contact
April 19, 2019, 06:53:07 PM

Author Topic: Levelling The Playing Field...a little bit.  (Read 921 times)

Offline -V-

• View Profile
Levelling The Playing Field...a little bit.
« on: November 23, 2009, 07:54:47 PM »
I respectfully submit that the game should reward players for "playing" within their league.  Right now, there's no incentive for me to attack anyone close to my own ranking.  I might get more resources for it, but I can lose alot more in the process.  Therefore, I continually attack those 1-2000 rankings below me since they have resources worth going after and not as much defense/fleet to combat.  I know it's pissing them off, but why shouldn't I do this (or anyone else for that matter)?

Unlessssss...

There was a category added to and factored into my overall ranking that tracked the average ranking (relative to my own) of those I attack (and I mean attack ALL THE WAY...no launching at someone stronger and cancelling it at the last minute to get the credit).  If I normally attack players stronger than me, this would be a positive integer...those near my ranking would zero out and those weaker than me would yield a negative score.  I would grant more credit for attacking a homewrold v. a colony since defences are usually concentrated there.

This is just my opinion on how to make the game a little more fair for those struggling up the ladder.  (I know, they can always go into Dip and pay the tax, but then they won't garner any experience of being an "active" player that way).
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
"No, what you have are bullets, and the hope that when your guns are empty, I\'m no longer standing, because if I am... you\'ll all be dead before you\'ve reloaded."  -V-

Offline crinoshunter

• View Profile
Re: Levelling The Playing Field...a little bit.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 10:05:19 PM »
hey V.. they have been talking about this in the "attacking" thread as well.  Just so ya know
Arrrrrgh! Tis be a good day to Plunder

Offline Ptonjalken

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 10:51:01 PM »
This idea has been suggested before, in terms of morale, karma, etc. It makes sense, I do not know if it should reap rewards tho - would show who is "brave" tho.
Retired Forum Moderator
Haunting the forums.

Offline -V-

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 11:17:05 PM »
that was the unsaid part of my suggestion...i didnt want to call those who routinely pillage the weak (myself included) out, but if there's no incentive to attack at least those near your own level (and i define that as +/- 500, adjusted to total population), then you'll just pummel the weaker players until they Dip.  not sure that's what the dev's are trying to drive people to do.  if a larger % of the gamers are "hiding"  the game loses some of it's overall appeal.
"No, what you have are bullets, and the hope that when your guns are empty, I\'m no longer standing, because if I am... you\'ll all be dead before you\'ve reloaded."  -V-

Offline Ptonjalken

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 11:19:36 PM »
Quote from: "-V-"
that was the unsaid part of my suggestion...i didnt want to call those who routinely pillage the weak (myself included) out, but if there's no incentive to attack at least those near your own level (and i define that as +/- 500, adjusted to total population), then you'll just pummel the weaker players until they Dip.  not sure that's what the dev's are trying to drive people to do.  if a larger % of the gamers are "hiding"  the game loses some of it's overall appeal.

The thing is, hiding in (d) has no benefit whatsover. If a person goes (d) after being wiped, he is just taking 25-75% of his recovery resources away.

I never understood it. You can fleetsave just as efficient with 1 ship as 1000. (d) mode helps noone.
Retired Forum Moderator
Haunting the forums.

Offline crinoshunter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 11:37:07 PM »
well. i had to go to diplo for a bit, because i was being attacked on a daily basis.  I had no way to fleetsave again, nor any way to build up with all my resources going to somebody else.  I didnt like it.. i hated it.. but that tax is better then not having anything to work with at all.
Arrrrrgh! Tis be a good day to Plunder

Offline Ptonjalken

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 11:42:30 PM »
Quote from: "crinoshunter"
well. i had to go to diplo for a bit, because i was being attacked on a daily basis.  I had no way to fleetsave again, nor any way to build up with all my resources going to somebody else.  I didnt like it.. i hated it.. but that tax is better then not having anything to work with at all.

