contact
November 14, 2019, 09:02:53 PM

Author Topic: Significant changes have been made to NPCs, including that they now will create  (Read 7912 times)

Morat

What gurgeh said. Top players who can hit the NPCs are making huge profits. Those who can't though because of high level mines are getting boned.

LOL! Well, only if they've got tiny or non-existent combat fleets. My Uni2 fleet is about 1/10 the size of most my rank, but it's still more than enough for a gate ninja on a top 100 player as that's what I built it for. It's emphatically *not* enough to hit most of the NPCs in my RSP tier, as I don't have an even balance between ships and mines. I hadn't reached that point yet and now I never will. I really don't care about not being able to hit those huge NPCs, it's not sour grapes about others success in the slightest, it's about changing a game beyond all recognition with no notice or consultation whatsoever, and about the effects of those changes in the very short-term. There won't be a long-term to worry about.

I was reminded yesterday that one of the basic principles of this game is balance.      You have to build mines and build fleet to be successful at more than one aspect of the game.      If you chose to sacrifice one for the other then that's what happens.

That's true, balance is certainly important. But isn't it equally important that if a player chooses a strategy, any mainstream strategy, then follows through with that strategy over a period of YEARS, then they should have a reasonable expectation that the ground rules of the Uni won't be ripped out from under them? I'm heavy on mines in Uni2 as I was building an account specifically for the end game there. I've no real interest in hunting or attacking active players any more, but I had the objective of getting to #1 at some point in at least one category in at least one Uni, and I had a reasonable chance of that.

New NPCs are hugely in favour of fleeters at the expense of everyone else. That's not balanced. Eventually, now, everyone will become a fleeter anyway, they've got no other valid option to take, but those fleeters that saw the initial introduction of NPCs are the ones that really run away with the goodies. Perfect place at the perfect time. No offence to you, Jacq, you're as entitled to your point of view as much as anyone else is, but you're one of the players seeing the most benefit.

Offline new starr federation

• View Profile
>>So why would you bother scanning???<<

i will tell ya Mama..because if i was going to then i wouldnt waste my time also it might not show who or where from.. but it still leaves a pretty good idea of who it is giving opportunity to lock on to their return.. make for more excitement and it would allow us or smaller guys to steal others debris..
:)

An nothing towards ya Sue..We go back to original and I like and Admire What a b@ss@ss chick you are at SFC but we all know ur kinda mad it jus made ur AWESOME ACCOUNT worth a lil less in value..lol Im sorry for that too..

but im for the new changes..

everyone knows i live on there and i havent seen this much activity since it began which to me is a GREAT thing..

im still going to push for Matt to change and separate the DSP on the leader boards to differentiate the difference..REAL  DSP is something to be proud of and u live and active players beware.. u are still on my menu..jus waiting for u to get sloppy or drop ur guard..

Watch out here i come..

Offline krown

• View Profile
>>So why would you bother scanning???<<

i will tell ya Mama..because if i was going to then i wouldnt waste my time also it might not show who or where from.. but it still leaves a pretty good idea of who it is giving opportunity to lock on to their return.. make for more excitement and it would allow us or smaller guys to steal others debris..
:)

How would you lock their return if you can't see where they are coming from?

AA - EMBRACE THE HATE

• View Profile
if ya know ur areas.. then it wouldnt be hard to launch on the persons moon right? its a gamble thats what would make it fun and challenging Krown :)
Watch out here i come..

Offline Redfrog

• View Profile
It seems to me that this NPC thing is going to impact those who are inactive the most.   I know a lot of people like to play like that.   I'm enjoying being able to find targets to attack.   It beats endless, waiting and probing.   BFG is at least increasing activity.   I like the idea of 2 sets of dsp, npc/ non npc.   BFG should really tune the NPC's.  Ideally weak players who are active should be able to increase the most.   BFG has all the math, they just need to run the numbers and tune it.

Offline Big S

• View Profile
If you are going to separate out NPC-DSP, then why count it at all? It's not a badge of honor that a person is the biggest NPC crusher of all time. If I were playing in a uni that kept track of NPC kill points, I'd be embarrassed. In fact, I'd really hope they wouldn't show the stat at all. It is ALMOST akin to how I would feel about having my money spent show up as a stat to others.

