contact
September 21, 2019, 05:47:03 PM

Author Topic: Significant changes have been made to NPCs, including that they now will create  (Read 7705 times)

Offline krown

• View Profile
Everyone assumes that AA are always out to bitch and complain about everything. We're not. We actually have an interest in maintaining the integrity and enjoyment of the game for everyone. We could all shut up, hit every NPC we see and inflate our scores and pat each other on the back on how skilled we are at hitting an AI target that doesn't fight back.

We don't do that because we aren't selfish players. People who continue to fight to keep ridiculously scaled NPCs in X2 are selfish, and only want to see this through for personal gains.

AA - EMBRACE THE HATE

Ali Baba

Nice speach

Morat

FYI -

http://forum.playstarfleet.com/index.php?topic=17924.0

And please let's not turn it into a personal fight.

Offline Fleet Pirate

• View Profile
My two cents...the new NPC's are not a good thing.  Nope, not a member of AA either.  I like playing by skill (hunting other players) not luck (being the first to see an NPC).  This changes the basic concept of the game to me.  However, I won't bitch without making a suggestion on how to maybe fix the problem.  I know BFG will NOT change things, so how about adding the ability to oracle the NPC's?  At least then I can chase player fleets.

Ali Baba

What I'd you could only moon the larger types of NPC???

Offline The Admiral

• View Profile
What I'd you could only moon the larger types of NPC???
Do you mean to ask, "What if you could oracle scan the larger NPC's?"  If so, that has been suggested before.  No idea if BFG plans on making that happen.  I seriously doubt it though, because that would put players' fleets in actual danger.
That is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your incoherent, rambling response, did you come close to making what could be considered a rational thought. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline Sean Sti

• View Profile
Glad I got out when I did...  I loved this game when hunting real life players. The trill of the hunt watching someone for days...  Getting up at 3 AM to land a big hit.   It is what made this game different.  It was not just about getting on the Xbox/PS3 and PvP'ing on other players in a death match.  One had to plan your real life around your FRS times...  Now it is Farmville or like any number of other games out there. :'(   

What is it that BFG says  Adapt or Die.  Will I have adapted...  I get to sleep in on Saturday and Sundays now. ;)

Sean

Offline Sam Carter

• View Profile
Those who think that this will give the smaller players a chance to catch up, you are wrong. You only need to look at the top players in Nova, where the hephs are overflowing were we can't spend the resources quick enough.  All the hard work is gone, mines become less important, when you can gain enough resources to double your fleet in a few weeks. (It only took a few days to do this in Nova)

Morat

It's the same in Uni2. I've made more than 10 days mine production (@ 40/33/34) in 12 hours, plus increased my DSP by almost 50%.

So far.

Once it's all spent, I'll have boosted my overall score (that took me 2 years to get) by about 10% in 12 hours.

Offline ...

• View Profile
I don't post much, but this is garbage, think about the ones who saved up, built their mines, took months to do, and now a few hits and you can out-produce all of my output. I got amazing mines, that are pretty much useless now.

Morat

I wasn't even gonna go there, but I spent 2 years building up huge mines for an endgame killer account in Uni2. Worthless overnight.

Offline Chekkin

• View Profile
I don't post much, but this is garbage, think about the ones who saved up, built their mines, took months to do, and now a few hits and you can out-produce all of my output. I got amazing mines, that are pretty much useless now.

Make sure you tear them down so your RSP falls. You will get more DSP from hits against NPCs.

>:( >:( >:(
Broseidon, bropollo, brometheus...

On the first day god created bros. On the second day god created hos.

Offline Despicableme

• View Profile
I think it will make things more interesting. People will be droping in with heph's to take some of these out. You can always o'lock the heph. It is great for smaller players who don't have a huge fleet that can compete with the larger players. They are all geared to size, so there is something for everyone. Like this one... Only a big boy could be taking this...

Encounter Large Floating Colony [X:XX:X] has:
* ore: 2,147,483,647 
* crystal: 1,282,227,382 
* hydrogen: 438,434,145 
================================
Total plunder: 1,934,072,587 (77363 herc / 386815 atlas)
Dios needed: 36178.9 (2,638,330.5 DSP)

URCATH'S SHIPS:
* Artemis Class Fighter: 10,765
* Atlas Class Cargo: 19,142
* Apollo Class Fighter: 4,861
* Hercules Class Cargo: 16,469
* Dionysus Class Recycler: 8,772
* Poseidon Class Cruiser: 10,865
* Athena Class Battleship: 7,341
* Ares Class Bomber: 3,985
* Hades Class Battleship: 1,674
* Prometheus Class Destroyer: 6,283
* Zeus Class: 8

DEFENSES: (10758 nukes needed)
* Missile Battery: 374,717
* Laser Cannon: 100,876
* Pulse Cannon: 10,720
* Particle Cannon: 6,986
* Gauss Cannon: 2,728
* Plasma Cannon: 2,101
* Decoy: 1
* Large Decoy: 1

TECHS:
* Armor Tech: 14
* Weapons Tech: 14
* Shield Tech: 14

The chance of your probes being intercepted is 51%

R.I.P Baby!!!

