contact
July 16, 2019, 06:42:50 PM

Author Topic: Significant changes have been made to NPCs, including that they now will create  (Read 7422 times)

Offline Big S

• View Profile
The counter point is this, and no one ever bothers to try to refute it, and I'd love to see someone try.

1) The runaway inflation that NPCs create means if you are primarily a player hunter, you have to now also do boring NPC farming to keep up, because plump or not, within a week, they will be so plump if they fall on you they will squash you. Having tons of live players doesn't help you a bit if they are all growing much faster than you. The math is in many of these posts for you or anyone else to attempt to refute.

Anyway the latest meme appears to insinuate people aren't able to adapt. Let's connect the dots ok? 1a) If you can hunt live players, you certainly can "hunt" NPCs. It's the same, except you don't have to slow probe or worry about ninjas or them coming online. The skills are a subset, not a superset. 1b) This is not fun. It's not a matter of challenge, its a matter of not being fun. 1c) If they liked playing games like this, they would already be playing Farmville. 1d) We take it as a sign since they aren't already playing farmville games, maybe they don't enjoy those games. 1e) adapting means playing a game that is no fun anymore. 1f) Games are supposed to be fun, not un-fun. 1g) complain, that the game that you made that used to be fun isn't fun anymore. 1h) no response means the final alternative becomes inevitable, quit.

Not because of lack of ability to adapt, but lack of desire to adapt to something that isn't fun.

2) About how many people are active. They are active playing a PvE game which in the old days they signed up for a PvP game. How long do you think the activity will last? We know from Nova that the activity quickly turns into a grind. In about a month those that were not very active will either have dropped back into activity, or be complaining about how boring and how much of a grind the game has become to try and keep up with those that have limitless time to spend raping NPCs.

I understand it is hard to see this point, if you haven't seen this happen before. It's like when a company focuses on short term revenue instead of long term profits. It's not a sign of health, it's actually a sign of sickness. In a few months it will actually be worse than what you were complaining about before the NPCs were changed.
Quote from: \"Evan Woodard\"
I\'m pretty sure that\'s just D-baggery.

Offline Big S

• View Profile
Player fleets will soon eclipse the size of NPC fleets making them nice juicy targets.
I would kindly suggest you review the details of the new NPC before forming an opinion based on certain assumptions. This is one of those that is in fact false. If you read Matt's post, they scale with players. So now, as player fleets get bigger, so do the NPC fleets. Thus it's inflating the growth on exponential scales. That's why if you want to hunt live players, you must likewise engage in hunting NPCs just to keep up.

Think of it like this. What happened to hunters in uni2 that didn't keep up with mining on some level? Meaning, hunters who had mines in the teens compared to those they hunt being in the high 20s and 30s? They became irrelevant because they didn't have enough fleet to keep up. To hunt you have to have mines as least somewhere close to those you are hunting, if you are playing for the long term. The same is true here, but even more true than the mining example. If you want to hunt, you have to grind first.

Offline Big S

• View Profile
There are 1,000+ other players in the game who do not post in the boards and we do not know their opinion. Your "FACTS" may not be as reliable as you want them to be.
I don't know a single person in my old Nova alliance that thinks these things are great.

It's true we don't know what everyone thinks, but it's also true that this is a sample of the larger population, and unless there is something that makes us as posters very different from those who don't, we are a sample of the population, and our opinions are a reflection of the greater population. Maybe there is a +/- figure, but it can't be too far off. The stronger point however, is about what this will do to the game longer term, rather than are people having fun now. I would concede the point about having fun for the moment, and return to the fact that we saw what this fun looks like a couple months down the road in the form of Nova. It's not the same fun after doing it for a couple months.

Offline krown

• View Profile
Actually before the NPC stuff I was gaining about 2-4 places per week.

I that is true, you don't think that gaining rank 4-5x your normal rate isn't right?

Of course not! You're gaining rank and getting lots of resources. All is good!

If you think I'm being a baby because I'm afraid of lower levels catching up to me so I rage quit, you're so wrong. In the week that NPCs came out, I jumped 7 ranks, had my heph with 13 BILLION OCH, about 4-5 BILLION resources spread over 9 planets. I had 7 out of 9 shipyards running 24 hours a day. I was hitting with my 900+ zeese so I was making pure profit on most of my hits.

The truth of the matter is I was climbing the ranks faster than you. You were making 10x your normal daily, while I was making 100x.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

THOSE are the facts.

AA - EMBRACE THE HATE

Ken Wagner

I won't ignore player targets just because NPCs are like shooting "immobile paper targets." I will hit any live player I can catch and hit profitably. I believe that the NPC creation will be modified in some way to lessen their impact. We all know BFG is a "change stuff now and see what happens later" thought process. I think those who bail out will regret it later should BFG change things closer to what was, and there are the ex-players either starting over or submitting tickets to get their accounts restored. I thank you all for the stimulating discussion and will now go back to ignoring the boards.

Morat

Offline Big S

• View Profile
Wrong picture Morat. That is Matt H and BFG. This is the picture for the players:

Morat

Point. I didn't think of that coz I always picture BFG as

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushroom_management
(substitute 'players' for 'staff')

birthmark-ant