contact
July 02, 2020, 12:39:04 PM

Author Topic: Planning Starfleet moving forward!  (Read 76601 times)

Offline Matt H

• Blue Frog Gaming
  • Community Manager
    • Facebook - matt.hirschfelt
    • LinkedIn - matthirschfelt
    • Skype - MattH_BFG
    • Twitter - MattHirschfelt
    • View Profile
    • Blue Frog Gaming
Planning Starfleet moving forward!
« on: January 19, 2012, 09:23:28 PM »
Listening to suggestions and feedback from our community is important to us. That is why we would like to take a few moments to discuss  our plans for the future of the Starfleet Commander franchise.

Over the past few years it has been clear that the most requested feature for Starfleet Commander is new ships (followed closely by defenses, buildings and techs). However, it is something that we have been hesitant to add to any existing Universe due to the very real possibility of it causing a drastic imbalance to the game. That is why moving forward we intend to release a new Starfleet Commander Universe in which we plan to implement a number of game play changes.

We have reviewed all of the ship and defense suggestions that have been made on the board to date and I've included the lists of suggestions as attachments to this post. While there are some suggestions that we like the premise of we wanted to reach out to the community to receive additional input within the framework of changes we are considering.

So what are we looking for?

We are looking for suggestions that will improve the early game experience for new players, including new ships, mechanics, and game play ideas. Some of the suggestions that we have looked at it include introducing a smaller, and potentially faster, early game harvester so that new players can begin to fleet save earlier. We're also looking at ways that we can improve the tutorial currently found in Stardrift Empires to help new players understand the dynamics of Starfleet Commander and to be comfortable playing it, while having fun.

We are looking for suggestions that will improve the late game experience for long term players, including new ships, defenses, techs, and buildings. Some of the suggestions we have looked at include a new defense such as a mine field, a new ship with the ability to clear the mine field and rapid fire on early game defenses, and a way to 'undeploy' your Hephaestus so that it could use warp gates. While we are open to suggestions about ships, defenses, techs and builds, we are not looking for suggestions for ships which merely split the difference between existing ships. We believe that there is a sufficient spread among the current ships that merely adding a ship 'to split the difference' would not add much to the game.

We are looking for suggestions that bring new mechanics to the game for all players. Some of the suggestions we have looked at include modifications to battles where some ships have guaranteed repeat fire (3 shots at 300 attack power per round) instead of rapid fire, changes to how NPCs are encountered, and ships that require you to obtain unique materials (potentially from NPCs) to build. We have also considered things such as flagships or unique ships which provide potential bonuses to your fleet.

While we don't have the exact list together yet of what we want to add, which is why we're involving you early in the planning process, we know we want to add quite a few things. So please share your suggestions, ideas, and input with us so that we can further develop Starfleet Commander. While we may not use any particular suggestion or idea directly, your feedback will be invaluable to us in moving forward.

Please share this post with your alliance mates and other users who may be interested in discussing this topic.

I will try to post frequent questions here:

Will this be a new Universe where you are required to start over?

Yes. I understand the opposition to a new Universe. However, please keep in mind we don't want to drop something in to an old Universe that would completely destroy the balance and ruin the game. A new Universe gives us the ability to have a volatile arena to see how things play out without having huge old accounts on the line. It is possible that if new features go well, they could later be added to the existing Universes.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:47:02 PM by Matt H »
Connect with BFG:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Official Website
  |
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
Connect with me:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
LinkedIn
Offline Smurfalot

• View Profile
Re: Planning Starfleet moving forward!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 09:52:48 PM »
I like the redeploy Heph idea.. tho prob more so when we had 100 Galaxies..

Ship wise, the one thing that all players that actively play the game the way it is described, ie to conquer the other players, is Hydro. So, how about a specific dio, that harvests Hydro from the battlefield.  I do think there should be a time limit on harvesting it, as it would of course disappear into space.. A more advanced ship, with build costs above that of a normal dio.

