I think it's a bluff too and felt that the second they were asked to turn themselves in.  Then again, why would they say they knew Profit was accessing that site if they didnt know?  Unless the ISP gave them all the IP addresses and then BFG matched them up?

I cant' see any ISP turning over IP addresses without a court order and that would take a bit of time I would think
To be free, you must be exiled!

1/18/2010 - 10/22/2011
Players sent to d status/retirement - 32
Solo Zeus kills - 33
Solo Heph kills - 3
Moons given  -  31

Offline Victor Doom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 08:55:48 PM »
"Meeting me might have been the most devastating and traumatic focal point of your entire life... For me... It was Tuesday..."

Offline raider007

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 09:00:01 PM »
Quote from: "bryn987"
I think it's a bluff too and felt that the second they were asked to turn themselves in.  Then again, why would they say they knew Profit was accessing that site if they didnt know?  Unless the ISP gave them all the IP addresses and then BFG matched them up?

I cant' see any ISP turning over IP addresses without a court order and that would take a bit of time I would think
[/b]
[/color]

thats my point EXACTLY. Unfortunately, I've been involved w/the legal once or twice.  :oops: There is no way they've gotten a court order already, even if BFG started the process from day 1 of uni2.

I'd REALLY like to see some punishment meeted out here.
I dare say, that it I also would like for the poor saps who had their ships smashed by the cheaters made whole too.

(Its not really fair to 'only' suspend the cheaters for a few days is it? They still get to profit -(excuse the pun) from their deeds anyway; be it in undeserved fleet, bigger mines, better techs etc)

All that res should go back to the guys who really earned it and lost it  (If they keep not fleetsaving-? well Others will smash and grab it anyway..)

Offline Bleys

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 09:05:58 PM »
There is no question we accessed hackstarfleet.com, that is where he had the new Galaxy Search tool, which we were beta testing, or so I thought. Allegedly, the bots were also on that site somewhere, and I believe that.

Its not a direct line though. I never saw any bot links, but I didnt pay attention. I used the search, it seems hit and miss, was trying to help perfect it, but then the shit hit the fan. That was linked on our internal boards. So accessing hackstarfleet isnt a certain way to sort who was cheating. It could be part of some circumstantial case, along with certian in-game behavior, or something, I have no idea, and I dont really care HOW they catch em, I just want em caught and out.

If it turns out they were bluffing, though, I am not going to be all too happy about it.

Offline raider007

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 09:08:35 PM »
^meant to say legal system...

Offline Privacy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 09:40:02 PM »
Quote from: "Phil Sutherland"
Will probably get Perm. Banned from the forums for this and maybe even the game.
This is the full story:
So weeks ago Code decides to play a joke that was to far. He was perm. banned from the forum, which was probably fair.
Code has been playing account by a different name in extreme for a while now. A few days ago he decides to change his name back to Codename_B. He then submits a bug report this is what follows:

Codename_B:
Service Unavailable
This server is temporarily unable to service requests.(Internal-Reason: 132)

This is the message I get when I try to access my playstarfleetextreme account.

This happens periodically every few hours for an hour at a time. I'm
just lucky I haven't lost my fleet.

Should I stick my account in (v) till you guys get this fixed or will
you be able to refund any lost fleet due to this server glitch?
Thanks,

Ben

Matt:
What's your account name? Do you have this problem on other universes?

Codename_B:

codename_B in extreme. #148 as of time of writing.

I've seen the problem occur in uni2 where I'm the666bear, but far less
frequently.

It was pretty bad in extreme today though, I was convinced I was going
to lose my Heph. Thank goodness lady luck was on my side!

Thanks for your response,

B

Matt:
Great thanks for letting me know. I've been meaning to ban you since
discovering the bot you wrote. It would have been harder to figure out
who it was if you didn't host it on the same server as your other
site.

Next what will happen is my lawyers will investigate whether a lawsuit
is useful. Your bot isn't illegal but the webpage is since it clearly
violates our intellectual property. Most likely your entire net worth
is less than the legal fees would be, but if not it's going to get
really fun.

It will start when they contact your hosting company and get them to
turn over your info.

Enjoy.

Poof Banned in both Universes. That was playing dirty if you ask me. Tricking him into giving up both Universe names.

If your with us Change your Signature to what I have.

