contact
April 01, 2020, 12:57:26 AM

Author Topic: Re: ARG (d)!!!  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Perseus

• View Profile
Re: ARG (d)!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 08:04:43 PM »
Quote from: "Akkarin"
 Its not much fun when they all go D at the first sight of you and you have to travel 30+ systems to attack sombody.

There's a guy by me that hits vacation mode every time I scan him... :lol:
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
Zeus\' killed: 2
Moons given: 2

Retired player

Peak rank: #147
Rank after quitting: ~1300

Offline samielb

• View Profile
    • http://www.twinwand.com
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 08:27:35 PM »
Quote from: "Perseus"
I understand if you want to go D because of time constraints. Even people in the top 20 have to go to d mode sometimes, but people who are in perpetual D mode kind of annoy me.

Why is that?  Because you can't raid them.  That is part of the point of Dip Mode and the people using it are taxed 25 to 75 percent for the privilege.

I cant believe that people who have the time to and want to play this game go d as soon as a bigger player sets themselves down right next to them. I was right next to Akkarin's colony in 3, he scanned me a lot, I always fleetsaved when I slept, I never messaged him after waking up to "Espionage Detected X6" (I know of idiots who would do that) and he left me alone. I play on my iPhone, and it takes no effort at all to deploy my fleet to my homeworld at 10% speed a couple times throughout the day either, so that helps. I started playing this game until I got Poseidons, got pummeled by a guy since I didn't know how to fleetsave, went into D mode, came out right before I had Hades. That was the biggest mistake i've ever made in a video game before.

You are one of the lucky ones.  I have been in Dip Mode since the site update last week.  I hate using it, but if I want to play the game, I really have no choice because my browser sucks eggs and the site is no longer compatiable.  Yes, I could fleet save, but I would be saving for 18 hours a day and since I never know exactly when I will get to the computer I would risk being vulnerable for large periods of time.  That wouldn't make the make worthwhile for me.  On the other hand, having the option to move into a mode where I receive less is an acceptable option for me.  Now once I am in a situation where I get a new browser that will all change.

On a side note, why can't we raid the taxes that people in D have on them? That would rule.

I don't see a problem with this, except who do we pay the taxes to and who exactly would you be raiding?
samielb

Quote from: \"Bravicus\"
Attacking people is lame.

probing is cool.

Offline SnapTite

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 01:17:21 AM »
Quote from: "Laggynate"
Defenses don't need to be strengthened? They already do their job quite well. I think it's just most people are too stingy to shell out the resources to protect what they have. If you really wanted to you could even protect your entire fleet with a large enough shell.
With all due respect, I must say that defenses being adequate is a load of crap.  The evidence is exceedingly plain by the vast majority of players now hiding in Diplomatic Mode.  You can SAY that defenses are adequate all you care to but that doesn't make it so.  I was in the top 800 with defenses in the top 250 so I was not hardly being too stingy on defense.  Defense was my single over-riding priority and the fact that I was raped and pillaged at will and repeatedly proved to me the hopelessness of defenses.  I could make no technological research progress because I could only put resources into rebuilding destroyed defenses and then, only at the rate of 3 replaced for 4 losses before my next inbound attack destroyed everything again.  
You really need to open your eyes and see what is going on before you advise all that defenses are adequate, especially when defenses are so hopeless that diplomacy mode is the only hope of survival.
The price of peace is eternal vigilance.
Fleetsave is cowardice in the face of the enemy.

Offline dbmoreland

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 03:30:16 AM »
Quote from: "Ben SMith"
...explain how I am able to stay safe from being raped and pillaged while those around me are not safe from me? Is it because I have plenty of adequate defenses perchance?

I've been wiped out a grand total of once, I didn't complain, I just rebuilt.

(d) just removes all fun from the game. There should be a limit to how long you can stay in it.

It may remove it from someone who can be online whenever his fleet is NOT in transit and therefore is protected.
But if you cannot be online whenever your fleet is not in transit (for whatever reason, work school, wife, other interests, etc) then D mode is the ONLY way to keep it from getting destroyed by those who are online when you cannot be. So unless you only want this game to cater to those with very predictable schedules then let us have our D mode. With the 25%-75% penalty we can never compete with you for top rank anyway so what does it mater?

Offline Akkarin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 03:37:36 AM »
Quote from: "Craig"
"From Akkarin;

wow a post on D that someobody has complained about you picking on them and how they have a life and you don't.

D mode sucks and will be the death of the active players in the game, its not much fun when they all go D at the first sight of you and you have to travel 30+ systems to attack sombody.

D mode needs more constraints to avoid those hiding in it."

Well Akkarin, if you would not just move into the areas that have small players still trying to get into the game, then wipe them out. Maybe they would actually stay out of D mode.

Just a thought since you were one f the ones that put me into D mode. LOL!!!

lol I did tell you that it was an accident .. your Allaince name confused me.  I never knew there was a FU and a F U.

I confuse easy at the best of times  ;-)

Offline Pout

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 03:42:28 AM »
Quote from: "Ben SMith"

(d) just removes all fun from MY game. Boohoo.

*corrected.

