contact
July 18, 2019, 03:28:16 AM

Author Topic: New User Interface  (Read 26389 times)

Offline Zarathos

• View Profile
Re: New User Interface
« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2012, 06:10:04 PM »
This thread was started August 6th and stated that they were going to the new UI. While they didn't announce it in game it was an option for people to try out for months and give feedback on to make improvements on. Just because no one did does not make it BFGs fault for us not doing so. I'm at fault for that as well since I did try it and switched back almost immediately without looking for ways to improve it. Let's try being constructive on how to improve this one and stop the b****fest that this thread descended to.

Ok, so we had 2 weeks notice about the switch?  And not all of us read the forum.  And if I had known in that original post from April that it was inevitable that this new UI was going to be forced on us, I would have provided feedback much earlier.  Like that I didn't want to switch at all.  Like I said, in the post from April it said we had a choice of which layout we wanted to use.   

Offline Boris Alden

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 21, 2012, 06:12:26 PM »
Just noticed resources do not show in red as over storage levels.....  Is this correct or is something broken..
Boris Alden
tlhLngan qLj yo'

http://www.klingonblackfleet.co.uk

Offline MO

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 21, 2012, 06:13:06 PM »
Not happy with the new layout.  Liked the old.  Don't like being forced to change!

Offline cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2012, 06:15:31 PM »
Yeah!  "THERE.....ARE......FOUR.......LIGHTS!!"

No, Look again Picard...how many lights do you see now?...lol

Offline mlugo

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 21, 2012, 06:15:49 PM »
the new UI is ok takes a while getting use to it. i do have issue using the new UI in a smartphone. so most likely i will be frs a lot longer than usual. it will be a lot harder to play on the smartphone. another problem is some of the script that we are using does not work. im sure they will fix this soon but this interface has been an option for few months how come there is any script for it yet if a lot of people were using it? my opinion is instead of them trying to create a new look for the game they should have been looking for a better way to improve the game.

Offline The Grinch

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 21, 2012, 06:16:03 PM »
Just noticed resources do not show in red as over storage levels.....  Is this correct or is something broken..

that's how it works klingon scum

Offline Zarathos

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 21, 2012, 06:18:59 PM »
No, Look again Picard...how many lights do you see now?...lol

LOL, your right, I think a 5th one IS showing itself. ;-)

Offline Wes Robinson

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 21, 2012, 06:19:20 PM »
HI I'm Tim and I am a developer here at BFG.  We have been wanting to get someone to give a development update on a somewhat regular basis on the forums for a while and with all of the feedback received about the new UI that went live today we thought it would be a good time to start.

Old pundit gets burnt in an all out lie just roll out another one. You guys really need to get out of the gaming business and become political advisers.

First I want to explain our reasoning for the change.  We have had the new UI as well as the old one in the game for a month or so now with testing which retained new users better.  Unfortunately having two UIs is unsustainable for us on the development end.  New features we add were having to be designed and developed for two UIs, testing time was doubled, and the unintentional features(read bugs) were doubled.  In order to get you guys features faster and more reliably we decided to switch to one UI and we decided on the one that retained new users at a higher rate, because we think that growing the game and getting new blood playing is in the best interest of all.

There really is not reason to maintain two UIs, Tim. Since the overwhelming response from players is "WE LIKE THE OLD ONE!"

I want the community to know that there thoughts expressed here are passed onto the team by Matt H.  I read the forums often, especially when releasing a new feature.  We have and will continue to use your feedback in the game.  I also understand that a point of contention is that the UI was changed recently.  This is not something that we have plans to again.  We believe the new UI gives a more modern, clean look and are happy with were it is as a whole

Oh we, the players, don't doubt you're listening, Nova proves that. However, what is apparent, is BFG's selective hearing. Proof of that is the response 'Sux it up, it's here to stay!' when you don't like the players opinions. We, the players, are thrilled you are so pleased with your new layout. It still doesn't change the fact we the patrons of the game don't like it.

Here's a business concept you developers might want to learn. When you shove something down your customer's throats they don't like, you're going to have fewer customers.

We are, however, open to tweaking the new UI.  I know that the message drop down is a point of contention, we are looking to ways to provide the same links in that small space.  Also, I have already seen complaints about Fleet counts not displaying on pages that used to have them.  Issues like that we will try to work quickly on resolving.  We encourage everyone to give constructive criticism about the new UI and any new feature that come out.  We will continue to work with our community to make SFC the best game it can be.

Try being constructive when 80% of what you post is either ignored, dismissed or spun for political purposes.

Thank you all for the passion for the game.

Thanks for nothing!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 06:24:13 PM by Wes Robinson »
Expect only what happens in the fight. That way you'll never be surprised.