Based on that I would say they have no way to tie anything to individual accounts.  They couldn't even ban Codename_b until he told them who he was.  If anything their best shot at finding people is to look at their mission usage and find automation patterns, which I'm guessing they already did.  Beyond that, I doubt much else will happen unless the people confessed.  I never saw his site, so  I have no idea what was on it, but I bet they're not going to pursue this all the way through the legal system.  Maybe a letter from their lawyer telling him to cease and desist or else, but not much beyond that (if even that since it's down now).

Offline Mona Stangley

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 09:59:16 PM »
I have remained largely quiet regarding this matter for a variety reasons, but feel the need to say a couple things.

First I just want to acknowledge that I understand the outrage from the community. I love this game and am personally invested in it on many levels. I have spent more hours then I care to admit in-game, and on these forums, and I don't want to see it destroyed by hacks and cheats. But until BFG identifies members of my alliance as cheating I am giving them all the benefit of doubt. This public persecution of my members without any proof of wrongdoing is B.S. and more then dissapointing.

As far as I am concerned the only thing The Care Bears are guilty of at this point is being in the same alliance as Coder. I let him in, and I didn't kick him out when I realized he was more trouble for us then not. I did not take him seriously when he posted his "joke" bot site here on the forums. Code did so many good things for this community and I let it cloud my judgement. So that blame goes to me, and me alone. I don't remember reading in the TOS that you can't have assholes in your alliance, but hey, I didn't read all the fine print so maybe I missed something. Anyway...chances are your alliance is guilty of having an asshole in it too.

Personally I think all this finger pointing and in-game harrassment says alot more about the state of this "community" then it does about my alliance. I only hope BFG is listening :(
SFCO- Profit alias Mona Stangley (retired)
Uni2- RMA Moonkey Bizness (retired)
X2- Honey Badger (retired)

Offline Bleys

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 10:05:54 PM »
Well the legal thing is sort of funny, seeing as they stole the "intellectual property" of the game itself from another company, nearly word for word, certainly equation for equation. The only thing that saved them, I think, is that GameForge is based in Germany. Code lives in England, so the threat is even more laughable.

Now, I could care less, BFG has done a reasonable job trying to make their own "version" of the game, so the plagiarism is less and less applicable in my mind, but I am sure Codes lawyer could leverage it if it came down to it.

Justin Coles 928543

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 10:08:49 PM »
@ mona

i don't really know you, and vice versa, i have seen you on the boards plenty over the last 12 months, i have seen what work you do in all the games/uni's that you play....... and i have seen how you play, and i like it :)

my opinion is that nobody should be acting up the way they are.....yes, while i am out at work, and busy looking after my kids, (as with many others) some people are progressing by botting and cheating..... but not everyone

i am not in any of you alliances, and do not condone the actions of the FEW, for this community to be giving detrimental, abusive and harrassing behaviour and comments to the MANY....

i am more than happy enough to sit and watch and read and listen to what is happening rather than through more accusations etc, thats just not what a friendly community should be doing....

in my eyes whats going on here with everybody bashing the entire carebear alliance is just as bad as a FEW of their members getting caught out doing what they are doing
#
personally, i think a number of you ghave stated clearly, not only do you wish for these players to be punished, but named and shamed also.....

Offline Inferno

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 10:10:31 PM »
Quote from: "Mona Stangley"
I have remained largely quiet regarding this matter for a variety reasons, but feel the need to say a couple things.

First I just want to acknowledge that I understand the outrage from the community. I love this game and am personally invested in it on many levels. I have spent more hours then I care to admit in-game, and on these forums, and I don't want to see it destroyed by hacks and cheats. But until BFG identifies members of my alliance as cheating I am giving them all the benefit of doubt. This public persecution of my members without any proof of wrongdoing is B.S. and more then dissapointing.

As far as I am concerned the only thing The Care Bears are guilty of at this point is being in the same alliance as Coder. I let him in, and I didn't kick him out when I realized he was more trouble for us then not. I did not take him seriously when he posted his "joke" bot site here on the forums. Code did so many good things for this community and I let it cloud my judgement. So that blame goes to me, and me alone. I don't remember reading in the TOS that you can't have assholes in your alliance, but hey, I didn't read all the fine print so maybe I missed something. Anyway...chances are your alliance is guilty of having an asshole in it too.

Personally I think all this finger pointing and in-game harrassment says alot more about the state of this "community" then it does about my alliance. I only hope BFG is listening :(

Rules against Assholes? Oh God, we better just disband our Alliance now. We have absolutely no chance of being in compliance.
Quote from: \"Satok\"
Quote from: \"Captain Commander\"
Your welcome General Sarcasm \";)\"
Hey Inferno, congrats on the promotion...

birthmark-ant