contact
September 16, 2019, 06:45:55 AM

Author Topic: Lost some ships even though they arrive 4 sec after attack  (Read 1321 times)

Offline zekestone

• View Profile
Lost some ships even though they arrive 4 sec after attack
« on: March 31, 2011, 04:18:41 AM »
I just had a strange thing happen... I attacked one player and they in turn attacked me.

Normal so far.

The attack was such that it would hit my planet about 4 seconds before some ships came back from an attack mission.

But what ended up happening was I lost the ships.

How could that happen given that my ships arrived 4 seconds AFTER the attacking fleet arrived???

I was under the impression that my ships were safe since they were arriving 4 seconds after the attack.

I have a screenshot to prove it.

Is this a bug or is this by design?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline Aaria.moon

• View Profile
Re: Lost some ships even though they arrive 4 sec after attack
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 04:23:35 AM »
They slow probed. Unless your screenshot is from the last 13.3 seconds before the attackers landed then your screenshot only shows the attackers before they slow their attack.

Sorry but this is a standard way to catch overconfident noobs.
HONEYBEE MALES: DURING COPULATION THEIR BODY EXPLODES APART LIKE GRENADE; GENITALIA HAS HOOKS AND SPINES AND IT WEDGES INTO FEMALE AND SEALS HER OPENING.

Offline Emotionless Vulcan

• The cake is a lie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 04:25:35 AM »
When doing a short fleetsave to avoid an attack, make sure it returns AT LEAST 5 minutes after the attack so it won't be hit by the slow probe.
SCO: (quit)
Officer, United federation of planets
Moons Given (purposely): 1 (0)
Uni 2: (quit)
StarWars (Shadows) Alliance
Moons: 1

Offline Emotionless Vulcan

• The cake is a lie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 05:58:07 AM »
Coincidently, see here for information on how to slowprobe, in case you weren't aware.
SCO: (quit)
Officer, United federation of planets
Moons Given (purposely): 1 (0)
Uni 2: (quit)
StarWars (Shadows) Alliance
Moons: 1

Offline Grandizer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 03:24:44 PM »
Well I can confirm that this is happening and there are no slow probes involved...
In fact sent info to Jason who basically confirmed it by saying he will return res I should have gotten and ships I lost from this...

For some reason, lately, ships have been returning sooner then they should...

An example, an attack is incoming, I jump my ships that are not in the battle including Dios, time it so they arrive after the battle by seconds... On fleet screens it shows my dios and support ships on harvest and scooping up the DF AFTER the battle by some seconds, (it has varied from 4 to 12 seconds) and then I get a report of the battle and my dios and support ships have landed BEFORE the battle, I actually get the "there was no debris here, someone might have gotten it before you" type message, then I get the battle report, then I get the ships returned from harvest message.

Jason said that it could be caused from battle processing, however, in 2 cases, the battle was insignificant, and ended in the first round, low percentage moonshots, so I don't see how the processing was all that difficult...

This has happened to others in th alliance as well and I am sorry to say we thought they had just deployed rather then harvested, but now it is proven different.

Offline Coolloser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 10:39:01 PM »
+1 to what Grandizer said...I've had dios timed to scoop a DF 5 seconds after a moonshot (accounting in server lag) and have gotten the "there was no debris" message as well. Wasting my hydro BFG!!

Moons Created: 1071
Moons Owned: 51
Most Zeese Killed in One Shot: 100

UniX1; Retired TeaBaggger
Uni2X; Revolution: Just Cools

Offline Maarkean

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 04:52:07 PM »
It's probably because the server wasn't done with the battle calculations. The attack arrives at T-0 and the Dios arrive at T+5 but the server isn't done with the calculation until T+8. So at T+5 there really was no debris. Happened to me before too.

As far as the ships arriving and joining the battle, could be the same thing. The servers have been getting slower in their response time lately.

Offline Maloar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 05:02:52 PM »
Quote from: "Maarkean"
It's probably because the server wasn't done with the battle calculations. The attack arrives at T-0 and the Dios arrive at T+5 but the server isn't done with the calculation until T+8. So at T+5 there really was no debris. Happened to me before too.

As far as the ships arriving and joining the battle, could be the same thing. The servers have been getting slower in their response time lately.

The hampster's getting tired
-Iron must be dirtied, burned and beaten before it can become steel.

Offline Kip Shiller

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 07:38:02 AM »
this happened to me on one of my moonshots. i assumed it was a brainfart until i heard others having the same problem. hasnt happened since.

Offline Grandizer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 01:28:37 AM »
In my head I think it is a combination of factors...
I bet that because in my case the battle was over in the first round, it was not due to battle calcs on it's own...
I would hazard to guess that by charting when this happens, you can also figure out BFG's server backup times...
Most likely different for each game...

But then I have also been having problems getting into screens in some games randomly...
I get the message that the server sent no data or that the request did not fit into some range errors...

I was able to recreate it for over an hour when trying to go to the messages screen from one particular planet.
Of course a ticket was placed, but of course more then 12 hrs later when it was answered the problem no longer existed.
I have had the same thing happen going to fleet screens and to Heph screens and to shipyard screens as well.
Only I did not check that it was tied to a certain planet in those cases...

Anyone else seeing this???

Offline Andrej Atanasoski

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 12:50:09 PM »
Quote from: "Grandizer"
I bet that because in my case the battle was over in the first round, it was not due to battle calcs on it's own...
I would hazard to guess that by charting when this happens, you can also figure out BFG's server backup times...

But then I have also been having problems getting into screens in some games randomly...
I get the message that the server sent no data or that the request did not fit into some range errors...

I was able to recreate it for over an hour when trying to go to the messages screen from one particular planet.
Of course a ticket was placed, but of course more then 12 hrs later when it was answered the problem no longer existed.
I have had the same thing happen going to fleet screens and to Heph screens and to shipyard screens as well.

but you said its in your head (the first line in your post), so how can someone else see it? :)

PS. i know im off topic, but i had to comment this :)

Offline Grandizer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 01:43:39 PM »
Quote from: "Andrej Atanasoski"
Quote from: "Grandizer"

Hahaha, my mental shields are down. I freely allow most people to roam about inside my head, knowing that they can't handle what they find inside!
but you said its in your head (the first line in your post), so how can someone else see it? :)

PS. i know im off topic, but i had to comment this :)