Daily Mining Income: 157,091,180
on eradeon2.playstarfleet.com

Daily Mining Income: 80,170,740
on nova.playstarfleet.com

Offline Stratos

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 21, 2012, 06:20:08 PM »
I don't mind it too much but the new ore display ruins it for me i think that is one thing you should definatley change.

I liked the old colours to show you amounts it just looks kinda in the way at the moment.

Also is the messages box supposed to have some kind of dodgy rectangle around it?

Offline Inigo Montoya

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 21, 2012, 06:20:52 PM »
The warehouses not showing red is something that happened today. It was working properly yesterday so something changed when they forced the switch to all users. Hopefully the devs will have this fixed soon so that will be one less hassle lol. Don't know how this could've happened though seeing as how I'm not a programmer.

Offline John M.

• Blue Frog Gaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 21, 2012, 06:23:01 PM »
Hey everyone this is John Marks here.  I am the principle person responsible for running the Starfleet Commander project.  I wanted to take some time to communicate a few things to the community.  I want to explain why we chose to go with this new UI, give you a few ideas of where we plan to go next, as well as respond to a few statements from the forums.

First of all I would like to say that we have two very distinct goals in everything that we do with Starfleet Commander.  The first goal is to make the game more appealing for new players.  We believe that in order for SFC to thrive we need to get more and more new players interested.  This is good for old players as well. It gives you more targets, more alliance mates, and more students to teach the ways of SFC. Our second goal is to try to constantly improve the game experience for our existing users.  When we decide what features to work on we do so with one of these two goals in mind, and when we are lucky when we can work on a feature that address both goals.  Our recent overhaul of NPCs is an example of one in which we have tried to make the NPCs better for new people to advance as well as making them remain a challenge to established players in all universes.

So how do these two goals relate to this UI Change?  We wanted to create a user interface that is less intimidating to new players as well as retaining the functionality for old players. Testing has shown that this UI is more appealing to new users. This directly lines up with our first goal.  As for our second goal the benefits are a little harder to explain. 

The main way going to one UI helps old players is by allowing us to significantly reduce development time on new features.  As of now every time any new system affects the UI we have to change it in two places.  We are currently working on a large overhaul of the quest system in which this started to show up as an issue. We believe that going to a singular UI will make it easier for us to develop more new features and therefore increase your overall game experience.

I want to make it clear that we are very interested in your feedback and that we do listen to what you say. Going forward we are committed to continually improving Starfleet Commander with your help.

We are very interested in working with you to improve this new UI so that it is better than any previous UI.  I have already seen a few common complaints about the UI in the forums that we plan to look into (fleet counters/ message counters).  I also want to make it clear that we want the same thing as you do.  We want the game to be more fun and to improve over time.

I also want to address some of the specific comments I have seen on the forums. One I have seen is that we should leave the old universes be and use the new UI only in newer universes.  The reason we continue to update the old universes is that we want our old users to be able to enjoy many of the new features that we develop.

Another common complaint about the new UI is the messages dropdown. We plan on looking at this going forward to make it more functional. The main reason this was put in a dropdown, was to make the UI less overwhelming.

We are very interested in hearing your suggestions on how you would improve player retention. Feel free to post them and we will read it. I know a lot of hardcore Starfleet players don't care about aesthetics, but the purpose of aesthetics is not to make the game better, it is to get people who might really like the game interested enough to try it.  For us getting new players is more about people giving the game a chance than it is actually liking it once they do try it.

I would like to thank the people who took this with a cool head and who support us.  I would also like to thank you all for the passion you show for our game.  The fact that you get so heated about this change is a good thing. It shows that we have users who really love to play this game and they care about it.

Offline Big S

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 21, 2012, 06:23:35 PM »
This thread was started August 6th and stated that they were going to the new UI. While they didn't announce it in game it was an option for people to try out for months and give feedback on to make improvements on. Just because no one did does not make it BFGs fault for us not doing so.
If you are going to point that out, you should also recognize that much of the feedback that is being mentioned today has already been mentioned before... message box issues (several)...not touch screen friendly...fleets not being listed at top...fleets not being listed on the missions screen...resources box issues...cramped space for planets...

So by my recollection, BFG had time to fix those before forcing the switch to the new UI. No??
Quote from: \"Evan Woodard\"
I\'m pretty sure that\'s just D-baggery.

Offline Doctor Strange

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 21, 2012, 06:24:27 PM »
Has anyone tried to slow probe with this new interface. Sucks to do. Thanks for ruining one of the most helpful strategies in the game. Really sucks the fun right out of it.

Offline SN@FOO

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 21, 2012, 06:24:43 PM »
Ok so were stuck with this crap UI. As a compromise to force feeding us this garbage, how about all you down at BFG give us your in-game names? That way the entire SFC populous can descend upon you and give you the beat down you deserve.  ;D   

Offline Sam Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 21, 2012, 06:27:33 PM »
So BFG want one UI, fine, go for what we want..

birthmark-ant