contact
April 01, 2020, 04:23:25 AM

Author Topic: Mistakes you have made.  (Read 2780 times)

Offline cupAsoup

• View Profile
Mistakes you have made.
« on: August 31, 2011, 03:26:50 PM »
Hello and thanks for taking the time to read this.

I just started playing this a few days ago and am looking for some sage advice.  I wonder, what were some of the mistakes people made when they started out?  What were some actions you took that you realized turned out to be exercises in futility?

I'm looking forward to making my own mistakes, they can only help me learn. I'd be interested to hear what some veterans have to say.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
Delicious and nutritious, Blueberry oatmeal. Antioxidants and Fiber are good for your fleet!

Offline Sid82

• View Profile
Re: Mistakes you have made.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 03:40:40 PM »
Building defenses without having a missile silo lvl 2 and some ABMs.
Quote from: \"LHDR\"
Quote from: \"Sid82\"
-1 don\'t need a reason other than this is a stupid idea
"Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds."~Albert Einstein
doesn\'t work when idea IS stupid
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8493

kevin rhodes

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 03:59:58 PM »
a common 1  i built 100 charon transports im place off arties then had to waste them in a moonshot trade i admit to an even worse 1 forgot to send the hydro with a mac force good job no 1 spotted it:p

Offline Ian Moon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 04:58:20 PM »
Quote from: "cupAsoup"
Hello and thanks for taking the time to read this.

I just started playing this a few days ago and am looking for some sage advice.  I wonder, what were some of the mistakes people made when they started out?  What were some actions you took that you realized turned out to be exercises in futility?

I'm looking forward to making my own mistakes, they can only help me learn. I'd be interested to hear what some veterans have to say.

Thanks!

send me a pm with what uni ur playing and Ill pm u in game some pointers, the little tips and tricks I have learned
Member of Topgun extreme-the extreme means we have more time to kill you

TopGun Who\'Z Yer Daddy

Punish the weak

If yer gonna go, go with a smile

Offline Rufus Griffin

• Oh, you outta time baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 05:57:16 PM »
Um...

1.  started X1 fairly high ranked and had a significant fall off because i got so wrapped up into building my fleet and attacking people i didn't keep pace with my mine building.
2.  attacked a much higher ranked person in SFCO while he was online and learned the hard way about ninjas and disguising your fleet strength from probes
3.  found an alliance in X2 with a "stronghold" that didn't fleetsave at all and attempted to drop a MAC(mobile attack colony) within oracle range to cut down on attack time.  got caught about 10 minutes out and had to recall.  then attacked someone else in the stronghold and was locked on return, costing me all of my athenas and hades.  finally, to complete this fiasco, i did a transport across 10 galaxies from this same colony and lost all of my transports when they were locked on return.
4.  lol  fell asleep waiting for a transport to arrive and lost my entire fleet including a Zeus that wasn't 2 hours old :-/  woke up 12 minutes after the attack landed.  also took a few other large hits under similar circumstances.

My lessons learned:
1.  Don't stop building mines.
2.  Don't underestimate your opponent.  If you're attacking a colony while they're online and they don't ask you to recall, there is probably a reason why...
3.  Don't get too full of yourself.  It was very stupid of me to lose a bunch of ships because I thought I was facing inferior players.  Lol and be careful of what you do within someone's oracle range.  Deploys are typically the only safe thing as they can be recalled, but even those can be locked so you should make sure you're online while they're on the way.  
4.  Your transport can probably wait...  If you're feeling tired, it's safer just to wait.  Same goes for attacks.  Whatever you gain is probably not worth losing your entire fleet.

I pretty much memorized the wiki and always had it open in a tab when I first started and have made very few mistakes as a result.  The wiki is your friend.
Phase 2
Extreme Universe 1
Peak:  #31, #17 DSP
Alliances: The Midnight Brethren, WHO

Extreme Universe 2
Peak:  #201, #97 DSP
Alliances:  NTA, xXx

Conquest
Alliance:  xXx

Tournament
I Am Meadowlark
Season 1
Alliance:  Haters

Darkwing Duck
Season 2
Alliance:  MM, xXx

Offline cupAsoup

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 07:10:53 PM »
Quote from: "Ian Moon"

send me a pm with what uni ur playing and Ill pm u in game some pointers, the little tips and tricks I have learned

Appreciate the help. Noob question time! How exactly would I know what universe I'm playing in?
Delicious and nutritious, Blueberry oatmeal. Antioxidants and Fiber are good for your fleet!

Offline Sid82

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 07:12:35 PM »
If you are playing on the off facebook sites it will say at the top of your screen. There is a spot that says Universes and then a box for you to choose what universe you want to play in.
"Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds."~Albert Einstein
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8493

Offline cupAsoup

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 09:24:46 PM »
Nope, playing on facebook.

Offline Ian Moon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 09:28:02 PM »
Nope, playing on facebook.

Scroll down click options there will be a like to the main site cut and past that like here we will know what uni ur playing :)
Member of Topgun extreme-the extreme means we have more time to kill you

TopGun Who\'Z Yer Daddy

Punish the weak

If yer gonna go, go with a smile

Offline Battle Angel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 09:52:30 PM »
What were some actions you took that you realized turned out to be exercises in futility?
Before Moons were available, I built up the defences on all my Planets.
Now no-one will attack me except the guys that want my whole fleet (top 10 players).  I have NO Moons.   :evil:

Get some Moons as early as possible.   :arrow:

Offline kriss515

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 10:09:56 PM »
I think the biggest mistake I made in the game was keeping planets under 190 fields.

Offline switch

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 11:03:25 PM »
Plan your endgame from day one and place your colonies accordingly.
Being spread out is key if you want to grow fast because you have more juicy farms and targets in range than those stuck in one small area.

If you are very agressive you spread your 7-8 planets out far so that later on you have more hunting grounds. If you are more casual, a couple of clusters will do. Having more planets in the same system makes transports between planets easy and fast and you need to bother with developing less moons.

Dont colonize from 0-50 and 450-499 since you will cover less ground.

Get min 200 fields for original, +220 for extreme. More for the steroid universes.

Mines should ALLWAYS be taken to a min lv as soon as possible. Example: dont bother with building a fleet in original before your mines are min 24/19/17

At some point in this game i have done the opposite of all this advice. This game definately has a learning curve!
Luther Blissett  - Uni X2

Offline cupAsoup

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 07:12:13 PM »
Here's a question.

If I make another atlas cargo ship will i be able to run 2 missions at once?

How soon is it a good idea to colonize a 2nd planet?

Offline Sid82

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 09:24:30 PM »
Here's a question.

If I make another atlas cargo ship will i be able to run 2 missions at once?

How soon is it a good idea to colonize a 2nd planet?

You have to upgrade your AI tech first. It is a good idea to get a second colony as soon as possible. Work on unlocking it fast.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8493

Offline Torps

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 05:51:39 AM »
Quote from: "kriss515"
I think the biggest mistake I made in the game was keeping planets under 190 fields.

+1  In SFC, especially in Extreme 1/2 and Original 2, it's absolutely vital to have at LEAST 200 fields.  I play Uni2 and have a minimum of 250 fields on all planets.  Though it took me over 100 Gaias (might have been 200, I forget, but it was just over 100 or just over 200) to get to that point...