contact
August 23, 2019, 05:55:25 AM

Author Topic: Carmanor Class Cargo used to carry Defenses  (Read 509 times)

Offline Zokolov

• View Profile
Carmanor Class Cargo used to carry Defenses
« on: June 29, 2012, 01:32:21 PM »
     Has any thought been given to allowing defenses to be carried by the Carmanor Class Cargo? I tried doing a search in the forum and I did not see that in any other  threads.
     It would be nice if some of the defenses could be removed from a planet before abandoning it. Even if you restricted it to the res spent on the unit itself, that would only keep you from moving Plasma Cannons (unless you allow 1 with nothing else).
     Decoys might have to be exempted as well as impracticable, but I thought I'd bring it up here and see how the idea flies.

Offline lazoputz

• we shall never surrender. Winston Churchill
    • Skype - lazoputz1
    • View Profile
Re: Carmanor Class Cargo used to carry Defenses
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 01:46:05 PM »
On a personal level, it wouldnt help me much, since all my planets are permanent; however, i can see the benefit to people that may wish to abandon a planet after a period of time, yet still have defenses on it for the duration. I think though, that the idea is not to waste resources building defenses to any great degree on a planet that you will ultimately be abandoning.

Offline Zokolov

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 02:15:33 PM »
    I could see limiting it up to a certain level, similar to the newbies not being able to be attacked until they reach a certain point or even that you have to abandon within a set time. There are players that haven't played in the other games, so they may not find out until later that they goofed and went overboard on their early planets.
    Thanks for commenting. I was hoping to get some debate, both pro and con.

Offline Zuk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 02:22:46 PM »
then again there is the other thought of not building defenses at all or too much of any kind. then when and if you abandon a planet its no sweat of your back to worry about.

however i do not believe this idea has been brought up before. personally i dont see the need for it but im sure there are people out there who would love this ship. however it would add a lot of possibilities to the game. probe a planet with no defenses and just deploy this ship full of plasmas to land right before.

Offline Big S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 03:20:14 PM »
There was a defense mover ship suggested a while back so this is similar to that. I don't remember the arguments back and forth, but I can see a bigger use case in Nova for transporting defenses built on planet to the moon to guard against moon destruction.
Quote from: \"Evan Woodard\"
I\'m pretty sure that\'s just D-baggery.

Offline Zarchne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 01:20:19 AM »
Well, on the SDE board it was suggested that there be a purchasable (boo, hiss) item to ameliorate defense losses when abandoning a planet:

http://forum.stardriftempires.com/index.php?topic=1964.0

My main response is this:  if you are building only reasonable defense, then the cost of the additional defense you will need at a substantially more built-up planet will be likewise larger than the defense you are abandoning.  Abandoning the defense should not be any more painful than abandoning the buildings.

birthmark-ant