contact
April 01, 2020, 01:17:19 AM

Author Topic: Re: ARG (d)!!!  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Perseus

• View Profile
Re: ARG (d)!!!
« on: December 09, 2009, 12:55:45 AM »
Yeah, I have a couple systems by me that have all (d) people on every planet. Kind of frustrating, especially since I too am surrounded by Empire guys who could wipe the floor with me.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
Zeus\' killed: 2
Moons given: 2

Retired player

Peak rank: #147
Rank after quitting: ~1300

Offline goonburghandy

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 04:12:58 AM »
So there is safety in the back on the universe I take it? (From Empire)
This is my beer. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

I miss good sci-fi TV shows with epic space battles (Babylon 5, Battlstar), why won\'t they come back?...

Offline goonburghandy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 05:01:31 AM »
Typically I send my fleets out on long raiding missions over night to keep them from being attacked by 10 people I know of who are capable of attacking me, then I blow whatever money I have sitting around on what I need and sleep soundly at night...plus I have alot of laser turrets....maybe too many for someone my level(money could have gone elsewhere...)
This is my beer. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

I miss good sci-fi TV shows with epic space battles (Babylon 5, Battlstar), why won\'t they come back?...

Offline Jermoe

• View Profile
    • http://wiki.playstarfleet.com/index.php/Starfleet_Section_31
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 05:15:40 AM »
Nobody nearby to attack?  Sounds like its time to start another colony!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Starfleet Section 31 is an awesome alliance...which you didn\'t just hear about.

Players placed in n = 2, Players placed in d = 2

Offline Akkarin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 06:00:59 AM »
wow a post on D that someobody has complained about you picking on them and how they have a life and you don't.

D mode sucks and will be the death of the active players in the game,  its not much fun when they all go D at the first sight of you and you have to travel 30+ systems to attack sombody.

D mode needs more constraints to avoid those hiding in it.

Offline Angus Mengsk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 11:11:55 AM »
Hey, I like D mode during the week since I can't plan on when I'll be on during my internship. It's either that or vacation, and the later is a no go.
And I go out of it during the weekend in case somebody has anything to say about farming. :B
Got a question about the game? Check out the wiki, it helps!

Offline Dzyu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 11:50:26 AM »
I don't always want to have to go home after work or university to HAVE to babysit my fleet, or be dependent of having internet access wherever I go. If that was the case I wouldn't have played this game. Besides, D-mode can be good for you, tactically, in catching up and climbing the ranks, depending on your strategy.

Offline SnapTite

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 12:26:11 PM »
Quote from: "Ben SMith"
I just felt I needed a (d) related rant...
After being hit by me more than once every single decent target in my area has gone into (d).
There's about 9 hittable planets left in 20 systems in either direction, not counting the "welcome centers" Empire has, as I can't realistically hit them until I've researched at least Prom (not quite there yet unfortunately.)
This has reduced me to Starfleet Farmville in my home system for the time being :(
Bad times.
Rant Over
Every game eventually reaches its equilibrium point.  If you make the game so heavily balanced in favor of offensive, players who do not want to play offensively will either quit or find other alternatives (diplomacy mode).  Raping and pillaging isn't nearly as much fun when you are the one being raped and pillaged.  You will see more active players if defenses are strengthened and alternatives to fleetsave are provided.
The price of peace is eternal vigilance.
Fleetsave is cowardice in the face of the enemy.

Offline Laggynate

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 12:42:31 PM »
Defenses don't need to be strengthened? They already do their job quite well. I think it's just most people are too stingy to shell out the resources to protect what they have. If you really wanted to you could even protect your entire fleet with a large enough shell.
If I have closed a thread that you feel shouldn\'t have been, feel free to send me a pm.
[size=50]As of 10/1/2010 I was able to build Prometheus for the first time[/size]

Offline dbmoreland

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 05:56:34 PM »

After being hit by me more than once every single decent target in my area has gone into (d).

There's about 9 hittable planets left in 20 systems in either direction, not counting the "welcome centers" Empire has, as I can't realistically hit them until I've researched at least Prom (not quite there yet unfortunately.)