I totally agree it shouldn't be counted in with regular DSP...just that I also wouldn't want people to see it as a separate stat. The real answer is don't award NPC DSP at all.
Quote from: \"Evan Woodard\"
I\'m pretty sure that\'s just D-baggery.

Offline krown

• View Profile
if ya know ur areas.. then it wouldnt be hard to launch on the persons moon right? its a gamble thats what would make it fun and challenging Krown :)

I don't know if this comment/suggestion is serious or not. Honestly.

(facepalm)

AA - EMBRACE THE HATE

Offline Qwerty

• View Profile
It's hard but it is possible... If you know where their fleet is and you know the types of NPCs hittable for them to make a huge profit
Then basically all you need to do is watch those NPCs for debris or activity then calc what the return time might be, there's lots of guesswork and luck involved but I've done it once xD it's basically like locking a harvest frs
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 04:59:17 AM by Qwerty »

Offline krown

• View Profile
Harvest lock is completely different. You are dealing with one speed of one ship generally coming from the closest planet/moon since harvesters are so slow.

I can easily defeat a "semi-oracleable lock" by splitting fleet from different planet locations. According to new starr, you would see my fleet but don't know which planets they are coming from.

AA - EMBRACE THE HATE

• View Profile
the moral of the story is to mainly see if its under attack..they should give a view of the attacking ships and time but no launch origin..

id be tryin blind oracle locks like crazy..i love locking on to ppl and seeing them squirm..begging pleading to recall..lol hahaha its to make a new variable in the game..
all ya guys at BFG gotta do is try it out..no harm right?

And please hurry and make separate DSP on the leader boards..

and btw thanks for finally taking my advise from 2yrs ago and adding reduced gate cool downs with each lvl added..its nice..all though it sucks the gate cant be used while under construction..idk what ur reasoning was for that..but i think most would agree it sucks...lol
Watch out here i come..

Offline Sam Carter

• View Profile
They would not make seperate DSP in Nova, so they will not here. Live with it, your hard earned DSP over the last 2 years will be useless.

I'm looking to doubling mine in a week...

Offline BigDog Returns

• View Profile
I was reminded yesterday that one of the basic principles of this game is balance.      You have to build mines and build fleet to be successful at more than one aspect of the game.      If you chose to sacrifice one for the other then that's what happens.

lol mines are now useless jaq

the only good thing that could happen is people will have fleets that they cant save

« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:58:00 AM by BigDog Returns »
Sorry BigDog Returns, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
Posting privileges are suspended for 72 hours for continually posting in a non-constructive manner in violation of forum rules.
This ban is set to expire September 06, 2012, 12:43:28 AM.

Matt you even have stuffed this up 72 hours is not 84 do some math classes.

Thankyou for redoing the math ;-) and the reduction of the suspension of my posting privileges.

Offline Despicableme

• View Profile
What no one wants to admit is... Do you see the amount of people who are playing again!!! It has added excitement back to this game. Everyone seems to be coming out of the woodwork and playing again to get in on this. Like it was said above.. some people launch from planets or heph so O'lock possible, some people just keep going and going and can't possibly hold the amount they are getting.. bonus res for whoever hits them. Come on people we needed a change, we have asked for change and now that it is here... people are still bitching about it. Have fun and enjoy it!!
R.I.P Baby!!!

Offline Boris Alden

• View Profile
So you see a DF and you are going to launch on a fleet that may have caused it....

Your plan falls foul to not knowing what was sent and where the rest of a persons fleet may be.

However if you are right you may get some DSP or lose your whole fleet.
Boris Alden
tlhLngan qLj yo'

http://www.klingonblackfleet.co.uk

Offline krysst

• All Others Pay Cash
    • View Profile
I dont mind NPCs...I must agree that the rez is ridiculous in them and I dont like the fact that they award FULL DSP (dont mind the awarding of dsp but should be at a much reduced level).  I might not have been #1 or even top 10 in DSP but I was right there...somewhere around #25 or something...and worked hard to accomplish that... It does suck to see people who are not hunters fly past you now in DSP but hey...thats the way it is...we just gotta hit them too I guess...

My playtime had been dramatically reduced of late and loggin in 2 hours a day and able to hit something is pretty cool :) human or not!