Quinn Dexter

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 10:04:57 PM »
if anyone can open these files can they repost them in word, text pad, MS office or even note pad thanks

Offline Matt H

• Blue Frog Gaming
  • Community Manager
    • Skype - MattH_BFG
    • View Profile
    • Blue Frog Gaming
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:12:43 PM »
They were OpenDocument format, but here is Word.
Connect with BFG:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Official Website
  |
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
Connect with me:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
LinkedIn
Offline ian8144

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 10:16:47 PM »
how NPCs are encountered, and ships that require you to obtain unique materials (potentially from NPCs) to build.

maybe a one off usage material that can give a significant boost to your warp speed ( may appease X players a bbit )
Back from self imposed exile but still with an ovine obsession

Offline alan darlington

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 10:28:52 PM »
I would like to see shields added to the game,this could be useful for new players who have just come out of new player protection, these shield would only last between 1 hour minimum and 24 hours maximum (depending on amount bought or won) and would only stop you losing half your fleet(this would be to stop players using them as a reason not to fleet save,they would still have to log in and fleet save).These shields could be bought or won through the daily lottery,the higher the players rank the less likely they are to win one or the cost could go up for higher ranks.

I would also like to see the daily lottery changed to one one used in SDE were everyone wins something,again if you want to buy more lottery token you have to pay to play.New players would get better prizes to use this way,(10 artemis at the moment are no good to new players if they cannot fleet save properly because they have not unlocked Dio's).

With regards to Heph's I feel they already give the owner and advantage over those who don't have one yet,but I would like to see better ways of protecting them,for example maybe add a new ship that has limited amount of uses and you can carry only one at a time that can scan like a moon oracle

Offline lazoputz

• we shall never surrender. Winston Churchill
    • Skype - lazoputz1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 10:29:03 PM »
Personally, I think it is against the principle of keeping players in the game. While that may be fine for new players, it does NOTHING for the devoted regular players of SFCO for example. You suggest that we turn our back(s) on the game we have strived so hard to advance in, with many many hours of play and developing stratagems, and start over? You will see the back of my head if thats the case.

Offline Matt H

• Blue Frog Gaming
  • Community Manager
    • Skype - MattH_BFG
    • View Profile
    • Blue Frog Gaming
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 10:31:14 PM »
I would also like to see the daily lottery changed to one one used in SDE were everyone wins something,again if you want to buy more lottery token you have to pay to play.New players would get better prizes to use this way,(10 artemis at the moment are no good to new players if they cannot fleet save properly because they have not unlocked Dio's).

Lucky Draw will be added to all SFC Universes in the near future.
Connect with BFG:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Official Website
  |
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
Connect with me:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
LinkedIn
Offline Phil M

• Facebook - phil.mcbride.3
    • Skype - thesevenlevels
    • Twitter - philipmcbride
    • View Profile
    • Phil Mc Bride
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 10:33:50 PM »
Are you talking about starting from scratch AGAIN?
The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.

Quinn Dexter

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 10:36:27 PM »
one thing i would like to see that isnt mentioned, is the addition of a shipyard to the heph/titan, it would probably have limitations, but should be able to build smaller ships up to Poseidon and dios, there should be a way of increasing build times of these ships something similar to foundry... (ships can not be added to the build queue while under attack)

also if this is a testing universe i hope its a 2x speed, 1x speed would take to long to produce reliable results

Offline peps

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 10:36:53 PM »
Are you talking about starting from scratch AGAIN?

Yeah good question, please don't say you want to start from scratch again!?

Offline SOLDIER of FORTUNE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 10:38:08 PM »
Will not start to play new uni....but would like to be able to undeploy my heph in x1 .That's all,thanks!

Offline Monkey D. Luffy

• Monkey D. Luffy - Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 10:38:46 PM »
@ Matt -

Will the new ships, buildings, and techs in this "new" SFC universe, be back-ported to our SFC universes, or will they only exist in this new universe?

Also, any idea yet as to which universe the mine formulas and ship speeds will be based on?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:41:36 PM by Monkey D. Luffy »
~Monkey D. Luffy - Retired.

Offline Lieutenant Crow

• Catch me if you can.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 10:39:14 PM »
I would like to see shields added to the game,this could be useful for new players who have just come out of new player protection, these shield would only last between 1 hour minimum and 24 hours maximum (depending on amount bought or won) and would only stop you losing half your fleet(this would be to stop players using them as a reason not to fleet save,they would still have to log in and fleet save).These shields could be bought or won through the daily lottery,the higher the players rank the less likely they are to win one or the cost could go up for higher ranks.

With regards to Heph's I feel they already give the owner and advantage over those who don't have one yet,but I would like to see better ways of protecting them,for example maybe add a new ship that has limited amount of uses and you can carry only one at a time that can scan like a moon oracle

This 'shields' thing is a bad idea in my opinion. It's adding diplomacy mode in, without cutting out the resources that they earn.

Quinn Dexter

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 10:39:32 PM »
i assume this is a testing univers where they test new ships, building etc and see what affect they have on the game before adding them to existing universes

birthmark-ant