contact
October 24, 2019, 02:00:54 AM

Author Topic: New User Interface  (Read 27860 times)

Offline Boris Alden

• View Profile
Re: New User Interface
« Reply #165 on: August 21, 2012, 05:15:47 PM »
To be honest I am not really in favour but see we have no choice....  Some plugin for firefox through things out so any issues turn them off one at a time.

It displays and functions ok in IE, Firefox anmd Chrome on Smart phone, tablet, mini laptop and work laptop.

Just the floaty bit bugs me and the meassages.  Prefered the messages and alliance stuff seperate, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Imagine driving down the road at 70mph and you refresh the screen on the phone, big shock lol.
Boris Alden
tlhLngan qLj yo'

http://www.klingonblackfleet.co.uk

Offline Jedi High General

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 21, 2012, 05:18:12 PM »
Kronin thank you for the G-time link. i can now see when my fleets are due back on game now. LOL.

Offline The Grinch

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 21, 2012, 05:23:08 PM »
For those that are interested, Matt has just said in Skype that the new UI is here to stay.  Get used to it or move on, BFG isn't interested in what you have to say

Offline Java Red

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 21, 2012, 05:24:02 PM »
Wouldn't it be really funny if we all indeed "moved on"... ?

Offline AL Muad'Dib

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 21, 2012, 05:26:53 PM »
I have to say I do not like the new UI. the fonts are smaller and not as user friendly. Being in Afghanistan, I was able to play on the office system. No Skype on there and will never be.
I did like the message notification of the older UI It did make it easy to see and know what type is there.  I Feel it would be better focusing on the game itself. The timing for some of the builds and such being over days and weeks really makes it hard to keep interest. Once a build goes over 48 hours it becomes hard to keep going. 
"Never tell the First Sergeant you have nothing to do."

Offline Kronin

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 21, 2012, 05:28:13 PM »
Matt's comments in Skype, for those that aren't there:

[8/21/12 11:13:19 AM] Matt Hirschfelt: We will not be returning to the old UI.

[8/21/12 11:18:03 AM] Matt Hirschfelt: It's not in our interest to continue to maintain two user interfaces. We've opted to continue our trend of updating the appearance of the game in an attempt to appeal to new users. While the change may be inconvienent to those familiar with the old layout, it's purely cosmetic and should not impair your game play. However, if an updated interfaces, combined with other updates, is able to help us bring in and retain new users than we'll take it. Because new users are vital to the continued existence of not only these Universes, but our company.

[8/21/12 11:18:57 AM] Matt Hirschfelt: If we were to change the existing Universes back to the old interface it would come with the caveat that they would not recieve new features or updates because we will not develop for two user interfaces moving forward.

[8/21/12 11:20:23 AM] Matt Hirschfelt: Current players are important, but without new players coming and joining the games will end much sooner.

Offline Tim B.

• Blue Frog Gaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 21, 2012, 05:32:50 PM »
HI I'm Tim and I am a developer here at BFG.  We have been wanting to get someone to give a development update on a somewhat regular basis on the forums for a while and with all of the feedback received about the new UI that went live today we thought it would be a good time to start.

First I want to explain our reasoning for the change.  We have had the new UI as well as the old one in the game for a month or so now with testing which retained new users better.  Unfortunately having two UIs is unsustainable for us on the development end.  New features we add were having to be designed and developed for two UIs, testing time was doubled, and the unintentional features(read bugs) were doubled.  In order to get you guys features faster and more reliably we decided to switch to one UI and we decided on the one that retained new users at a higher rate, because we think that growing the game and getting new blood playing is in the best interest of all.

I want the community to know that there thoughts expressed here are passed onto the team by Matt H.  I read the forums often, especially when releasing a new feature.  We have and will continue to use your feedback in the game.  I also understand that a point of contention is that the UI was changed recently.  This is not something that we have plans to again.  We believe the new UI gives a more modern, clean look and are happy with were it is as a whole

We are, however, open to tweaking the new UI.  I know that the message drop down is a point of contention, we are looking to ways to provide the same links in that small space.  Also, I have already seen complaints about Fleet counts not displaying on pages that used to have them.  Issues like that we will try to work quickly on resolving.  We encourage everyone to give constructive criticism about the new UI and any new feature that come out.  We will continue to work with our community to make SFC the best game it can be.

Thank you all for the passion for the game.

Offline cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 21, 2012, 05:36:46 PM »
I guess this means there wont be a new Universe rollout anytime soon??  BFG has used up all their code to confuse its veteran subscribers.  Zuck and Bill Gates would be proud.  This new update is obviously aimed at reducing time/costs at BFG and not at attracting new players to the game.  I wonder if the US had tried this technique to convert us all to the metric system, it would have worked...ummmm how many liters to a gallon???

kevin rhodes

« Reply #173 on: August 21, 2012, 05:38:08 PM »
haha thats really funny bfg +1000
suck it up bozos

Offline JaeBrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 21, 2012, 05:38:41 PM »
I logged on (which I rarely do) just comment that I dislike the new layout. Lame and silly looking. I miss and want the previous layout back.
Nova Uni > ign - DeathTaker.

Offline Inigo Montoya

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 21, 2012, 05:39:46 PM »
For those who wish to know how long you've had to try out the new UI and how long ago they announced it here is the thread for the April 12, 2012 updates that announced it was available.

http://forum.playstarfleet.com/index.php?topic=16460.0

People are here complaining that BFG doesn't let them know what is going on, but when they do it is ignored and then complained about because they didn't know. This thread was also pointed to ingame as maintenance threads have been for awhile now. Just thought I'd point that out.

Offline Sam Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2012, 05:40:41 PM »
Passion is gone, but as long as new members are happy. Who gives a shit about the existing players

Offline Zarathos

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 21, 2012, 05:40:51 PM »
Wouldn't it be really funny if we all indeed "moved on"... ?

Wow, I posted on here that we should go over to the other site that hosts a similar game as this one and they removed it.  LOL, classy BFG.

Offline Zarathos

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 21, 2012, 05:41:37 PM »
I wish I worked in a software company where we could come up with and deliver anything we wanted to the customers. We have committees of users who tell us what they want the software to do. Then we go by that. And then they give us feedback even before we implement it.

Offline WGW

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2012, 05:45:42 PM »
Why didnt you just say so? man that would been easy there BFG guy! I feel safe in speaking for 95% of your people PAYING THE BILLS TODAY, (or really does tomorrow matter?) when I say ... screw the new ui. Put it back the way it was.. period. We dont want the new ui, so there's your answer .. scrap it and keep developing the ui that WE WANT.

See . .so simple ... :)

“And he who wields white, wild magic gold is a paradox. For he is everything and nothing. Hero and fool. Potent, helpless. And with one word of truth or treachery, He will save or damn the earth. Because he is mad and sane. Cold and passionate, Lost and found”