contact
July 24, 2019, 02:36:40 AM

Author Topic: New User Interface  (Read 26518 times)

Offline ccc343

• View Profile
Re: New User Interface
« Reply #270 on: August 21, 2012, 08:17:37 PM »
Recurring theme..Unilaterally do what we want (BFG) when we want and to heck with the users..They will play anyway. We, the players, have proven this time and time again. We keep coming back and continue playing and paying.

I am trying hard to stop but I admit..I have a SFC problem..The 1st step of recovery is admitting I have a problem.

Morat

« Reply #271 on: August 21, 2012, 08:22:37 PM »
We are, however, open to tweaking the new UI.  I know that the message drop down is a point of contention, we are looking to ways to provide the same links in that small space.  Also, I have already seen complaints about Fleet counts not displaying on pages that used to have them.  Issues like that we will try to work quickly on resolving.  We encourage everyone to give constructive criticism about the new UI and any new feature that come out.  We will continue to work with our community to make SFC the best game it can be.

Thank you all for the passion for the game.

As has already been pointed out, BFG have had 4 months to 'tweak' the new UI based on feedback posted elsewhere on this forum. Every issue raised in this thread has already been raised elsewhere, yet the new UI was made compulsory without taking any of that feedback into account. One would think that minimizing a completely predictable firestorm of negative feedback would be high on someones list...  ::)

I wish I worked in a software company where we could come up with and deliver anything we wanted to the customers. We have committees of users who tell us what they want the software to do. Then we go by that. And then they give us feedback even before we implement it.

@Zarathos - I wish I worked for a company that did software where the users told us what they really wanted, all in one go. Instead, we get drip-fed information (normally irrelevant or just plain wrong), & then screwed over when the next bit comes along. Most software companies do deliver the product they want to put out.

Designing software that users want is an art, not a science. The people who think they know exactly what they want (the users) generally can't speak Techie, don't understand coding, and don't really know how software can improve their jobs, so they need a translator to convert their wishes into techiespeak for the coders to implement. That's not something that can be taught in school. On the other hand, as BFG has said that a lot of their employees play SFC, you'd think that they'd have a far better understanding of what players actually want from the game.

I know a lot of hardcore Starfleet players don't care about aesthetics, but the purpose of aesthetics is not to make the game better, it is to get people who might really like the game interested enough to try it.  For us getting new players is more about people giving the game a chance than it is actually liking it once they do try it.

And there you have it. A clear and concise statement that BFG don't care whether new players like the game (i.e. the stuff about the new UI improving retention is pure BS), it's only important that they signup. Whether they quit after a week doesn't matter. And that's not from a forum Mod, that's from one of the founders and the COO of Blue Frog. The corollary is that neither do BFG care about whether existing players like any changes. The odd thing is that you can't SEE the UI without signing up first, apart from a few pics on review sites, so what John M. is saying is that the UI change is purely advertising. If BFG don't care if people quit after signing up, and they know hardcore players don't care about aesthetics, then there's no other reason for it.

When it was first introduced, I said the new UI was prettier but less functional. Fix the functionality and fine, I'll get used to the cosmetic changes. That's still true, fix the basic functionality and making it prettier is cool. But you've had four months to fix the functionality. Why would anyone at BFG be surprised at the response you're getting here?

I've been playing SFC for 2 1/2 years, and quite honestly I'd have quit long ago if it weren't for some of the scripts available that take the mass of gruntwork arithmetic out of the game. Scripts like AddResTotal, for example. Or the ability to see how long it would take to recall my Heph without having to write the travel time down on a piece of paper when I launch it and manually calculate it. Why not add some of these things into the game? They're trivial additions that make a huge difference to the user experience. Why not make the game more functional? Easier to play? Without relying on unpaid third-parties to provide services that retain players for (and therefore provide revenue to) BFG.

Offline KesserIII

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 21, 2012, 08:23:09 PM »
i hate the new arrangement.

Offline Crazy Critter

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 21, 2012, 08:26:09 PM »
I think we should have been given more warning on this, We should have been able to give you feed back before you made this stupid error. All you have done is annoy your customer base again and its getting rather pathetic that you dont do a poll or research before changing. Its seriously time to consider leaving the game, Whats the point in supporting a company and game if what we say falls on deaf ears all the time??

Offline Chrystal Dawn

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 21, 2012, 08:27:28 PM »
FOUND ANOTHER OOPS MATT...

No member count on the Alliance page.

Offline Zarathos

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 21, 2012, 08:29:45 PM »
Ok, I disabled all of my scripts and it's not as bad as before, seems those scripts were causing major havoc with my screen.  If the scripts get fixed soon I can probably live with it.  If not I'm staying in d mode.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:37:54 PM by Zarathos »

Offline Zarathos

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 21, 2012, 08:34:07 PM »

I've been playing SFC for 2 1/2 years, and quite honestly I'd have quit long ago if it weren't for some of the scripts available that take the mass of gruntwork arithmetic out of the game. Scripts like AddResTotal, for example. Or the ability to see how long it would take to recall my Heph without having to write the travel time down on a piece of paper when I launch it and manually calculate it. Why not add some of these things into the game? They're trivial additions that make a huge difference to the user experience. Why not make the game more functional? Easier to play? Without relying on unpaid third-parties to provide services that retain players for (and therefore provide revenue to) BFG.

