contact
July 18, 2019, 02:48:33 AM

Author Topic: New User Interface  (Read 26388 times)

Offline Rufus Griffin

• Oh, you outta time baby!
    • View Profile
Re: New User Interface
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2012, 05:47:21 PM »
new UI seems to do just fine on my phone, but i'd like to reiterate, change the color for X2.  i'm in 3 universes, not sure why you needed different colors, but the red has to go...  when i look over and see the red and a ! from a message, every time i'm thinking i'm under attack.  maybe something along the lines of a soft purple?  i don't really care, as long as it's not something so alarming.
Phase 2
Extreme Universe 1
Peak:  #31, #17 DSP
Alliances: The Midnight Brethren, WHO

Extreme Universe 2
Peak:  #201, #97 DSP
Alliances:  NTA, xXx

Conquest
Alliance:  xXx

Tournament
I Am Meadowlark
Season 1
Alliance:  Haters

Darkwing Duck
Season 2
Alliance:  MM, xXx

Offline Clyde69

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2012, 05:48:32 PM »
This got boring. As Inigo Montoya says, notification of the new UI was posted months ago. It's not BFGs fault that only a few people read the forum. There are currently 5 threads all bitching about this as well. If you've nothing constructive to say, shut up FFS. It's not going away.

@Zarathos - I wish I worked for a company that did software where the users told us what they really wanted, all in one go. Instead, we get drip-fed information (normally irrelevant or just plain wrong), & then screwed over when the next bit comes along. Most software companies do deliver the product they want to put out.

Offline Zarathos

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2012, 05:50:12 PM »
For those who wish to know how long you've had to try out the new UI and how long ago they announced it here is the thread for the April 12, 2012 updates that announced it was available.

http://forum.playstarfleet.com/index.php?topic=16460.0

People are here complaining that BFG doesn't let them know what is going on, but when they do it is ignored and then complained about because they didn't know. This thread was also pointed to ingame as maintenance threads have been for awhile now. Just thought I'd point that out.

Can you please tell me where in your forum link does it say, "Eventually you will be forced to use this new UI so if I was you I would start to play with it and get used to it now."  I can't seem to find it anywhere. All it says is that we have the option to use the new uni if we choose too.  And I'm sure most of us didn't.   

Offline g0ld3n3y3

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2012, 05:50:49 PM »

In order to get you guys features faster and more reliably we decided to switch to one UI and we decided on the one that retained new users at a higher rate, because we think that growing the game and getting new blood playing is in the best interest of all.

We have and will continue to use your feedback in the game.  I also understand that a point of contention is that the UI was changed recently.  This is not something that we have plans to again.  We believe the new UI gives a more modern, clean look and are happy with were it is as a whole

Ok so what are your plans with the new ui on the older universes? I keep seeing that bfg
reckon that the new ui retains new players better? Which layout did new players get started with consdering you had to turn the new layout on in game options.

You want to get new blood into the game and you think a different ui will do this? Wheen because of this change your going to lose quite a few of the old school

Offline StuartO

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2012, 05:53:02 PM »
Am I missing something? Is there subliminal messaging in this new interface that stops new players leaving???

Back in Uni 1's heyday, over 180000 players were using the old interface without complaint. And most of them were staying until they got there stuff blown up, not leaving because the interface wasn't pretty enough

Offline Zarathos

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2012, 05:56:05 PM »
This got boring. As Inigo Montoya says, notification of the new UI was posted months ago. It's not BFGs fault that only a few people read the forum. There are currently 5 threads all bitching about this as well. If you've nothing constructive to say, shut up FFS. It's not going away.

@Zarathos - I wish I worked for a company that did software where the users told us what they really wanted, all in one go. Instead, we get drip-fed information (normally irrelevant or just plain wrong), & then screwed over when the next bit comes along. Most software companies do deliver the product they want to put out.

Damn, I have been working at the wrong place then.  I need to get a job at one of those companies.  It would be so much easier if we could just do anything we wanted without getting feedback. 