I meant to say excluding people being targeted. Sorry.
Retired Forum Moderator
Haunting the forums.

Offline Mr Data

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 01:14:59 AM »
At the very least tightening the ranges a bit so when a stronger player attacks a weaker player there isn't such an overwhelming difference (The #1 player attacking say the #1250 isn't much of a match). Perhaps the lower the player below you lessens the percentage of resources one can pilfer making it less attractive.

Offline Ptonjalken

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 01:33:55 AM »
Quote from: "Mr Data"
At the very least tightening the ranges a bit so when a stronger player attacks a weaker player there isn't such an overwhelming difference (The #1 player attacking say the #1250 isn't much of a match). Perhaps the lower the player below you lessens the percentage of resources one can pilfer making it less attractive.

+1
Retired Forum Moderator
Haunting the forums.

Offline Angus Mengsk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 01:37:27 AM »
50% for chances to win up to 1.5/2:1, down to 1% for 100:1? sort of.
Got a question about the game? Check out the wiki, it helps!

Offline LunarAvenger

• Your flesh shall be sutured into the orthodoxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 02:35:14 AM »
by all means make it harder for people ranked 1-100 from raiding people. Think about it. Everyone in the upper hundreds fleetsaves. And those resources vanish while the fleet is out. And no one is going sleep without fleet saving.

So how do you propose for the people higher up to gain resources? By letting our mines run? I might as well go in d mode now. (where is the puke emoticon?) If the ZPM finds a player who has left their fleet parked I say let the ZPM wipe it out. Or better yet, IF I FIND YOUR FLEET PARKED, I will destroy it and recycle it given a chance. Yes, you have to send your fleet places or it will get wiped out.

It forces people to play. You know I think if they do put a system in like your suggesting then I would recommend removing the bash rules. That way I can attack those lower ranks that think they are safe enough times for it to be worth it. Even if bashing stays I will still attack every lower rank just to destroy that "safe" fleet.

Bashing should be removed. But that is a separate issue.

I'm Ancient
Wiki Administrator, disciple of the ZPM, Nachträcher des Imperiums.

Offline Admiral_Cain

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 02:36:28 AM »
Or get a bonus in your destroyed ship points if the destroyed ships are owned by a player ranked higher than you or near your rank...and a discount if owned by a player much lower than your rank
[size=110]Leader of the Ninja Turtles Alliance[/size] \";)\"

Offline LunarAvenger

• Your flesh shall be sutured into the orthodoxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 02:45:40 AM »
Quote from: "Admiral_Cain"
Or get a bonus in your destroyed ship points if the destroyed ships are owned by a player ranked higher than you or near your rank...and a discount if owned by a player much lower than your rank

+1
that would work if you need to change the system.
I'm Ancient
Wiki Administrator, disciple of the ZPM, Nachträcher des Imperiums.

Offline n00b

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 06:42:18 PM »
See, it's people like Lunar Avenger that are why so many are just switching to D mode.

That said, -1 to imposing fighting limits. +1 to removal of bashing rule which is made of suck.

Offline -V-

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 06:57:26 PM »
Quote from: "LunarAvenger"
by all means make it harder for people ranked 1-100 from raiding people. Think about it. ...
So how do you propose for the people higher up to gain resources?

By attacking people close to their own ranking, maybe?  The game doesn't need to be easier for the top players.  It should incremental harder the higher you are and right now I argue it's the easiest for those who already have the big fleets and hardest for those of the lower ranks trying to climb.  that's about as bassackwards as it gets.  If there's no bonus to challenging yourself and attacking someone capable of defending against your sized fleet, you never will.  Enjoyable games start out easier and get progressively harder as you progress.  Right now it's nearly impossible to break into the top 500 because the top 500 can easily wipe out anyone below them and rarely attack those at or above themselves.  Your opponent is fleet-saving?  Good for him.  Don't take it out on a guy who has a RL and isn't on the game 24X7X365.

birthmark-ant