contact
February 23, 2020, 11:32:51 PM

Author Topic: Resources through warp gates revisited  (Read 822 times)

Offline Sandor Clegane

• View Profile
Resources through warp gates revisited
« on: January 03, 2012, 05:51:40 PM »
People have been suggesting this forever, and I agree it has a potential for changing the game balance unfavorably.. But I have a new slant on the idea which might make it tenable.

In reality, when resources are first mined, they are raw and often unusable in natural form.  A process of refinement is necessary until resources can be fashioned into something useful for building.

What I propose is a fundamental change to the game.  Have ore and crystal mines produce unrefined resources which requires refining in order to build with them.  The rate at which resources can be refined will be determined by the level of a new building type, namely.. a Refinery.  When resources are first mined, they go into the warehouse as unrefined.  Over time a percentage of that resource becomes refined and can be used.  The game will keep track of usable resources and unrefined resources independently.

Hydrogen is hydrogen and requires no refinement, so it is instantly usable.

What does this have to do with transporting resources through a warp gate?  At warp gate level 2, you can transmit UNREFINED ore and crystal through a warp gate.  However, it can only be done via a special mission type and no other ships can comprise the fleet going through the warp gate.  On the other side, the resources can be transported to the planet and will eventually be refined into useful resources per the level of the local refinery

Due to the intense electromagnetic and gravitometric distortions of a warp gate, hydro cannot be transported through the gate, as it would become unstable and explode, destroying the transports and warp gates, and potentially creating an unconfined singularity in space.

Thoughts?

Offline Monkey D. Luffy

• Monkey D. Luffy - Retired.
    • View Profile
Re: Resources through warp gates revisited
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 06:59:45 PM »
This is an interesting twist...

I am not opposed to this idea... however... it would need two points to gain my support...

1. This refinery would need to have "unlimited" storage for the refined resources that it produces.

My base planet has 300 fields, and I am already using 260 of those (and I'm not done building on it), so I can't afford to build up separate storage for refined resources, and a refinery...

2. It would need to have an exponential increase in refining ability.

I produce 221 million rez a day - and if the refinery can't keep up (even at very high levels) and I keep maxing out my storage, then I'm losing rez... which is a no-go on the idea for me.

If you cover both of those two points, then I'd support it - It sounds pretty good :)

~Monkey D. Luffy - Retired.

Offline Sandor Clegane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 02:28:43 PM »
I'm not ignoring your concerns.. they are very good ones and I am trying to come up with reasonable solutions which don't destroy the original idea.  Stay tuned!  :)

Offline Sandor Clegane

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 07:23:05 PM »
After some thought based on your comments, here's what I've come up with.  It is a revised proposal

Only ore and crystal can be carried through a warp gate.  Hydro would become unstable and decay catastrophically.

During transport the ore and crystal are exposed to intense gravitometric radiation, some of which is absorbed by the transported material.  For this reason a specialized transport ship and mission type is needed.  No other ships can accompany these special transports through the gate.  No ships can be in orbit around the destination moon.  If there are, then the transport operation will be unavailable.

Upon arrival, the radiation given off by the tranported materials renders the area unsafe and the moon is quarantined until the radiation dissipates.  The quarantine prevents any ships from approaching the moon.  Additionally the warp gate is unavailable during this time.  The quarantine is implemented as a cooldown timer.  When it clears, the area is safe and the resources can be collected.  Diligence is required since the resources can be raided once the area is clean.

One variation on this idea is to have the cooldown time dependent on the warp gate level.  You could argue that higher levels exhibit a tighter control over the space-time continuum, reducing the amount of radiation that the resources are exposed to, thus reducing the cooldown.

Klinghorn

Resources through warp gates revisited
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 07:10:46 PM »
I dont think this should be allowed. Part of the challenge lies in sorting out yor fuel dumps ahead of time..

Offline Monkey D. Luffy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 07:35:06 PM »
@Klinghorn:

Only ore and crystal can be carried through a warp gate.

I believe that he isn't talking about fuel... Allowing only Ore and Crystal to travel through a warp gate wouldn't have any effect on fuel. Also, I do completely agree with you... being able to transport hydrogen through a warp gate could change alot of game dynamics... that'd be bad.

Although... I don't see the benefit of only allowing Ore and Crystal to go through a warp gate either... except in the case of building mines...

Is there a specific reason for wanting this mrgrynch?

Offline Sandor Clegane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 08:22:46 PM »
It a faster way of getting far flung plunder to your main production colonies.  It would allow more rapid utilization for upgrading mines and tech as well as ship building (assuming you convert some resources via trade or merchant).

Offline Monkey D. Luffy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 08:31:26 PM »
Alright,... now that's an honest answer, with no "between the lines" BS... I like that...

What do you propose for a cooldown/quarantine time before you can move the ore and crystal to the planet from the moon?

Offline Sandor Clegane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 01:26:24 AM »
I would propose basing it on the amount of resources.  Carrying the absorbed radiation premise along, the more resources you carry, the more absorbed radiation which must dissipate, thus long quarantine times.  Perhaps something along the lines of 10 minutes per million resources, so 6 million in resources would require an hour, and so on.  If you implement the variation of factoring in warp gate level that amount could be cut in half for each level, so at level 2, it would be 5 minutes per million resources transported.

That is just an off-the-cuff idea though.  I definitely think it should be based on the quantity transported though.

Morat

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 02:52:52 AM »
Then BFG could offer the Reynolds Wrap Commander that allows you to cover your OCH in tinfoil, thus preventing any radiation absorption and allowing your OCH to be instantly usable.

I'm not helping, am I?

Offline Sandor Clegane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 03:08:16 AM »
Depends on your definition of "helping".. that made me laugh!

Offline Monkey D. Luffy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 03:43:44 AM »
Sounds good to me :)

I don't see why not - although the other idea was more inventive... a twist that was interesting... this one is more straight forward... and works also.

Offline Sandor Clegane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 04:42:52 AM »
I agree the original idea was more inventive, but I don't think it would gain acceptance in an established universe. If it were the way of things from the start, it would be more tenable.  Established players, such as yourself could never accept it the way it needs to be t preserve game balance.

Offline the enforcer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 10:41:40 AM »
just que the rez as ships and warp the ships through. that's what i do and hell that way you can move hydro through too.  :P :P :P ;D

Offline Charles M. Thompson

• Original Uni... WAS the best.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 10:53:33 AM »
-1 . . .