contact
February 23, 2020, 11:23:07 PM

Author Topic: Anyone else having task timer glitches due to time change?  (Read 726 times)

Offline Tarak

• View Profile
Anyone else having task timer glitches due to time change?
« on: November 06, 2011, 07:31:58 AM »
I now have some attacks returning from a nearby planet that are taking over two hours to return that only took about 1:05 to get there.  :-\
I had/have other attacks that landed before and are/were returning at the correct times.
I took a screenshot once I restarted and began a new session to try and rule out a local time glitch.
I also have a harvest lock on someone's fleet save returning in a few hours but now i'm having second thoughts if that fleet will arrive back on it's correct time or not...? and then what about everyone else's fleet saves for that matter? :o
If i'm not mistaken it should not matter what local or server time changes take place, tasks should still take the same amount of linear time to happen so why are my attacks that were launched before this happened taking two hours to return after hitting now instead of the one it should take?
~ I suggest a new strategy R2, let the Wookie win. ~

Offline Elevas

• View Profile
    • Carpe Clunes Comedy
Re: Anyone else having task timer glitches due to time change?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 08:56:34 AM »
According to BFG it's your fault for not having your PC set to UTC.
Elevas Sunchild, flooder fori and head of The Regiment
Moons owned - 14 (9 in O, 5 in 2)
Moons given - 36 (All on Purpose)
Best rank to date - 817 (SFCO)
First (in SFCO) to Energy Tech 17, I claim it!

Offline the enforcer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 11:18:24 AM »
i like this one better, nobody won the lotto. is the prize double tomorrow, 20 artemis?

Offline Matt H

• Blue Frog Gaming
  • Community Manager
    • Facebook - matt.hirschfelt
    • LinkedIn - matthirschfelt
    • Skype - MattH_BFG
    • Twitter - MattHirschfelt
    • View Profile
    • Blue Frog Gaming
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 01:25:13 PM »
No extra time was added to flight tasks. The server is unaffected by daylight savings and all tasks completed at the appropriate times.
Connect with BFG:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Official Website
  |
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
Connect with me:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
LinkedIn
Offline the enforcer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 01:46:48 PM »
No extra time was added to flight tasks. The server is unaffected by daylight savings and all tasks completed at the appropriate times.
and displayed an extra hour if you are not playing from the server.

Offline llaubacher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 01:53:10 PM »
Thank you for your repeatedly constructive 'in the loop stuck' feedback, Matt. The fleet page, developed by BFG gives a wrong time as pointed out and experienced by many players here. Who cares what server does? We interact with it via the front end and that front end gives us an incorrect info. Yet, BFG does and will do zip, zilch and nada about it, apart from 'the matter is now closed'. Owning the customers' experience indeed.

Offline Tarak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 04:25:48 PM »
I disagree with you Matt and I have the screenshots to prove it. My task timers were counting down 2hrs when they should have been done in 1hr and they did not complete in the proper LINEAR time frame from when they initiated.
~ I suggest a new strategy R2, let the Wookie win. ~

Offline Matt H

• Blue Frog Gaming
  • Community Manager
    • Facebook - matt.hirschfelt
    • LinkedIn - matthirschfelt
    • Skype - MattH_BFG
    • Twitter - MattHirschfelt
    • View Profile
    • Blue Frog Gaming
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 04:49:56 PM »
If a task was to take one hour at the time you started it, it completed in one hour. There were no problems with the server completing tasks at the appropriate times.
Connect with BFG:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Official Website
  |
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
Connect with me:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
LinkedIn
Morat

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 05:14:06 PM »
If a task was to take one hour at the time you started it, it completed in one hour. There were no problems with the server completing tasks at the appropriate times.

How about the *displayed* times? After all, those are what we use, not the servers internal clock.

This comes up every single DST change without fail. It'd be nice if there was an explanation from BFG we could point people to before the time change, rather than just advising our alliance not to do anything for two hours.

Klinghorn

Anyone else having task timer glitches due to time change?
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 05:53:46 PM »
Is it just me ? I find this whole debate about timing to be a huge non event ... Things take as long as they should do ... The fact that your pc clocks change or dot change is an end user issue .. Not a game bug/error ...

Havng played this game since it first began i have never had an issue with any timings that go over any clock changes ..things arrive when i think they should ...

I just think some folks cant do arithemetic with time.... Lets move on?

Morat

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 07:36:06 PM »
Yes. it's just you.

The issue players have is that the time displayed *by the game* doesn't make sense for an hour when the time changes. I suspect that when your local time changes you're FRS and haven't experienced it.  If you're FRS all you have to do is make sure to account for the hour's difference in when you'll next be online. If you're online and playing, all the times are screwed up for an hour. Fleet return times might not be displayed if they're less than an hour, and good luck trying an oracle lock.

As I said, a clear and concise explanation from BFG would be very helpful so that we can point players to it before the next DST change.

Offline napl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 07:55:04 PM »
All my frs times for uni1 and uni2 were altered to reflect daylight savings time.  For example, a 12 hour frs looked like a 6 hour one way and a 7 hour return on the fleet page.  My hephs were similarly altered, although the uni1 heph returned at the "right" time, an hour before it was scheduled to.

Offline the enforcer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 08:14:39 PM »
all it would take is an in-game warning like they do for maintenance.
here i will write it for next year and they can save the time of all of the forum post and tickets submitted.

"during the change of daylight savings you may experience an hour difference to your flight/build times during the change. if you would like to avoid any confusion you can set your clock to UTC to avoid any problems."

then just put that message up on for 2012, March 11,  March 25, October 28, November 4

Offline llaubacher

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 09:28:05 PM »
Is it just me ? I find this whole debate about timing to be a huge non event ... Things take as long as they should do ... The fact that your pc clocks change or dot change is an end user issue .. Not a game bug/error ...

Strange. If I recall correctly some time ago you made a comment that if your development team would do something (can't recall what exactly now), you would have been fired. Would kinda expect a developer to understand what people are trying to say here. Nobody is disputing that things take as long as they should. It's the fleet page which was messed up. So for example if your heph got bounced, it did give an incorrect time of its arrival (in this case it's nice that the server keeps right track of the things, but we and I repeat it again do talk to the server via *FRONT END*). I'll try another example: let's say you have 150 USD on your bank account (aka: bank is the server here), but the bank slip and/or internet banking account summary tells you, that there is 1500 USD. You go on a shopping spree with the credit card based on the false account info. Happy about "server" being right while "front end" has given you an incorrent info which has lead you to spent something you did not have? I kinda don't think so.

Another example, based on this game: planet a.b.c has 1000 proms (recorded in the db on the *server*), you probed and esp report (*front end*) tells you 100 proms. You launch and you get smashed. All good? Should be right, as the information on the *server* is correct after all. At least according to the "logic" used by BFG here.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:41:44 PM by llaubacher »

Offline Mateo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »
Nope....

birthmark-ant