This has reduced me to Starfleet Farmville in my home system for the time being :(

Bad times.

Rant Over

Help me out here. You blast every single decent target in your area MORE THAN ONCE and they take the only defensive action that they can and you complain???
What exactly did you expect them to do? Play the game just to feed you resources?

Offline Admiral Robodo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 06:16:14 PM »
Quote from: "dbmoreland"

Bad times.

Rant Over

Help me out here. You blast every single decent target in your area MORE THAN ONCE and they take the only defensive action that they can and you complain???
What exactly did you expect them to do? Play the game just to feed you resources?

Sounds like you got too greedy and now you are stuck in a perpetual d-zone! You gotta give the 'defenders' time to recover before hitting them again and in some cases just leave them alone. In doing so they wont run straight into d-mode but learn to survive by fleet saving instead. This in turn 'encourages' others d-moders to come out into the open since they can see that lotsa lower level actives around and NOT getting mauled all the time. Also have you not set up a colony or two in another galaxy as a backup?
Joined SFC: Oct 2009
Original Uni: Semi-retired.
Extreme: Retired.
Uni2: Retired.
Nova: Active

Offline joe mills

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 07:25:09 PM »
i've been playing a couple of months and only last week went into dip for family reasons, and shortly i'll be coming out of it. i've been bored stiff in dip, theres no fun to be had attacking and theres no sense of dread/anticipation checking for incoming attacks. dip is a good option used correctly but to many players are content to spend the entire game in dip. i'll probably go into dip again just before christmas to spend time with the family but i'll be back out again in the new year.

Offline Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 07:30:55 PM »
"From Akkarin;

wow a post on D that someobody has complained about you picking on them and how they have a life and you don't.

D mode sucks and will be the death of the active players in the game, its not much fun when they all go D at the first sight of you and you have to travel 30+ systems to attack sombody.

D mode needs more constraints to avoid those hiding in it."

Well Akkarin, if you would not just move into the areas that have small players still trying to get into the game, then wipe them out. Maybe they would actually stay out of D mode.

Just a thought since you were one f the ones that put me into D mode. LOL!!!
Give newbies the chance to curb stomp an old player, restart the old players \":twisted:\"

Offline samielb

• View Profile
    • http://www.twinwand.com
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 07:33:39 PM »
People please stop whinning about peolpe being in Dip Mode.

There are countless reasons why people use it, some are perpetual and some aren't.  It you constantly raid everyone around you before they get a chance to recover and now all of them are in Diplomacy who's fault is it really.

Honestly, the reality is the only person that knows the real reason people stay in Dip mode is the people using it.  Personally, I hate using it, but due to a technical problem I have no choice if I want to play the game.  I am sure there are other people that suffer from similar issues but regardless of the reason you have no choice but to accept their decisions.  So please stop whinning.  

This is like the fifth thread on the subject I have read today, and all of them were started today.
samielb

Quote from: \"Bravicus\"
Attacking people is lame.

probing is cool.

Offline Perseus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 08:02:49 PM »
I understand if you want to go D because of time constraints. Even people in the top 20 have to go to d mode sometimes, but people who are in perpetual D mode kind of annoy me. I cant believe that people who have the time to and want to play this game go d as soon as a bigger player sets themselves down right next to them. I was right next to Akkarin's colony in 3, he scanned me a lot, I always fleetsaved when I slept, I never messaged him after waking up to "Espionage Detected X6" (I know of idiots who would do that) and he left me alone. I play on my iPhone, and it takes no effort at all to deploy my fleet to my homeworld at 10% speed a couple times throughout the day either, so that helps. I started playing this game until I got Poseidons, got pummeled by a guy since I didn't know how to fleetsave, went into D mode, came out right before I had Hades. That was the biggest mistake i've ever made in a video game before.

On a side note, why can't we raid the taxes that people in D have on them? That would rule.
Zeus\' killed: 2
Moons given: 2

Retired player

Peak rank: #147
Rank after quitting: ~1300

birthmark-ant