contact
November 28, 2014, 04:39:49 PM

Author Topic: BattleMentat  (Read 10620 times)

Offline FatBuddha

• View Profile
BattleMentat
« on: October 26, 2012, 03:11:00 AM »
This has been running for a while, but I never mentioned it here:

battlementat.com

A battle calculator, somewhat similar to battlecalc and speedsim, but faster, more accurate, and more useful (at least, that is the idea).

I've recently updated it with some new features, such as support for saving/loading fleets, and to fix some issues (mainly relating to Firefox compatibility.)

Please have a look, and let me know what you like/dislike and if anything isn't working as you think it should.

FB

Offline WGW

• View Profile
Re: BattleMentat
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 03:24:01 AM »
Awesome FB .. just awesome...

“And he who wields white, wild magic gold is a paradox. For he is everything and nothing. Hero and fool. Potent, helpless. And with one word of truth or treachery, He will save or damn the earth. Because he is mad and sane. Cold and passionate, Lost and found”

Offline Techno

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 03:30:40 AM »
Yes this is great FB.  My favourite.

Morat

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 04:16:42 AM »
It was great before, but the new additions are awesomesauce. TY!  8) It even works on my Touchpad :)

Offline FatBuddha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 02:21:39 AM »
Thanks for the kind words. I've got some more improvements planned - hopefully they won't temporarily break anything this time. :)

Offline Admiral Derkins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 02:26:40 AM »
Whatever they are, I can't wait. I've been loving Battlementat ever since I started using it a month ago.
Admiral Derkins

SFCO       
Alliance of Asgard
Peak Rank- 3000 (Retired)

SFCX
kobi yashi maru
Rank- 28

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 05:33:22 AM »
Just a couple of suggestions.

-  Include an input item for percent speed, and calculate fuel consumption including that factor.
-  Include the ability to check off which of the defenses should be destroyed by missiles, and calculate required missiles considering that input.

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 06:28:08 AM »
OK, a couple of additional suggestions :-)

Indicate the number of rounds of combat required to yield a decision.  Some people are a bit skittish of fighting a 6-round battle, and your letting them know that is what they are doing will be very useful.

Indicate the % of simulations that result in an attacker win, a defender win, and a draw.

Offline FatBuddha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 03:01:47 PM »
The next update will show the number of rounds that the battle will run to.

The percentage of simulations that result in a win is currently shown beneath 'wins' in the summary bar. Do you think that should be presented differently?

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 04:58:22 PM »
If you have the percent wins shown where you indicate it appears, that should be good.  How did I miss it???  I don't know.

Offline FatBuddha

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 05:01:07 PM »
When you first used BattleMentat, that number might not have been there, which could have make it easy to overlook.

If it isn't obvious to others though (let me know!), then I will find a way to make it more prominent.

Offline FatBuddha

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 05:42:31 PM »
I've just updated BattleMentat with some improvements, including a big boost in accuracy which means that the predicted losses should now be even more accurate. Please give it a try, and let me know if there are any differences between the predictions and actual battle reports for any of your battles.

For the test cases that I've run, where the number of losses were previously being over-predicted, the accuracy is now perfect!

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. :)

Offline Zarchne

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 05:55:12 PM »
So chance for a ship to explode only occurs when the ship received hull damage in that round?

Offline FatBuddha

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 06:58:11 PM »
Yes. Matt also believes it to be the case.

A simple test case to illustrate the change is 1 prom vs. 20 carms:

http://www.battlementat.com/#aPrometheus=1&dCarmanor=20

Each of the 6 rounds, the prom will hit a different carm (usually), causing it's hull to drop to about 50%, and giving it a 50% chance of blowing up. This means that, on average, 3 carms will be destroyed in the battle (and for a single simulation, it can sometimes be as low as 0, or as high as 6, depending on how the dice rolls.) The battlementat now correctly predicts this.

Previously, battlementat was mistakenly predicting that on average 5 carms were being destroyed (almost twice as many!), since the carm that was hit in the first round (for example) would roll a destruction test every round until the end of the battle, meaning that it would be destroyed 98% of the time instead of just 50% of the time.

Hopefully this all means that the battlementat is now producing very accurate results, but I won't know until the latest version gets enough usage to be 100% certain.

Offline Admiral T-Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 10:01:56 PM »
Hi, FB, here is a test case for you.

I ran an attack against the following NPC, using 8000 Proms with AWS = 17, 16, 16.  Actual losses were 5 Proms.  Battlementat calculated 13 Proms lost.

Encounter Large Floating Colony [9:428:6e] has:
RESOURCES:
* ore: 3,197,789 
* crystal: 4,111,476 
* hydrogen: 3,194,413 
================================
Total plunder: 5,251,839 (43 carm / 211 herc / 1051 atlas)
DSP: 80,555 (1120 Dios / 4478 Zags)

KRUG'S SHIPS:
* Artemis Class Fighter: 1,288
* Atlas Class Cargo: 1,330
* Apollo Class Fighter: 777
* Zagreus Class Recycler: 2,669
* Dionysus Class Recycler: 951
* Poseidon Class Cruiser: 600
* Carmanor Class Cargo: 23
* Prometheus Class Destroyer: 36

DEFENSES:
* Missile Battery: 11,962