contact
October 30, 2014, 03:53:43 PM

Author Topic: Help Create your Dream Tournament Universe  (Read 291 times)

Offline PublicNemani

• View Profile
Help Create your Dream Tournament Universe
« on: July 01, 2012, 07:16:59 PM »
So I know that after almost getting excited about playing a new Tournament Universe that after reading the proposed layout for the tournament, that given the way that the tokens and beginning strategy of the game work, that I won't be playing this one.

However, I thought that perhaps, in this thread, players could list the things that they would want to see in a Tournament Universe that they would actually play.

Here are my thoughts:
1) the current proposed speeds and building mine ratios are good - +1
2) No moons for the tournament uni
3) have everyone start with a full fleet at the beginning of the game.  Have all buildings start at level 10 generation and the techs should start from 0 as usual.
4) have no ships/massive res bonus' available in the tokens for sale.  However, as BFG does need to generate cash, still have the droids, admirals, planet moves, etc for sale as those functions don't affect the leaderboards the same say.
5) have the point system for building/res spent calculate differently on a point for build ratio rather than a res spent ratio.  This would make the focus of this Tournament Universe be about hunting/surviving/ship building versus mine building.
6) Have no NPC's in the game at all
7) have no missions for res, but instead have the missions generate badges only or unlock accomplishments that do have rewards.
8) have a 3 strikes your 'out' rule in the universe meaning that if you lose 50% or more of your fleet more than 3 times than you game becomes null and void (this could mean that maybe the Tourny length gets diminished to maybe 2-3 months tops)
9) charge an entrance fee of $25.00 but for that fee give every new player 50-100k in credits to start the game with.
10) winner of the Tournament and top player in each category would go in a new thread called 'the Winning Hall of Fame' on the boards.

So that is my dream hunter's tourney idea.

For those that are builders, perhaps you would like to see a Tournament that showcases building instead or for other hunters, you might have some better ideas on how a Tournament universe could be created as a level playing field that measures skill.

Either way, I thought that I would post this thread as a start to generate ideas of what players would like to see in Tournament Universes in one thread given the current reaction to the one proposed by BFG.

;D

Offline Big S

• View Profile
Re: Help Create your Dream Tournament Universe
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 07:53:12 PM »
Only comment I will make here, since I've already stated my opinion about tokens elsewhere, is about the mining output.

I think its actually backwards and paradoxical. People go for what has higher return. If building a mine has even higher output, people will build more mines first. If mines stop paying back at lower levels, then people will resort to stealing res from others more quickly.

I think there is good evidence for this. I remember how X was in the beginning. There was a ton of activity very early on. There was a lot of Apollo battles early. Then Pos battles. Then Athena battles. I remember some of the first proms I saw from a guy who skipped Hades and went for Prom techs and he was ravaging everyone around him with just 20-30 proms.

I didn't play uni2 or X2, but from what it sounds, players focused on infrastructure first, then fighting later.

Point is, I honestly don't think higher mine output is going to do what they want it to do. I think it will make the value of mining higher, when I think what most people want out of a tourney is a smash up derby.
Quote from: \"Evan Woodard\"
I\'m pretty sure that\'s just D-baggery.

Offline Ronin

• View Profile
    • The Tourny:)
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 08:24:15 PM »
Part of the fun of a new uni is the build race and who goes for what first on.

I wont join a uni that I have to submit a fee for. I might, however, join a uni that starts from scratch with high speeds so long as there are a few prizes for the winners.

My onlu objection to the new tourny is the lack of a prize. Also the higher the mine output the better in my opinion to get the uni going quicker. I wont play a 4 month uni that I cant get into quickly.

Offline Bravicus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 11:57:26 PM »
1)  The tourney uni's speeds and mines are all good as is, the uni itself should be limited to 7 galaxies.  No moons.

2)  Each player picks out their planets at start of uni on a first come first serve basis.  All planets have 180 fields but temps differ depending on slot.

3) Each player starts out with the equivalent of 10m hydro which they can customize to their liking via merchant rates.

4) In the first hour of a player's game play everything instabuilds.

5) Tourney lasts 5 months, winner of each category gets a badge that shows up in every other sfc uni they play.

It doesn't really matter to me if there are npcs or not but I do not want to see the lucky draw at all.
Everything I say is likely a couple of years out of date

Morat

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 08:59:33 AM »
Instead of a Uni with 10 galaxies (or whatever), each of 499 systems, why not have a tournament in a 'cluster' of 100 x 100 systems? That's the same number of systems as 20 galaxies, but the maximum distance between systems is 141. That'd be a lot more interesting all by itself.

Offline Andrea Nard1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 09:51:41 AM »
Morat great idea!!!!

Offline Alna-Shok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 12:55:52 PM »
Instead of a Uni with 10 galaxies (or whatever), each of 499 systems, why not have a tournament in a 'cluster' of 100 x 100 systems? That's the same number of systems as 20 galaxies, but the maximum distance between systems is 141. That'd be a lot more interesting all by itself.

Holy grid-layout batman!! It's elegant, simple, and efficient. Brilliant!
I am a Ranger.
We walk in the dark places no others will enter.
We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
We live for the One, we die for the One.

Offline the enforcer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 01:41:12 PM »
My dream tourney uni would have all of the players from x1 ahead of me on the leader board go vmode then I. 8)