Offline Laggynate

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 10:11:27 AM »
Quote from: "SnapTite"
Defenses don't need to be strengthened? They already do their job quite well. I think it's just most people are too stingy to shell out the resources to protect what they have. If you really wanted to you could even protect your entire fleet with a large enough shell.
With all due respect, I must say that defenses being adequate is a load of crap.  The evidence is exceedingly plain by the vast majority of players now hiding in Diplomatic Mode.  You can SAY that defenses are adequate all you care to but that doesn't make it so.  I was in the top 800 with defenses in the top 250 so I was not hardly being too stingy on defense.  Defense was my single over-riding priority and the fact that I was raped and pillaged at will and repeatedly proved to me the hopelessness of defenses.  I could make no technological research progress because I could only put resources into rebuilding destroyed defenses and then, only at the rate of 3 replaced for 4 losses before my next inbound attack destroyed everything again.  
You really need to open your eyes and see what is going on before you advise all that defenses are adequate, especially when defenses are so hopeless that diplomacy mode is the only hope of survival.
Might I suggest a better defense ratio then? If you don't put a few Gauss and Plasma behind the fodder, heavy tonnage ships such as Athena, Hades, Ares and Prometheus will just glaze right over your defenses like they didn't exist.
If I have closed a thread that you feel shouldn\'t have been, feel free to send me a pm.
[size=50]As of 10/1/2010 I was able to build Prometheus for the first time[/size]

Offline SnapTite

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 12:09:55 PM »
Quote from: "SnapTite"
Might I suggest a better defense ratio then? If you don't put a few Gauss and Plasma behind the fodder, heavy tonnage ships such as Athena, Hades, Ares and Prometheus will just glaze right over your defenses like they didn't exist.
Oh, I understand the concept of the defense ratio completely and I agree with it.  However, I STILL do not yet have the technology for a Plasma cannon (although I am now close) and I could only ever afford a couple gauss guns before my planet was completely wiped and I had to start all over.  Knowing the strategy does little good if your resources are continually removed before you can use them to implement said strategy.
The price of peace is eternal vigilance.
Fleetsave is cowardice in the face of the enemy.

Offline Laggynate

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2009, 12:39:54 PM »
You shouldn't be getting wiped out if you invest 2 days strait of production into defenses.
If I have closed a thread that you feel shouldn\'t have been, feel free to send me a pm.
[size=50]As of 10/1/2010 I was able to build Prometheus for the first time[/size]

Offline AlbertaBeef

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2009, 02:34:10 PM »
You shouldn't be getting wiped out if you invest 2 days strait of production into defenses.
Which one IPBM takes out rather quickly.

Offline Laggynate

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2009, 04:00:27 PM »
Quote from: "AlbertaBeef"
Which one IPBM takes out rather quickly.
Only if you don't build ABMs, which is ill advised.

Offline Aga

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 04:18:39 PM »
I just felt I needed a (d) related rant...

After being hit by me more than once every single decent target in my area has gone into (d).

There's about 9 hittable planets left in 20 systems in either direction, not counting the "welcome centers" Empire has, as I can't realistically hit them until I've researched at least Prom (not quite there yet unfortunately.)

This has reduced me to Starfleet Farmville in my home system for the time being

Bad times.

Rant Over

This is the most egotistical, self absorbed, petty post I've ever seen on any internet board.  Sounds like people higher level than you need to start farming your world to give you a more exciting game experience.

Offline Aga

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 04:40:29 PM »
It is very boring to be honest.  I always do it during holiday seasons since I don't want to have to deal with timing things but can usually break away long enough to log on and run my daily missions.  Usually somone raids one or two of my newer colonies with lighter defenses as I go in.  The hit in resources isn't so much due to the yeild loss in mines but in my inability to send out my fleets of herc's to raid inactives which accounts for the vast majority of my resource intake.

Offline poeticmotion

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2009, 06:18:25 PM »
Quote from: "Aga"
It is very boring to be honest.  I always do it during holiday seasons since I don't want to have to deal with timing things but can usually break away long enough to log on and run my daily missions.  Usually somone raids one or two of my newer colonies with lighter defenses as I go in.  The hit in resources isn't so much due to the yeild loss in mines but in my inability to send out my fleets of herc's to raid inactives which accounts for the vast majority of my resource intake.

That's why I have decided not to go into d mode when I'm out of town next week.

I should be able to log on a couple times a day to check on my worlds and fleet/resource save, so as long as I log on and send my fleets on long fleet/resource saves at least once a day, all I have to worry about is my production in between fleet/resource saves. Instead of paying a 25% tax per day on my resources, I'll put 25% of my resources into defense to protect my production.

Unlike the d mode tax, when I get back from my week away, those defenses I built will still be working. Unless someone punches them out, which would not be profitable with no fleet to crash and nothing but my overnight production to nab.

d mode makes sense if you'll have no internet access for more than a couple of days. Aside from that, why bother? Fleet/resource save and let your resources keep coming.
Uni2-PoeticMotion[ODB] Peak rank 24 peak DSP rank 9 ***RETIRED FROM SFC***

Offline Dargarath

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 07:08:28 PM »
I'm glad for diplomacy mode, I've played games without it (or where you have to pay for it).  I merchant and medieval re-enactment events on a regular basis. There is no internet in the middle ages.  If I can't disappear for the weekend without being beaten into the stone age, I can't play the game long term.  As for caps on it, that's just you wanting more easy pickings near you.  Go make a colony somewhere that else.  I'm tired of everybody wining about diplomacy mode.  My only suggestion would be to have the taxes go somewhere that others could get at it.
Officer of Bolo MK LXVI