contact
November 28, 2020, 01:43:59 PM

Author Topic: Now what?  (Read 1089 times)

Offline cupAsoup

• View Profile
Now what?
« on: September 12, 2011, 07:11:46 PM »
Ok, first time playing any SFC incarnation (currently uni 2). I've built some things, but after reading ahead on the forum, I realize the scope of this game is bigger than I understand.

A lot of posts are tough to disseminate. Abbreviations and acronyms are rampant. (I look them up on the wiki as I go)

I guess I would ask that once you have a simple start, I've mainly just been building mines(15/14/12), What are the options from here out?

I've made a few fighters and picked off some low hanging fruit in the form of lower inactives. I've yet to invest in a lot of defenses, so I'm sure I can be wiped out on a whim, and I'd be powerless to do anything to stop it.

I've gotten lucky and my 1 and only colony has 193 fields (which i've read is decent) just so I can build even more mines and build a resource base.  

I'd like to hear opinions more along the lines of what would you do different at roughly this point?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
Delicious and nutritious, Blueberry oatmeal. Antioxidants and Fiber are good for your fleet!

Offline bryn987

• View Profile
Re: Now what?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 07:22:37 PM »
just keep building up mines so you can get more resources coming in.  A rough guide I use when starting out is to watch your ranks.  When you see one category falling behind the others, start investing in that category.  This way, you improve your areas in a balanced manner. But mines should be a priority.  It also depends on your playing style.  If all you want to do is mine, then fleet should be last.  If all you want to do is hunt, then mines followed closely by research/fleet.

I believe in uni 2, I didn't really do anything until I had 8 planets with good mines.  I did insure I had enough research and ships done to be able to fleet save properly (dino and hercs/atlas)  One reason is because I've been playing for a while and I didn't care to raid inactives with just a handful of arties.  I built up mines then started pumping out fleet in large numbers very quickly.
To be free, you must be exiled!

1/18/2010 - 10/22/2011
Players sent to d status/retirement - 32
Solo Zeus kills - 33
Solo Heph kills - 3
Moons given  -  31

Offline Dr.Hook

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 07:38:11 PM »
Honestly.No matter what you have for defences in this game you will never be 100% safe turdled up.The mines pays very well in this version of the game.The higher you take your mines the better off your rank an daily intake will be.Build cargos an Dions to carry your Res away on your Nightly FRS.  remeber NO FRS= No ships or Res.here.

Offline Buffy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 07:49:33 PM »
Quote from: "Dr.Hook"
remeber NO FRS= No ships or Res.here.

See!! This is why its so hard to find a decent fleet to hit!! Quit tellin' 'em that! :D

New slogan:

FRSing causes herpes!
If I wanted to fight, you could tell by the being dead already.  ~ Glorificus

Quote from: \"andy nard1\"
I agree with Buffy.

Offline cupAsoup

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 10:33:28 PM »
Honestly.No matter what you have for defences in this game you will never be 100% safe turdled up.The mines pays very well in this version of the game.The higher you take your mines the better off your rank an daily intake will be.Build cargos an Dions to carry your Res away on your Nightly FRS.  remeber NO FRS= No ships or Res.here.

Ok, the acronym FRS?

I'm assuming you are talking about fleetsaving? I only have one dino, just unlocked it, and i don't have the crew points to unlock the recycling mission yet. I've been just sending my fleet (loaded with all my current resources) on transport missions between my 2 planets, putting the speed down to 10% so it takes about 10 hours to return.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Delicious and nutritious, Blueberry oatmeal. Antioxidants and Fiber are good for your fleet!

Offline SGS 6

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 11:56:21 PM »
Quote from: "cupAsoup"

Ok, the acronym FRS?

I'm assuming you are talking about fleetsaving? I only have one dino, just unlocked it, and i don't have the crew points to unlock the recycling mission yet. I've been just sending my fleet (loaded with all my current resources) on transport missions between my 2 planets, putting the speed down to 10% so it takes about 10 hours to return.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are. You do not need to use the recycling "mission". For fleetsaving, you would be sending the dio - and the rest of your fleet - on a HARVEST, similar to the transports you are already familiar with.

Benefits here are that HARVEST, as opposed to TRANSPORT...
a) are not visible to Oracles (or anything else, even the destination planet!)
b) do not drop off the resources at opposite end
c) will pick up any debris present at opposite end (up to the limit of the un-used capacity of your dio(s) )
d) you can send any ships on a HARVEST as long as there is at least 1 dio included
e) the opposite end does NOT need to be one of your planets
f) the opposite end does NOT even need to be an occupied planet
(so you can tailor the speed and destination to get exactly the time you want).
Uni 1: retired, formerly Silver Gate Squadron
Uni 2: Sheridan Starkiller, Leader of the Shadows (Shadows)
http://http://wiki.playstarfleet.com/index.php/Shadows_(Shadows)

Offline Jasonb_03

• me Scrotus, you DSP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 01:04:24 AM »
Yes, get this harvest fleet saving down before you learn anything else! You will be so glad you did later.
I AM SCROTUS   HEAR ME ROAR lol

Offline cupAsoup

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 03:01:01 AM »
Got it! Thanks for the input.

birthmark-ant