Exactly.  Doing your own scripts/additions would be huge BFG.  Much more valuable than moving a menu or other stuff around on the screen to make it more confusing. Meanwhile I will be staying in d mode until the third-party script makers fix their stuff to work with the new UI. 

Offline cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 21, 2012, 08:48:14 PM »
Just out of curiosity, is BFG planning on doing a new marketing campaign to attract new users now that this update is permanent?  If so, where will the advertising take place?  Just on FB or elsewhere. Has there been any thought about bringing the CADET alliance concept over from SDE to Starfleet?

Offline angelblue

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 21, 2012, 08:49:41 PM »
The color arrangement in x2 isn't great. Because of all the red (so I can tell I'm playing x2, since I'm too stupid to know that otherwise) attacks aren't as easy to pick up as they should be. The red triangle is smaller, and the currently active planet is also outlined in red.

http://awesomescreenshot.com/034ds2o38 is a sample.

Also, I don't like that the resource numbers are aligned to the left, not the right. That's not the proper way to display numbers anywhere.

Offline karl pilkington

• An Idiot Abroad
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 21, 2012, 08:52:48 PM »
I know you might have heard this before but i don't want to sound like a compete idiot.
Feedback for the change was taken from people clicking on "use new interface'.

Polls and forum posts are not considered sufficient relevant player feedback.
This is the position of BFG and Matt who is the feedback manager.

So now that we have pages of non relevant feedback can we have irreverent poll to confirm that the changes were wanted.

What does it do any better anyhow, nothing!.
So whats the point of that?.
Iv'e traveled the whole length of the Great Wall of China when i got to the end of it there was nothing, just ocean.
What was the point of that?.Lets all play the tournament.

Morat

« Reply #280 on: August 21, 2012, 08:54:30 PM »
Also, I don't like that the resource numbers are aligned to the left, not the right. That's not the proper way to display numbers anywhere.

Good spot. That's a big no-no, and makes it a tad hard to manually add up a column of numbers that aren't aligned. Like if you need to figure out how many cargos to fleetsave, for example. Or do BFG employees not fleetsave?

Offline Marty_McFly

• The Sense of Wonder...
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 21, 2012, 08:56:15 PM »
It is a waste of time arguing if the new user interface is better or worse, however BFG should not change the interface on older universes, players are used to that, and it is not fair to those that have been playing with the old interface for years. I am in favor however to make the new interface the standard and only one for new universes.

Same here. I tried it in the last month and found it uninteresting and very uncomfortable. So i decided not to use. Removing this change option is a big error from my point of view. On Nova or other new unis it may be ok. But not in X-1 X-2 or O-2 please. I simply dislike that ui.

O.K. It's harder to fix bugs with two ui's. But the new one seems not ready to use ATM. Please add more months for testing with both is my suggestion.

Offline Matt H

• Blue Frog Gaming
  • Community Manager
    • Facebook - matt.hirschfelt
    • LinkedIn - matthirschfelt
    • Skype - MattH_BFG
    • Twitter - MattHirschfelt
    • View Profile
    • Blue Frog Gaming
« Reply #282 on: August 21, 2012, 09:00:12 PM »
Quote from: Morat
And there you have it. A clear and concise statement that BFG don't care whether new players like the game

I believe you're misunderstanding what John is saying. We have a significant amount of data that shows our one-month player retention numbers are at or above most other games in the industry. However, our one-day and one-week numbers are significant lower. Our focus right now is improving those early game numbers because players that tend to stay for a week stick with the games. So as John said, our focus isn't on improving the 'like factor' of the game so much as it is improving the 'give us a chance factor'. We need the player to do more than open and than close the game once seeing it. If they do, most people tend to stick around and enjoy it.
Connect with BFG:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Official Website
  |
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
Connect with me:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
LinkedIn
Offline neco green

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 21, 2012, 09:01:17 PM »
I personally dislike your new lay out  >:( Why did u believe this would be good for game.  I've read somewhere that you done this to keep new members in for longer while not considering how the old members will feel about it  :(

I myself will be watching closely if things are not reverted back or we are not given option to revert back in options I will quit and i suspect there will be quite a few people following suit.

Congrats on what can only be called a screw up

Offline the red emperor

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 21, 2012, 09:03:01 PM »
Well i finally was forced into submission. my morning sign in was not pleasant. my friends that i introduced to the game were forced to use the new interface and were all jealous of the old one i had still been using. there is no point arguing, the decision has been made without me and will go forward.

Ruined the clean layout of the game time and local time with the help of eljer code. I absolutely hate the drop down on the messages. I could care less about a news asterisk that makes me click to see some sale when i think i might be under attack.

looks like the resources are not red when the capacity of a storage warehouse is full.

birthmark-ant