Offline Lord Popo

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2012, 05:56:13 PM »
The main issue is that BFG has not released an app for phones and tablets yet. Currently those of us who primarily play via such portable devices have simply had to make due with the old layout. It was challenging and frustrating at times, but we were able to eventually get done what we wanted.
I tried this new layout for a week to see how it worked, and it did not go over well at all. I was constantly getting fed up with badly placed menu items. font-weight:bold doesn't make it any larger than 14px on a cell phone screen and when all the menu items are the same size and so close together touch screens make life frustrating enough to not care if you get attacked.
Understandably Matt, you want a more sleek looking layout for "new" players. I'd like to say that would work, but game mechanics and content are more important than fancy design elements. If the game is lame the look isn't going to make it any better.(Take a look at your predecessor O-Game, fancy graphics poor mechanics ) So lets try focusing on improving the game mechanics and maybe a little extra marketing, cause I haven't seen a single ad for SFC anywhere and to be honest if I were a new player I wouldn't waste my time searching for this game.
So give a bit more time to think about the layout and try making the game more mobile friendly, stop using png files they are far to large for internet purposes (that's week 2 in Web Dev class), look into advertising other than word of mouth, and have a big brainstorm with current users about game mechanics.

Offline The Grinch

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2012, 05:57:22 PM »
HI I'm Tim and I am a developer here at BFG.  We have been wanting to get someone to give a development update on a somewhat regular basis on the forums for a while and with all of the feedback received about the new UI that went live today we thought it would be a good time to start.

First I want to explain our reasoning for the change.  We have had the new UI as well as the old one in the game for a month or so now with testing which retained new users better.  Unfortunately having two UIs is unsustainable for us on the development end.  New features we add were having to be designed and developed for two UIs, testing time was doubled, and the unintentional features(read bugs) were doubled.  In order to get you guys features faster and more reliably we decided to switch to one UI and we decided on the one that retained new users at a higher rate, because we think that growing the game and getting new blood playing is in the best interest of all.

I want the community to know that there thoughts expressed here are passed onto the team by Matt H.  I read the forums often, especially when releasing a new feature.  We have and will continue to use your feedback in the game.  I also understand that a point of contention is that the UI was changed recently.  This is not something that we have plans to again.  We believe the new UI gives a more modern, clean look and are happy with were it is as a whole

We are, however, open to tweaking the new UI.  I know that the message drop down is a point of contention, we are looking to ways to provide the same links in that small space.  Also, I have already seen complaints about Fleet counts not displaying on pages that used to have them.  Issues like that we will try to work quickly on resolving.  We encourage everyone to give constructive criticism about the new UI and any new feature that come out.  We will continue to work with our community to make SFC the best game it can be.

Thank you all for the passion for the game.

Hi Tim.  Glad to see after working for BFG so long, and ardently reading the forums looking for feedback, you've finally decided to make a post.  The story of your bravery shall be archived on a toilet roll.

As has been discussed ad-nauseum on skype, there has been no evidence presented that backs up your position that the new ui has a positive effect on player retention, user enjoyment, functionality, or money-extraction from Boris or WGW's wallets.  You can claim the sky is purple all you want, but while the clouds of BFG's ulterior motives remain in place, we will continue to assert that they are blue.

I'd pay to see it rain blue frogs from those sky-hiding clouds....

Offline WGW

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2012, 05:58:32 PM »
In advertising, that is referred to as "the hook". As it relates here...

1. Somehow it magically draws and retains new players - not SEO, not advertising, not keeping the players happy, just the pretty screen!

2. For some odd reason, game code is so far ahead of the old UI that features for it could not be developed, they must be running Windows 2,444,121 with service pack 2.0B.