Morat

You'd have to be an idiot to send a Heph after an NPC when you can attack it with 100% safety from a moon. Anyway, if it's far enough away that it's worthwhile sending a Heph, it'll likely be gone by the time the Heph gets there.

Anyway (again), what are you doing wasting your ships on a Heph when you should have them on gates to respond to NPCs as soon as you see them in any galaxy?

Yes, they're geared to player size, but do you not understand that while a player ranked #1000 is making, say, 50m OCH from an NPC, a player ranked #100 is making 500m OCH? And how when the #100 rank spends the 500m OCH his NPCs get bigger as well? So his next one makes 550m OCH while the #1000 players next NPC makes him 55m OCH?

You start with a gap of 450m, and after one iteration it's a gap of 945m. And the gap gets bigger faster than you can keep track of it. If you've ever lived in a country that's had runaway inflation, ask someone who can remember it about what it was like. It's precisely the same thing, and it's Not Good.

Offline Matt H

• Blue Frog Gaming
  • Community Manager
    • Facebook - matt.hirschfelt
    • LinkedIn - matthirschfelt
    • Skype - MattH_BFG
    • Twitter - MattHirschfelt
    • View Profile
    • Blue Frog Gaming
We want to thank everyone who has provided us with detailed feedback over the past 24 hours regarding the 'new' NPCs in Nova, Universe 2, and Extreme Universe 2. We have been listening to your feedback and we are going to make a few additional changes to the 'new' NPCs so that we can continue to improve them for all players.

The primary goal of NPCs is to provide small and mid level players alternative opportunities to learn how to hunt, to find targets suitable for them to attack, and for them to gain resources to allow them to grow as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, we experience some difficulty in scaling the NPCs to accommodate this goal in universes such as Universe 2 and Extreme Universe 2 because of the newbie protection rules being used there.

The secondary goal of NPCs, and in particular these 'new' NPCs, is to increase activity in the games. This is being accomplished as is evidenced by the fact that a number of players have found a new or renewed interest in attacking (some making large gains on their previously small amounts of DSP) and are therefore playing the game more actively. We're aware that this activity may be inflated by the current algorithms that we are using to spawn NPCs, but we hope that even with additional changes that we will continue to see these higher activity levels in all Universes.

So what are we going to do with 'new' NPCs now?

First, we are going to change the formula we are using to determine resources on NPCs. The effect of this is that profit margins will be significantly higher on lower to mid level NPCs and significantly lower on the high level NPCs. We'll continue to make changes to this formula until we feel that it's right for all of the Universes and we hope that you'll continue to provide us with your thoughts and input regarding what you are seeing in the game.

Second, we are going to apply the newbie protection rule currently in use in Nova to NPCs in all Universes where the 'new' NPCs have been deployed. This means that in Universe 2 and Extreme Universe 2, once you break the 25,000RSP you'll be able to attack any players that are also over 25,000RSP. However, you'll only be able to attack NPCs that are 1/5th to 5 times your size until you reach 250,000RSP at which point you will then be able to attack NPCs that are 1/10th to 10 times your size. This effect will also be applied to other Universes when 'new' NPCs are deployed there.

These two changes taken in combination allow us to tailor the low to mid range NPCs to reach our goal of propelling newer players through the game while reducing the effect of NPCs in the later game and in turn restoring some of the player versus player aspect of Starfleet Commander that many of our more advanced players enjoy.

But what about DSP?

We want you to know that we have heard your feedback on destroyed ship points being awarded for attacking NPCs. While we believe that DSP is best awarded for only attacking active players, which is why Nova, Tournament, and any potential future Universes or Tournament Seasons will follow this practice, we understand that players in the older Universes have come to expect DSP for destroying any ships. So at this time, we've opted not to remove or alter DSP awarded for attacking NPCs. We believe that the changes noted above will lessen the impact NPCs on the DSP leader board, but we will continue to monitor your feedback. If necessary, we may place a modifier on DSP awarded for attacking NPCs so that you only receive a fraction of a point for destroying ships when compared to attacking live players.

We believe that these changes address many of the concerns being raised and we will continue to monitor the feedback from players and make additional changes as necessary. Thank you for your continued support and feedback.

We will be making the changes above at approximately 17:00UTC, but we will post an update when they are live.
Connect with BFG:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Official Website
  |
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
Connect with me:
Facebook