Neither of the reasons given are in the least legit. period. So quit selling that BFG - we ain't buying it. Too many of us have programming experience to buy #2, and you dont have any new users to speak of, so there goes #1 as well.  If you want to survive as a company, I'd suggest you worry a little more about us, the ones that are here today, or you may very well face a seriously bleak tomorrow.... because God help you if a game comes out that does keep its players happy .. you'll have no more worries about bandwith the next day.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 06:01:08 PM by WGW »

“And he who wields white, wild magic gold is a paradox. For he is everything and nothing. Hero and fool. Potent, helpless. And with one word of truth or treachery, He will save or damn the earth. Because he is mad and sane. Cold and passionate, Lost and found”

Offline SOAB

• Beware of the Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2012, 06:00:31 PM »
Don't like the interface and want to be able to swap FROM it to the old.
The interfaceswap was the main reason I stopped liking ogame, that I played for 6+ years, and then subsequently left.

The main reason I liked SFC was just that it had the OLD LOOK. Thats what I really really liked and enjoyed. Most others did too and which is why ogame had a big drop in players when they released their redesign.
All this semi-flashy-stuff that doesnt work that well with my smart phone nor appeals to me just aint gonna cut it.

Call it unsupported or whatever you guys like but let us use the old one. The functionality shouldnt be hampered to much of that. And if you guys bring it back. Be sure to check on how many were using the new interface and then the old. That should say something. ;)
The query bfg would have the db-guy run should be simple enough.

Offline Inigo Montoya

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2012, 06:01:32 PM »
Can you please tell me where in your forum link does it say, "Eventually you will be forced to use this new UI so if I was you I would start to play with it and get used to it now."  I can't seem to find it anywhere. All it says is that we have the option to use the new uni if we choose too.  And I'm sure most of us didn't.   

This thread was started August 6th and stated that they were going to the new UI. While they didn't announce it in game it was an option for people to try out for months and give feedback on to make improvements on. Just because no one did does not make it BFGs fault for us not doing so. I'm at fault for that as well since I did try it and switched back almost immediately without looking for ways to improve it. Let's try being constructive on how to improve this one and stop the b****fest that this thread descended to.

Offline White Beard

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2012, 06:02:28 PM »
Overall, I like it, but have to agree with the concerns about new messages and alliance posts.  I suggest breaking out the alliance section from the drop down and placing it on the menu bar to the right of messages or on the far left...

The JTIntel script will have to be re-written to work around this...

Offline Zarathos

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2012, 06:02:52 PM »
You can claim the sky is purple all you want, but while the clouds of BFG's ulterior motives remain in place, we will continue to assert that they are blue.

Yeah!  "THERE.....ARE......FOUR.......LIGHTS!!"

Offline Boris Alden

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2012, 06:06:26 PM »
For Tim the Dev.

Any reason we have a LogOut Button sticking out the right side......

Can this not be tucked in neatly or removed altogether.  I never logout.

This would make the UI more user friendly on portable devices.  (ie my mobile phone at 80mph)
Boris Alden
tlhLngan qLj yo'

http://www.klingonblackfleet.co.uk

Offline WGW

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2012, 06:07:35 PM »
This thread was started August 6th and stated that they were going to the new UI. While they didn't announce it in game it was an option for people to try out for months and give feedback on to make improvements on. Just because no one did does not make it BFGs fault for us not doing so. I'm at fault for that as well since I did try it and switched back almost immediately without looking for ways to improve it. Let's try being constructive on how to improve this one and stop the b****fest that this thread descended to.

I think you missed the point. We (well the majority of users -1 now) don't want this ridiculous interface, and since we're the ones who have to stare at that mess and try to make the spaghetti code behind it actually functional, I don't see people shutting up at all about this, as least I hope the band keeps playing till the audience goes batshit and sees that it's more important to be effective than right.

“And he who wields white, wild magic gold is a paradox. For he is everything and nothing. Hero and fool. Potent, helpless. And with one word of truth or treachery, He will save or damn the earth. Because he is mad and sane. Cold and passionate, Lost and found”

birthmark-ant